U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:46 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,546,441 times

Advertisements

Very sad. The mind is definitely a powerful thing.

I'm prone to depression but luckily have never even contemplated suicide but I do see how someone could take that drastic decision. As Klm says we're all mentally wired differently. Those that point the finger I feel are bordering on heartless.

One comfort is that he lead a full and seemingly happy life its just so sad that he got to a point whereby he felt he couldn't continue. Having achieved and done so much in life limits what else is out there to 'fulfil' you, which is why I feel spirituality is important despite not being fashionable anymore. A lot of anti-religious people out there, we're a microscopic spec in the universe, I refuse to buy into the "universe revolves around me" mentality of modern culture.

In any case it seems seeing his other half in the arms of another just sent him over the edge. Rest In Peace Anthony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,777,986 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Very sad. The mind is definitely a powerful thing.

I'm prone to depression but luckily have never even contemplated suicide but I do see how someone could take that drastic decision. As Klm says we're all mentally wired differently. Those that point the finger I feel are bordering on heartless.

One comfort is that he lead a full and seemingly happy life its just so sad that he got to a point whereby he felt he couldn't continue. Having achieved and done so much in life limits what else is out there to 'fulfil' you, which is why I feel spirituality is important despite not being fashionable anymore. A lot of anti-religious people out there, we're a microscopic spec in the universe, I refuse to buy into the "universe revolves around me" mentality of modern culture.

In any case it seems seeing his other half in the arms of another just sent him over the edge. Rest In Peace Anthony.
That last bit ... is that what people speculate pushed him over the edge?

Re your comments regarding spirituality. I get it. My husband shots back the same answer. When I have asked him if he ever gets sad/ depressed. His response is sometimes, but then I pray or read religious scriptures and then I feel better. For him this is his outlet.

For me it is exploration and discovering something new that does the trick.
I often think to myself ... I don't know what guides me but whatever you are thank you beecuse just when I was about to give up you have turned my head towards a source of inspiration that has reminded me of why it is important not to give up and appreciate the fact you are still alive. If you don't continue and see the process through you could be missing out on an amazing encounter or experience that could be just around the corner.

~~~~ ; ~~~~~

Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 PM

12,906 posts, read 8,735,729 times
I've watched a couple of his show and frankly I don't find it interesting because he is basically a New Yorker like me who goes around and have the guts to learn from the locals where people eat and what they like to do around town.

Majority of tourists that visits NYC chickens out when it comes to checking out the lesser well known places and prefers to eat franchises instead of local eats. Basically most people that come to NYC are sheeps, they go see what other sheeps come to NYC to see.

Anthony is an old school NYer who doesn't buy that sheep mentality.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:21 PM

60 posts, read 22,356 times
I found Andrew Zimmern's shows a lot more entertaining, especially when it came to places that featured in the Americas.

Last edited by Yaxkan; 07-25-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 PM

105 posts, read 34,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Yesterday I unliked Anthony Bourdain's Facebook page. I can't help it, but I always lose whatever respect/admiration I had for someone when they decide to commit suicide. It's the ultimate let down.
I don’t think people need “you respect”. If you respected people you would let them make their own choices

The same crap people were saying when Robin Williams died. People were all judgmental because they didn’t know he was losing his metal capabilities. My first thought when an older person takes their life is maybe they’re sick or losing their cognitive skills

I would lose respect for people who hurt others not for people who feel Their quality of life is so small it’s not worth living anymore. I personally don’t wanna spent the last years of my life in a wheelchair with Alzheimer’s. If I have to do that to earn “your respect”. Guess what I don’t need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or