U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 AM

4,534 posts, read 891,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Early Indo-European people in Asia also had skull racks. They'd behead their slain enemies, and mount the skulls on stakes in a circle around the war leader, or chief's hut. The Huns did the same. The Huns also made bowls out of the skulls of their dead enemies. Tibetan monks still use skull cups in their religious rituals. Many of the world's peoples had such practices in their pre-histories.
While I have read about stuff like this, assuming those monks were Buddhist, that seems kind of counter to the peaceful image that Buddhism has long had. However, there have been violent Buddhist groups in the past and current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:01 PM

5,839 posts, read 9,485,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There is no real basis to say somthing like this. Native tribes were at war with each other but to say they would have been wiped out is a stretch.
I would be suprised if some tribes weren't completed assimilated by other tribes. As for one tribe wiping out another, I don't know. Probably doubtful as you say.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I would be suprised if some tribes weren't completed assimilated by other tribes. As for one tribe wiping out another, I don't know. Probably doubtful as you say.
Yes you are correct about that. Many tribes were assimilated. That is well documented in Mesoamerica.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 PM

60 posts, read 22,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I would be surprised if some tribes weren't completed assimilated by other tribes. As for one tribe wiping out another, I don't know. Probably doubtful as you say.

In Mesoamerica, it was the conquerors who would be the ones who sometime got assimilated by the tribe. Like for example the Kingdom of the K’iche Mayans. Their nobles is said to have come from the Gulf of Mexico (who probably spoke Chontal Mayan and/or Nahuatl), they were probably conquerors who took over the K'iche' people of Guatemala, but they eventually assimilated into K’iche’ culture.

I think something similar also happened with the Mexica/Aztecs. When they first settled in Mesoamerica, they absorbed Toltec/Mesoamerican cultures and eventually became conquerors.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:44 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,637,859 times
The Spaniards were cruel but the Aztecs has a big fat butcher shop called it religion

I was just in Belize and Yucatán
You know what they did to the players that won the nfl?
They cut off their heads and use them for watering cans for the corn crop

Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM

5,839 posts, read 9,485,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
In Mesoamerica, it was the conquerors who would be the ones who sometime got assimilated by the tribe.
I doubt it was just in Mesoamerica. I'm sure it happened throughout the Americas. But yeah, it had to have happened. I don't know whether we can definitively say there were never any occurrences of complete obliteration of one tribe by another. in the 20,000 years of people living in the Americas I'm sure that had to have happened at least a few times.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:24 AM

15,521 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There is no real basis to say somthing like this. Native tribes were at war with each other but to say they would have been wiped out is a stretch.
The intentions of the imperialist and expansionist Iroqouis in the Algonquin lands of eastern North America is a matter of historical record. Their own oral history tells of wiping out Algonquin speaking tribes completely through a destructive campaign that involved genocidal tactics.

It was really only the complication of the advent of the French and British that "saved" several extant Algonquin tribes in what is now New Brunswick, Quebec, the New England states, New York, Pennsylvania, and beyond.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The intentions of the imperialist and expansionist Iroqouis in the Algonquin lands of eastern North America is a matter of historical record. Their own oral history tells of wiping out Algonquin speaking tribes completely through a destructive campaign that involved genocidal tactics.

It was really only the complication of the advent of the French and British that "saved" several tribes in what is now New Brunswick, New England states, New York, Pennsylvania, and beyond.
Yeah the Huron were wiped out, that is well known. I doubt that would have been the case for "most tribes".

Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 AM

105 posts, read 34,655 times
Oh the horror!

Thank God we live in a civilized world where every country respects the sovereignty of other countries and they never invade other places for economic reasons.

Have you seen those pictures, I mean drawings of Aztecs invading Syria and destroying their cities? How about those drawings where the Aztects invaded Vietnam and there are small small children running naked? How about when the Aztecs lynched Emmitt Till? Thank God that those Aztecs are gone and now we know have paradises on earth like Syria, Ukraine, Afghanistan and Yemen.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:58 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,016,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene1999 View Post
Oh the horror!

Thank God we live in a civilized world where every country respects the sovereignty of other countries and they never invade other places for economic reasons.

Have you seen those pictures, I mean drawings of Aztecs invading Syria and destroying their cities? How about those drawings where the Aztects invaded Vietnam and there are small small children running naked? How about when the Aztecs lynched Emmitt Till? Thank God that those Aztecs are gone and now we know have paradises on earth like Syria, Ukraine, Afghanistan and Yemen.
Yeah, let's selectively talk about stuff that has nothing to do with the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or