U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,100,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah I hope that was just a joke. The comment was in rather poor taste.

Mesoamericans were advanced in certain things. Farming, building, astronomy etc etc...But their biggest weakness was their religion. For some reason their religions never really advanced and it was their biggest down fall. Ironically it is their biggest downfall today also.

you forgot small pox and not speaking english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM

60 posts, read 22,525 times
I know I’m sounding a little nut, but I’m Mayan and I find the Mesoamerican past (my history) very fascinating. I’m proud and not ashamed of any of it. Though my people still practices sacrificial rituals and offerings, the victims nowadays are mainly turkeys...humans are no longer used (though I’ve heard accounts of human sacrifices taking place back in the 20th century). Which is why I sometime wish I had the opportunity to witness the original ancient sacred ritual, or even take part in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

If you are volutering to be sacrifed .... I will sell tickets to the event.
However otherwise it better be a reenactment or that is pretty twisted.

I thought when I was somewhere in Mexico they actually did a reenactment at some ruin I went too .

It really was not the high light of my trip...... but I am pretty sure it happend.

Xcaret theme park does lots of reenactment stuff too. Not sure if it was mayan or Aztec .... but it was pretty interesting.
Those are fake Mayans performing for tourist money. There is nothing more I hate than fake natives, especially when they put on silly acts for white people.

Btw, I’d be delighted to volunteer… if such an event would to take place, everything would have to be real and legit. And since Guatemala is practically lawless and the land is very sacred, our event can take place there. You can also be my priest executioner, if you don’t mind?

I really hope you do make it, K’uk’ulkan is thirsty

Last edited by Yaxkan; 07-15-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 07:08 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
I know Iím sounding a little nut, but Iím Mayan and I find the Mesoamerican past (my history) very fascinating. Iím proud and not ashamed of any of it. Though my people still practices sacrificial rituals and offerings, the victims nowadays are mainly turkeys...humans are no longer used (though Iíve heard accounts of human sacrifices taking place back in the 20th century). Which is why I sometime wish I had the opportunity to witness the original ancient sacred ritual, or even take part in it.

I find mesoamerican history fascinating also and you shouldn't be ashamed but to say you would like to see it? Would you be ok with it if one of your family members was used as a sacrifice?

Quote:
Those are fake Mayans performing for tourist money. There is nothing more I hate than fake natives, especially when they put on silly acts for white people.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge people. They are probably just trying to survive. I have more respect for those people entertaining tourist then those fanatical evangelical Mayan ministers that rip off their own people. They are annoying as hell.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,783,017 times
Default .......

Quote:
I know I’m sounding a little nut, but I’m Mayan and I find the Mesoamerican past (my history) very fascinating. I’m proud and not ashamed of any of it. Though my people still practices sacrificial rituals and offerings, the victims nowadays are mainly turkeys...humans are no longer used (though I’ve heard accounts of human sacrifices taking place back in the 20th century). Which is why I sometime wish I had the opportunity to witness the original ancient sacred ritual, or even take part in it.

Btw, I’d be delighted to volunteer… if such an event would to take place, everything would have to be real and legit. And since Guatemala is practically lawless and the land is very sacred, our event can take place there. You can also be my priest executioner, if you don’t mind?

I really hope you do make it, K’uk’ulkan is thirsty
I don't know. I am proud of my heritage too.... but that does not mean I plan on being a pirate, slave trador, belly dancer etc. The moment has past.

Was there not some cult a while back that was working for the drug cartel near the US Mexican border sacrificing people to get protection from some spirit/ religious diety. I saw it in this show on Netflix called Occult Crimes ( it further helped me realize lots of "religious people are nuts".

When you start wanting to kill people to practice your faith you have crossed the lines in to the crazy zone and your faith is no longer tolerable in western modern civilization.

Ŕe the high priest thing... no thanks. I keep well manicure hands. I won't touch raw meat if I can avoid it .... I don't want anyone's blood on my hands

Seriously anyone saying that in public might be risking getting locked up in a padded room.
There is fantasy .... reality and laws to punish people that purse fantasy that places other people at risk.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:57 PM

Default ......

Those people doing those reenactments are acting.
No different then someone in movies, tv, broadway etc.
They help the average person learn about this time and their culture. It is a respectable job. Not sure why anyone would hate on these people. I love Xcaret for this reason. As a parent do you think I am going to drag my kid in to the middle of no where so she can learn about history and might get sacrificed? Much more desirable to see if while munching on popcorn and sipping on a cold beverage !

Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I am proud of my heritage too.... but that does not mean I plan on being a pirate, slave trador, belly dancer etc. The moment has past.

Was there not some cult a while back that was working for the drug cartel near the US Mexican border sacrificing people to get protection from some spirit/ religious diety. I saw it in this show on Netflix called Occult Crimes ( it further helped me realize lots of "religious people are nuts".

When you start wanting to kill people to practice your faith you have crossed the lines in to the crazy zone and your faith is no longer tolerable in western modern civilization.

Ŕe the high priest thing... no thanks. I keep well manicure hands. I won't touch raw meat if I can avoid it .... I don't want anyone's blood on my hands

Seriously anyone saying that in public might be risking getting locked up in a padded room.
There is fantasy .... reality and laws to punish people that purse fantasy that places other people at risk.

Belly dancer sounds nice

(btw I hope you guys and girls realize Iím just kidding about wanting to be sacrificedÖI'm not that brave)

Old 07-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Belly dancer sounds nice

(btw I hope you guys and girls realize I’m just kidding about wanting to be sacrificed…I'm not that brave)
Happy to hear that..... but does that mean you would be volunteering one of us instead lol !

Old 07-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to judge people. They are probably just trying to survive. I have more respect for those people entertaining tourist then those fanatical evangelical Mayan ministers that rip off their own people. They are annoying as hell.

I dislike both.

I dislike all churches who brainwash Indigenous people and the phonies who exploit Indigenous culture and feeds the mass misinformation for money.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,100,674 times
Quote:
I dislike both.

I dislike all churches who brainwash Indigenous people and the phonies who exploit Indigenous culture and feeds the mass misinformation for money.

word. what you need is reformed paganism or godlessness with a focus on science and the spreading of the english language.

Why speak the language of the conquistadors?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Happy to hear that..... but does that mean you would be volunteering one of us instead lol !

Do you wanna volunteer? Don't worry, I'll make sure your manicured hands will stay nice and clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or