U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
I dislike both.

I dislike all churches who brainwash Indigenous people and the phonies who exploit Indigenous culture and feeds the mass misinformation for money.
Well I rather see people performing rituals for tourist than preaching to other poor people to take their money. Pretty much all evangelical churches brainwash indigenous people. Now a days the preachers are mostly Mayan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 PM

120 posts, read 53,002 times
Quote:
I know Iím sounding a little nut, but Iím Mayan and I find the Mesoamerican past (my history) very fascinating. Iím proud and not ashamed of any of it. Though my people still practices sacrificial rituals and offerings, the victims nowadays are mainly turkeys...humans are no longer used (though Iíve heard accounts of human sacrifices taking place back in the 20th century). Which is why I sometime wish I had the opportunity to witness the original ancient sacred ritual, or even take part in it.
Many peoples of the world commit insane and cruel acts in the name of religion or politics. Not long ago here in the US people were hanging and burning "witches"

A few years back some evangelical church members based in Dallas murdered 14 indigenous Peruvian shamans, because they were devil worshipers, in their opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...shaman-murders

Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 PM

60 posts, read 22,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
word. what you need is reformed paganism or godlessness with a focus on science and the spreading of the english language.

Why speak the language of the conquistadors?

I know right?

Luckily for me though, I speak my Indigenous tongue and English. But it will be really great if all Indigenous people from "Latinoamerica" gives up Spanish for English, as the lingua franca, and everyone departs from the Christianity. The whole Americas will be overall better off imho.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,789,009 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Many peoples of the world commit insane and cruel acts in the name of religion or politics. Not long ago here in the US people were hanging and burning "witches"

A few years back some evangelical church members based in Dallas murdered 14 indigenous Peruvian shamans, because they were devil worshipers, in their opinion.

Re the witches I know
Out spoken women everywhere dobt forget this period in history

Regarding the other part of your comments history shows examples time and time again ... people come up with this god or spirit that we should all be worshiping and people start getting killed ....

I don't think any society has nit has this problem at some point. Faith and beliefs can really make people do crazy things.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I know right?

Luckily for me though, I speak my Indigenous tongue and English. But it will be really great if all Indigenous people from "Latinoamerica" gives up Spanish for English, as the lingua franca, and everyone departs from the Christianity. The whole Americas will be overall better off imho.

That won't happen anytime soon. Guatemala is an extremely Evangelical country. I am surprised Mayans haven't started killing each other over religion yet. Every time I go there, Guatemala seems more and more backward and religious.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post

Evangelicals are screwed up.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,107,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That won't happen anytime soon. Guatemala is an extremely Evangelical country. I am surprised Mayans haven't started killing each other over religion yet. Every time I go there, Guatemala seems more and more backward and religious.
Quote:
Evangelicals are screwed up.

adam smith was right about what latin america was held back.

Church and the crown.

Che was a crazy man.

Can't seem to find a middle ground in latin america

Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 PM

60 posts, read 22,728 times
Quote:

Yeah. Christianity was one of the worst disease the Europeans brought over to the Americas. A disease that has infected and poisoned the minds of too many for 500 years now, I don't expect it to disappear overnight. It is only but a dream...

But I have noticed that the old faith, the old Mayan spirituality, is regaining strength...especially among the younger generation.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,789,009 times
Default .....

Quote:
Yeah. Christianity was one of the worst disease the Europeans brought over to the Americas. A disease that has infected and poisoned the minds of too many for 500 years now, I don't expect it to disappear overnight. It is only but a dream...

But I have noticed that the old faith, the old Mayan spirituality, [/color]is regaining strength...especially among the younger generation.
Why would you want to go backwards?

I have issue with this idea.

If the faith was actually useful then the people who followed the faith would be more prosperous right?

Yes I do get that this comes around as harsh... but I have the same issue with religious people here that are pestering people to follow their beliefs. You would look like you are not doing too well economically ... you have nothing I really want but you are trying to get me to follow you and take your advise
I think people with critical thinking stop and say well I follow you and then what is in it for me?

Critically thinking if the Mayan religion was so great ... then why are the "Mayan" people not doing so great?

When following principles lead to "actual" prosperity then there is an easy buy in. For example you go to Catholic Mass and even if you are poor you are getting a spit of win and a little taste of bread .

The what's in it for me factor needs to come in to play?

On the other end of the spectrum there is the fear that religions/ faiths create for those you start to think ... well what is in this for me. I am pretty sure those people are the ones that get chosen to be sacrifices first as they place a threat to the propaganda leaders maintaining their control over others.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Why would you want to go backwards?

I have issue with this idea.

If the faith was actually useful then the people who followed the faith would be more prosperous right?

Yes I do get that this comes around as harsh... but I have the same issue with religious people here that are pestering people to follow their beliefs. You would look like you are not doing too well economically ... you have nothing I really want but you are trying to get me to follow you and take your advise
I think people with critical thinking stop and say well I follow you and then what is in it for me?

Critically thinking if the Mayan religion was so great ... then why are the "Mayan" people not doing so great?

When following principles lead to "actual" prosperity then there is an easy buy in. For example you go to Catholic Mass and even if you are poor you are getting a spit of win and a little taste of bread .

The what's in it for me factor needs to come in to play?

On the other end of the spectrum there is the fear that religions/ faiths create for those you start to think ... well what is in this for me. I am pretty sure those people are the ones that get chosen to be sacrifices first as they place a threat to the propaganda leaders maintaining their control over others.
Because Christianity was forced upon them. The vast majoity of them follow Evangelical Christianity or Catholicism and haven't followed their own religions for centuries now. There is only fragments of their religion left that only a very small few follow.

Abrahamic religions are a disease. Yaxkan is right about that. We could say the same thing about Muslims, Sikhs and Hiindus. Why bother practicing their religions if they have to move here for a better life?

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 07-16-2018 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or