U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,791,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Because Christianity was forced upon them. The vast majoity of them follow Evangelical Christianity or Catholicism and haven't followed their own religions for centuries now. There is only fragments of their religion left that only a very small few follow.

Abrahamic religions are a disease. Yaxkan is right about that. We could say the same thing about Muslims, Sikhs and Hiindus. Why bother practicing their religions if they have to move here for a better life?
I think they are all in the same sinking boat.
Religious and faith based organizations are a ways for a small group of people to improve their own status while imposing rules on other people.

If choosing between 2-3 bad options is the only option ... time to break some rules or to question why do you need to follow any specific faith? Why follow?

The concept of following a set of rules handed down by someone else suggest that you are a lesser person. If someone tells me they are better at something or knows more about something I want they to prove it. If the only form of proof involves physically crushing or sacrificing anyone who disagrees with them. That is not really proof and they are no better then thugs.

Instead of jumping from one bad choice to another bad choice ... why not evolved and think within the concept of reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

The concept of following a set of rules handed down by someone else suggest that you are a lesser person. If someone tells me they are better at something or knows more about something I want they to prove it. If the only form of proof involves physically crushing or sacrificing anyone who disagrees with them. That is not really proof and they are no better then thugs.

?
If you include Islam in your statement than yes I agree with you.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Default ....

Quote:
If you include Islam in your statement than yes I agree with you.
I include EVERY form of religious and faith in this statement.

People are people.
When grouped together people break off to play the same character roles.
The only differences are usually place, time and fashion !

The fancier the wardrobe the more important the roll.

Same BS different name.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 PM

I didn't realize you were an atheist. Well I agree though some religions are clearly worse than others. Like I said in my first post Mesoamericans main downfall was their religion I am Mesoamerican also though I don't liek their religion but for cultural purposes there are important aspects of it worth preserving. Their mythology, calendars and art etc etc.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM

Default ....

Quote:
I didn't realize you were an atheist. Well I agree though some religions are clearly worse than others. Like I said in my first post Mesoamericans main downfall was their religion I am Mesoamerican also though I don't liek their religion but for cultural purposes there are important aspects of it worth preserving. Their mythology, calendars and art etc etc.
I am not an atheist.... I am an opportunist/ trying to survive .

I don't care about these things other then to understand who not to push too hard before I end up being the person pushed off the cliff or beheaded .

I am just trying to do my best to avoid annoying the person in the fanciest or most elaborate outfits as they are usually the ones that are giving the orders.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM

60 posts, read 22,845 times
Quote:
Why would you want to go backwards?

I have issue with this idea.

If the faith was actually useful then the people who followed the faith would be more prosperous right?

Yes I do get that this comes around as harsh... but I have the same issue with religious people here that are pestering people to follow their beliefs. You would look like you are not doing too well economically ... you have nothing I really want but you are trying to get me to follow you and take your advise
I think people with critical thinking stop and say well I follow you and then what is in it for me?

Critically thinking if the Mayan religion was so great ... then why are the "Mayan" people not doing so great?

When following principles lead to "actual" prosperity then there is an easy buy in. For example you go to Catholic Mass and even if you are poor you are getting a spit of win and a little taste of bread .

The what's in it for me factor needs to come in to play?

On the other end of the spectrum there is the fear that religions/ faiths create for those you start to think ... well what is in this for me. I am pretty sure those people are the ones that get chosen to be sacrifices first as they place a threat to the propaganda leaders maintaining their control over others.

It’s not going backwards, the old way has a lot to teach us…especially the respect for nature (something Guatemala, a small country with limited resources, need to relearn).

Christians used fear, threats, and tricks to convert so many people. We will not progress if we stay Christian, especially the devout versions we see in Guatemala.

We are not doing so well because of Christianity (and lets not forgot the other diseases that nearly wiped us out and caused a power shift to the invaders)…Mayans have been in a dark age because of Christians and Christianity…not because of Mayan spirituality. Actually before the introduction of Christianity, Mayans were a lot more progressive, the ancient Mayans were one of the few people in human history to produce a fully developed script on their own. And Human sacrifice was already on the decline among many Mayan groups when the Christians first invaded.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I am not an atheist.... I am an opportunist/ trying to survive .

I don't care about these things other then to understand who not to push too hard before I end up being the person pushed off the cliff or beheaded .

I am just trying to do my best to avoid annoying the person in the fanciest or most elaborate outfits as they are usually the ones that are giving the orders.
Well Mayans don't do those things now. The islamic world is the few places where people are still beheaded. They like to dress up in costumes. i see Muslim women here in Canada dressed like ninjas.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
It’s not going backwards, the old way has a lot to teach us…especially the respect for nature (something Guatemala, a small country with limited resources, need to relearn).

Christians used fear, threats, and tricks to convert so many people. We will not progress if we stay Christian, especially the devout versions we see in Guatemala.

We are not doing so well because of Christianity (and lets not forgot the other diseases that nearly wiped us out and caused a power shift to the invaders)…Mayans have been in a dark age because of Christians and Christianity…not because of Mayan spirituality. Actually before the introduction of Christianity, Mayans were a lot more progressive, the ancient Mayans were one of the few people in human history to produce a fully developed script on their own. And Human sacrifice was already on the decline among many Mayan groups when the Christians first invaded.

I am not saying Christianity or any specific religious is better... what I mean was the world has changed a lot since then in general. Going back is not really going to solve anything. Maybe a more modern various of that faith could be constructed to bridge some of the good aspects with modern advancements. The world has changed since then.

Progression is lead by rebels. People who are willing to think outside the box rather then repeating the same old actions and expecting the outcomes to be different.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post

You are right about that. We can see many Guatemalans defend president Jimmy Morales despite his open corruption they defend him because he is evangelical and "god put him in power for a reason". Guatemala will never advance as society being so religious.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Well Mayans don't do those things now. The islamic world is the few places where people are still beheaded. They like to dress up in costumes. i see Muslim women here in Canada dressed like ninjas.
You probably only notice they are Muslim because they dress like that.

This is a full debate on its own.

Lots of people argue there is no literal need for them to dress like that and it is cultural and not really faith based.

You do realize that many other places around the world had women dressed in things like that at different periods of time.

Also another things that is not my problem.

Muslim women need to sort this problem out for themselves.

Now I have to wonder if a lot of Carnival costumes look like Mayan ritual costumes are Central American people going to start complaining about cultural appropriation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or