U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times

Advertisements

What the article says is one thing. What actual academics say is another.

Tzompantli exist at many Mesoamerican sites it is no mystery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzompantli#Distribution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In fact, the movie was labelled as 'racist' by Ricardo Cajas.

'Racist' Apocalypto accused of denigrating Mayan culture

How can a movie based on fact be 'racist?' It's ridiculous.

I guess the scientists that made the following discovery are also racist.

Ancient Maya sacrificed boys not virgin girls: study

I will quote one more article where it clearly show that there was an attempt to erase or at least reduce to a minimum the actual reality of human sacrifices among the Aztecs and the Mayans.

Brutality of Aztecs, Mayas Corroborated: Scholars had doubted Spaniards' tales of human sacrifice. But new evidence shows that it happened, and that it was purposely painful.
There has been no attempt to erase that history. There is a big difference what people that get offended say and what the academic world says. What exactly are you trying to prove?? Are you trying to downplay Spanish atrocities in the new world??

Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 PM

60 posts, read 22,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There has been no attempt to erase that history. There is a big difference what people that get offended say and what the academic world says. What exactly are you trying to prove?? Are you trying to downplay Spanish atrocities in the new world??
Yeah, Mesoamerica's past was sometime really brutal, especially human sacrifices and warfare. But there was more to Mesoamerica...

I've also seen people on the net trying to justify Spanish atrocities by using brutal scenes from Apocalypto, which is a fictional movie.

But the same people will get "butt-hurt" from this scene which was based on 19th century historical events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMliaXlKxow

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,198 posts, read 8,032,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Like I already said, many people in this forum appear incapable of debating the issue of this thread and resort to deflecting. There’s no point for a thread if the people prone to deflecting are not capable of discussing it. From the very first page of this thread deflection has been used precisely by the people that should have an honest discussion of this topic.

Those are the same people that would simply deny any of this ever happened, but now that denial is not possible given all the evidences they resort to deflection. They are not capable of discussing this in a serious manner.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And then those shocked and horrified Spaniards set out to kill many more natives than the Aztec ever did. Mostly through slavery and / or saving their souls.

Estimates running about 6 1/2 million killed. So much for righteous indignation.
Exactly.

They were "horrified" and then proceeded to do the same or worse in a much grander scale all over the world.

I never doubted the Aztec history of human sacrifice. It was well-documented. Does not mean Spaniards still could not have exaggerated or used that as justification for slaughter/conquest. Though most colonial powers didn't seem to need a reason to rape and pillage the rest of the world.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,549,733 times
Quote:
Those are the same people that would simply deny any of this ever happened, but now that denial is not possible given all the evidences they resort to deflection. They are not capable of discussing this in a serious manner.
False equivalence. The go-to argument of the baby boomer generation. As Gen-x and Millennials we're not any much better but enough is enough, it's time to dispel this looser attitude and just be honest about the evidence at hand.

Africans were enslaving Africans back in Africa. Native Americans were slaughtering each other in America and wars, slums and poverty existed throughout much of European history. There are bad humans and good humans and certain cultural practices of any race/nationality at any given time which are evil. To say I don't deny this about the Aztecs but the Spanish, the Spanish, the SPANISH! Please, get a grip!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,198 posts, read 8,032,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
False equivalence. The go-to argument of the baby boomer generation. As Gen-x and Millennials we're not any much better but enough is enough, it's time to dispel this looser attitude and just be honest about the evidence at hand.

Africans were enslaving Africans back in Africa. Native Americans were slaughtering each other in America and wars, slums and poverty existed throughout much of European history. There are bad humans and good humans and certain cultural practices of any race/nationality at any given time which are evil. To say I don't deny this about the Aztecs but the Spanish, the Spanish, the SPANISH! Please, get a grip!
It never ceases to amaze me that so many people can’t discuss the issue of human sacrifices in Aztec and Mayan societies without injecting the “other people did it too” or “other people we worse.”

Pure deflection. Somehow they don’t feel the need to deflect when the topic of discussion is the Spanish colonization or the wars waged agains the natives. But boy o boy, when the topic of a thread is the human sacrifices of the natives, suddenly they feel the need to deflect.

Its as if they are not capable of sticking to the topic, they must deviate the attention to something else.

If a person truly accepts the reality of Aztec/Mayan human sacrifices, they wouldn’t feel the need to deflect. Saying “I never doubted the sacrifices, but these other people did this and that” says the complete opposite. It basically says that person finds it too disturbing to simply accept the sacrifices, he must point to other peoples and civilizations to feel at ease with the Aztec/Mayan sacrifices.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:

If a person truly accepts the reality of Aztec/Mayan human sacrifices, they wouldn’t feel the need to deflect. Saying “I never doubted the sacrifices, but these other people did this and that” says the complete opposite. It basically says that person finds it too disturbing to simply accept the sacrifices, he must point to other peoples and civilizations to feel at ease with the Aztec/Mayan sacrifices.
I was looking through the first few pages of this thread and I don't see any "deflection". My first comment was pretty clear.

It is widely known Mesoamericans practiced human sacrifice. No one denies that. Also it is natural when talking about ancient cultures to compare it to others specially when talking about things we would not consider "civilized" like human sacrifice.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

This is all true, but it is also false equivalence. The arrival of the Spanish wiped out populations in certain areas and triggered the Atlantic slave trade. Not to mention many Natives were also made slaves. Probably the biggest tragedy in human history. The Aztecs didn't wipe out entire populations. Would you tell a Jewish person get a grip stop complaing about hitler?

I personally was being honest about "the evidence at hand'. go back and check my original post.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:20 PM

120 posts, read 52,815 times
Quote:
Like I already said, many people in this forum appear incapable of debating the issue of this thread and resort to deflecting. There’s no point for a thread if the people prone to deflecting are not capable of discussing it. From the very first page of this thread, deflection has been used precisely by the people that should have an honest discussion of this topic.

Like I've said, why point the finger to a group of people who supposedly practiced human sacrifice when at the same time countless of other societies have definitely, without any doubt, have practiced even worse scenarios.
Not going very far, Ancient Egyptians and Ancient Jews practiced human sacrifice constantly. And they did it to their own family.

Read the bible, Genesis 22:8, when Abraham was told by his God to sacrifice his son, his son asked his father Abraham where was the lamb for the offering? Abraham told him," don't worry, the lord will provide."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or