U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,043,251 times

Advertisements

Hopefully a mod would close this thread. People here prefer to talk about anything but the topic at hand. Way too many people here are not capable of having a discussion about this without deflecting to other things that has nothing to do with Aztec and Mayan sacrifices. That's how uncomfortable they feel about all of this.

Reminds me when I saw a documentary done by Dr. Henry Louis Gates of ancient civilizations in Western Africa. The moment he mention to a guide of some temple if it was true the walls were a mixture of mud, tree sap, and human blood; the guide looked tense and responded by saying 'where in the world has similar things not been done' as if that answered the question. The question was whether that particular building had human blood from the young men from rival tribes that were sacrificed, not if similar things exist elsewhere. That type of deflection is simply pathetic.

Why can't they just answer the question and stick to the topic?

When people discuss the brutality of wrestling in Ancient Rome, in which men were sometimes expected to fight carnivorous animals and often were mauled to death, I don't ever remember anyone mentioning that in other parts of the world similar deadly games were played. In fact, I don't think a single critic even implied that the movie Gladiator was racist or misrepresented ancient Roman society. But look and behold what happened when Apocalypto made it to movie theaters. Suddenly people are crying 'racism,' 'misrepresentation,' and put great emphasis that the movie is fiction (as if the sacrifice part was not based on reality) simply because it shows the Mayans in a less than flattering light.

Why can't people just discuss the topic and stop deflecting? Unbelievable!

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-18-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hopefully a mod would close this thread. People here prefer to talk about anything but the topic at hand. Way too many people here are not capable of having a discussion about this without deflecting to other things that has nothing to do with Aztec and Mayan sacrifices. That's how uncomfortable they feel about all of this.

Reminds me when I saw a documentary done by Dr. Henry Louis Gates of ancient civilizations in Western Africa. The moment he mention to a guide of some temple if it was true the walls were a mixture of mud, tree sap, and human blood; the guide looked tense and responded by saying 'where in the world has similar things not been done' as if that answered the question. The question was whether that particular building had human blood from the young men from rival tribes that were sacrificed, not if similar things exist elsewhere. That type of deflection is simply pathetic.

Why can't they just answer the question and stick to the topic?

When people discuss the brutality of wrestling in Ancient Rome, in which men were sometimes expected to fight carnivorous animals and often were mauled to death, I don't ever remember anyone mentioning that in other parts of the world similar deadly games were played. In fact, I don't think a single critic even implied that the movie Gladiator was racist or misrepresented ancient Roman society. But look and behold what happened when Apocalypto made it to movie theaters. Suddenly people are crying 'racism,' 'misrepresentation,' and put great emphasis that the movie is fiction (as if the sacrifice part was not based on reality) simply because it shows the Mayans in a less than flattering light.

Why can't people just discuss the topic and stop deflecting? Unbelievable!
Ok ok The Mayans were savages that did Human sacrifices. What a backward bunch of indios. Happy?;

Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 PM

2,876 posts, read 1,553,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Ok ok The Mayans were savages that did Human sacrifices. What a backward bunch of indios. Happy?;
Calm down Urban. Just because the Romans celebrated and went crazy for blood sports pitting humans, largely minorities (i.e. Christians and slaves from all nations) against wild animals & gladiators begging for blood just for entertainment doesn't mean they didn't create an impressive civilisation. The "glory of Rome" is an image that's been evoked throughout history.

The same can be said about the Mayans and the Aztecs. Their impressive civilisations are visible today from their surviving temples and pyramids. Did the Spanish use human sacrificial practices as an excuse to bring down Tenochtitlan, yes! Were they being hypocritical as Spain has left many coliseums standing even in its own territory, yes! However, we should be able to discuss the intricacies of Mayan-Aztec culture without getting our knickers in a twist, deflecting and/or crying racism.

Your statement reminds me of my dad whereby in a discussion he says a statement to the other extreme (in a sarcastic way of course) as if its a valid argument. Well it's not and rather immature in fact.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:16 AM

5,862 posts, read 9,493,941 times
Quote:
It basically says that person finds it too disturbing to simply accept the sacrifices, he must point to other peoples and civilizations to feel at ease with the Aztec/Mayan sacrifices.
I don't feel at ease with sacrifice. I don't feel at ease with slavery. I don't feel at ease with making war with other countries so you can take their oil. I don't feel at ease with racism. I don't feel at ease with calling one group of people "superior" and another group of people "inferior."

Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,553,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't feel at ease with sacrifice. I don't feel at ease with slavery. I don't feel at ease with making war with other countries so you can take their oil. I don't feel at ease with racism. I don't feel at ease with calling one group of people "superior" and another group of people "inferior."
Well that's life, bad things happen. Evil has existed and continues to exist in the world, what are you going to do? Brush it under the carpet?

No. What you do is have a frank and open discussion with the facts at hand sans deflection/false equivalence and hope that good people of sound minds and logic win out eventually.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:13 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,043,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Calm down Urban. Just because the Romans celebrated and went crazy for blood sports pitting humans, largely minorities (i.e. Christians and slaves from all nations) against wild animals & gladiators begging for blood just for entertainment doesn't mean they didn't create an impressive civilisation. The "glory of Rome" is an image that's been evoked throughout history.

The same can be said about the Mayans and the Aztecs. Their impressive civilisations are visible today from their surviving temples and pyramids. Did the Spanish use human sacrificial practices as an excuse to bring down Tenochtitlan, yes! Were they being hypocritical as Spain has left many coliseums standing even in its own territory, yes! However, we should be able to discuss the intricacies of Mayan-Aztec culture without getting our knickers in a twist, deflecting and/or crying racism.

Your statement reminds me of my dad whereby in a discussion he says a statement to the other extreme (in a sarcastic way of course) as if its a valid argument. Well it's not and rather immature in fact.
Exactly!

So many people here simply don't get it.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 PM

I guess you missed my first comments. Oh well. I actually didn't say anything until some called them backwards.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM

5,862 posts, read 9,493,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Well that's life, bad things happen. Evil has existed and continues to exist in the world, what are you going to do? Brush it under the carpet?
No, being not at ease with it doesn't mean I brush it under the carpet. The only thing that can be done is to study it from an anthropological point of view.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:24 PM

19,837 posts, read 14,724,130 times
Quote:
Exactly!

So many people here simply don't get it.
Whether they get it or not, None of us in the Americas today would be here without a shared history that includes Christopher Columbus, Cortez and many other of the Spanish and later invaders. Even most of the Native Tribes of the Americas would have been long ago destroyed by the Aztecs and more Violent tribes. More peaceful tribes such as the Hopis would have long been destroyed.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Even most of the Native Tribes of the Americas would have been long ago destroyed by the Aztecs and more Violent tribes. More peaceful tribes such as the Hopis would have long been destroyed.
There is no real basis to say somthing like this. Native tribes were at war with each other but to say they would have been wiped out is a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or