Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I despair at the lack of knowledge of some people. The largest populations in Northern South America (Colombia and Ecuador specifically) are in the mountains with a climate more akin to London or Paris in Autumn & Spring than Hong Kong or Lagos.
TIL. Thanks for dropping knowledge. Didn't realize that about the altitude. My friend's parents said it was very hot in Guyana and I was going by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
TIL. Thanks for dropping knowledge. Didn't realize that about the altitude. My friend's parents said it was very hot in Guyana and I was going by that.
Ayeisha Antoni is Trinidadian ex-pat in Colombia. There's a growing community of Trinis in Colombia.
You can tell by the eclectic autumn-inspired fashion how not hot Colombia's most populous region is.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:16 PM

149 posts, read 97,042 times
[quote=Pueblofuerte;55070704]I despair at the lack of knowledge of some people. The largest populations in Northern South America (Colombia and Ecuador specifically) are in the mountains with a climate more akin to London or Paris in Autumn & Spring than Hong Kong or Lagos.[/QUOTE

And your point is?....]

Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
And your point is?....
The point is that people tend to talk without knowledge or a grasp on reality and pigeon hole things into a lose connection to make it easier to understand. This leads to ill-informed analysis.

For example you state that Argentines are hired in Mexico because there's a lack of people to fill the societal Eurocentric beauty standards in the Mexican media, a country of 120 million people! You have to be kidding me! So many of Mexico's most popular self-made youtubers are white; Luisito Comunica, YosStop, Juanpa Zurita, Debryanshow, etc. There is more than enough people that can fill that quota. Argentines that go there usually work in restaurants and clubs and yes some work in the media, art and publishing. Argentina once had a budding media/entertainment industry - in fact it still does but sadly with almost everything in Argentina its seen a decline whereas Mexico is flourishing.

Secondly you state from a simple skyline that Porto Alegre looks more European than Bogota...

1. How can a handful of simple skyline pictures convey that?
2. As if there's one monolithic European skyline!
3. Your basis for analysis is ill informed through lack of knowledge.

Bogota has a far more industrial look to its skyline like the industrial cities of England and the North American Mid-west. Hence there is not one "European/N.American" style skyline. It also has more of a British/northern Italian take on the neo-classical.

vespa by Juan Felipe Rubio, on Flickr

Mountains around Bogota by zeesstof, on Flickr

116759567 BOGOTA by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Porciuncula Chapinero Norte by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

BOGOTA 2012 070 by Stella Pinzon Giraldo, on Flickr

"Sandor100" o "Rainy Bogotá" by sandor agustin bernal torres, on Flickr

Agüita!!! by Claudia Pino, on Flickr

Bogota City by Esperanza Jesus, on Flickr

IMG_4192-2 by Luis Hori, on Flickr

Chapinero
by Andres Millan, on Flickr

Avenida Jimenez by Juan Flórez, on Flickr

Seminario Mayor de Bogota
by Disparatodo, on Flickr

Zona histórica by Claudia Pino, on Flickr

Bogotá by Daniel Silva, on Flickr

Panoramic view of Bogota by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Calle60 by PuebloFuerte, on Flickr

Untitled by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Atardecer Bogotano by mario sanchez, on Flickr

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 04-30-2019 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM

Old 05-01-2019, 10:52 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
1) Where are you from ?, You sound really bitter about (Southern Cone ) being the most prosperous and whitest region in Latin America. (Those are facts). I dont see too many indigenous looking people or too many blacks in southern cone on a regular basis unlike regions such as North and North east Brazil, Caribbean , Colombia , Mexico, Peru or even venezuela. Most people (not all ) in southern cone are just meztizo with a more Caucasian tendency. (Fact!).
I'm not sure why you keep on insisting that Southern Cone is so stable and wealthy when I showed many arguments against it, and proved you wrong over and over with several figures and studies. I already showed that Southern Cone countries (focusing on Argentina, especially, which is the main Southern Cone country) aren't the most wealthy, nor the most secure, nor the least corrupt, nor the most stable or prosperous etc etc. You just ignored all my sources and the data I posted, which don't lie.

Argentina is not among the most wealthiest of LatAm, it's poorer than Mexico, Costa Rica or Panama. Numbers don't lie.

None of these countries are stable. Uruguay suffered from a dictatorship from which the country didn't recover in decades, because of how hard it destroyed its economy. Pinochet dictatorship in Chile was ruthless. And Argentina... Argentina is like on a huge political or economical crisis every ten years, the country's history has been like a roallercoster. It's not an stable country, at all.

Quote:
(Mercosur) its more than that, it's also political and cultural .
it's not, it's just a trade bloc. And Pacific Alliance is much more dynamic and active than Mercosur nowadays.

human mobility is pretty easy all over Latin America, not only in Mercosur. For a Colombian, settling in Argentina is just as easy as what it would be for a Paraguayan or whatever. Pacific Alliance has human mobility agreements too, scholarships etc.

Quote:
4) rioplatense accent (it's an accent) not another language . Btw it's Spanish .
it's an accent but it's completely different to Chilean accent. Which shows there isn't that much affinity as you think between Chile and Argentina/Uruguay.

Quote:
Tropical zones are not good for food agriculture beside sugar canes and cotton fields
loooooooool what?

most of the largest crops in the World are all tropical: sugarcane, rice, soybeans, mandioca, banana, batata, coffee... Corn is cultivated in tropical and non tropical areas, so are potatoes.

Potatoes, corn, soybeans are originary of the tropics. Tomatoes too.

Quote:
why do you think Latin countries didn't get strong European settlements execept in the southern cone that lies In a temperate zone better for agriculture
loooooool are you serious? pretty much all of the main settlements during Colonial times in Latin America were at the tropics: Havana, Santo Domingo, Lima, Quito, Santa Fe (Bogota), Rio, Salvador, Mérida, Cusco, Cartagena, Caracas, Olinda, Potosí etc etc etc

Quote:
6) the more south you in south America the more whites you'll encounter
No. You encounter more Whites in Cuba, Costa Rica, Colombia or Venezuela than in Chile according to DNA studies. Again, numbers don't lie.

Quote:
7) blacks were sent in wars in the southern cone area to get them killed and get rid of them on purpose. Read history
Blacks are 10% of the Uruguayan population. Black immigrants are an important part of Chilean population nowadays. Pardos and Pretos are a significant % of the population of Southern Brazil. Read my posts before replying.

Quote:
8) don't you think chaotic Venezuela is way more dramatic than chaotic Argentina? ... LMAO ( Venezuela is practically In a dictatorship), people are literally fleeing the country because they are starving and don't have anything left . (Get a grip )
Venezuela's situation is more dramatic than Argentina. Argentina's situation is more dramatic that that of almost any other country in LatAm. Only Venezuela, Argentina and Nicaragua will have negative economic growth this year in the region.

Quote:

9) all the indigenous combined population of the southern cone will never be as large as Peru, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia and Amazonas Brazil .
and what about the other countries? I already showed you that Argentina has almost 1 million Natives, Chile has over 2 million. It's much more than other LatAm countries.

Quote:
11) I love it when you compare tiny countries like Costa Rica or Panama to Argentina (get a grip) , Peru or Colombia have a larger population so that means bigger problems and more poverty than a country like Paraguay (a southern cone country )
No , they don't, Paraguay has a higher poverty rate than these countries. Costa Rica or Panama have lower poverty rates than Argentina.

read this, please: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_threshold

Quote:
Southern cone has been there and done that
are you saying the Southern Cone has had countries deemed as "developed"? sorry but no. No country in LatAm has been regarded as "advanced economy" by IMF. The World Bank considers the Southern Cone countries "high income" ones, but so does with Costa Rica and Panama and several Caribbean countries.

not all of the countries in "very high development" category of the HDI report are considered developed. Because HDI only considers very basic things such as school attendance.

neither Argentina nor Uruguay are part of OECD, Colombia is.

Quote:
14) Colombia had something worse than dictatorship (it has drugs cartels, guerrilla, terrorist).
Uruguay has guerrillas and both State terrorism and subversive terrorism, so did Argentina, Brazil, Chile. Also, ruthless dictatorships, severe economic crisis, hiperinflation etc.

Compared to any LatAm country, Colombia has a stable currency with no megadevaluations, the Latin American crisis of the 80s didn't it as hard as other countries. It has a longer and more stable democracy and democratic institutions etc.

Quote:
15) European Architecture is more than just (Spanish And Portuguese architecture) , Buenos Aires , Santiago and Porto Alegre (the largest southern cone cities ) have overwhelmingly a more generalized European vibe in their historical buildings such as English, French, Italian, German and even Russian (SO THIS FACT OBVIOUSLY SUPPORT MY OBSERVATION THAT THE CLOSEST REGIONS TO THE EARTH POLES HAD A STRONGER EUROPEAN INFLUENCE . Look at the countries and some of their major cities near the artic and antartica USA ( New York ), Canada (Montreal ) ,Argentina (Buenos Aires ), Chile (Santiago) ,South Africa (Cape Town ) , Australia (Sydney) , New Zealand (Auckland) and of course Europe .
that's just one more of your unfounded, folly opinions, you haven't showed any basis for the claim that these cities have a larger European architecture than others, nor you have given any examples.

the Spanish colonial architecture complexes of Bogota, Quito, Lima, Santo Domingo, Havana, etc are much larger than these of Santiago or Montevideo. Argentina or Chile don't even have one third as many Colonial cities and towns with very old Spanish architecture as Colombia.

And not only Colonial architecture, but Republican and Modern architecture. Many European architects built things all over Colombia after Independence. Le Corbusier help to design many areas of Bogota. The English styled neighbourhood in Bogota has no equivalent in pretty much any other LatAm country.

Last edited by joacocanal; 05-01-2019 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 AM

264 posts, read 136,735 times
Argentina is a country that in 1900 had a GDP per capita similar the the USA.
Today is number 67th.
with 33% of its population in poverty.
and cant even keep up with its neighbors in the region.
as i said before dont let all the buildings in BS give you the impression that, that country is anything other than a banana republic, just like all the others.
as a country Argentina has been good in projecting the idea that its crisis is temporary, but its been 40 years of this "temporary" crisis.

GDP_PPP

1 *The Bahamas $33,516.00
2 *Trinidad and Tobago $33,026.00
3 *Saint Kitts and Nevis $29,098.00
4 *Panama $28,810.00
5 *Antigua and Barbuda $27,542.00
6 *Chile $27,059.00
7 *Uruguay $24,435.00
8 *Mexico $21,412.00
9 *Argentina $20,482.00
10 *Dominican Republic $19,452.00
11 *Barbados $18,866.00
12 *Costa Rica $18,394.00
13 *Brazil $16,727.00
14 *Grenada $16,033.00
15 *Colombia $15,720.00
15 *Suriname $15,362.00
17 *Saint Lucia $15,225.00
18 *Peru $14,999.00

Old 05-01-2019, 11:17 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
When I used the word (refugees) I was referring to Venezuela .not Mexico . Mexico has a rather illegal crossing inmigrants .

2) if southern cone countries are not growing fast enough , it doesn't mean they are worse than other Latin countries . Southern cone did the job of having good GINI , good gdp per capital , good social sustem a long time ago
You said in the previous post to this one I'm quoting that "Colombia, Mexico,Costa rica, Honduras, Panama Have a lower GINI than these southern cone countries Paraguay and Chile". That's not accurate but you are right that Paraguay and Chile have very high GINI values. So why are you saying now that they did the job of having good Gini?

All of the countries of LatAm have very high Gini values, over 40. And some of them are close to 50 as Chile, Costa Rica or Colombia.

Argentina didn't do a good job of having high gdp per capita, it has the same gdp per capita nominal it has 10 or 15 years ago and, in the meantime, several countries surpassed them or came close.

Quote:
Now they might be facing challenges, but they still maintaining good quality of life . Countries like Mexico , colombia or Panama came from bad economies and social innestability. They growing at a very superficial fast pace but their population in general are still in bad situations comparing to southern cone citizens .
Hmm, no. For the umpteenth time, Argentina is on an ongoing crisis. Read this: https://www.proshareng.com/news/Worl...-An-Open/45093

it had a recession 4 years ago. It had a huge crisis in 2001, one of the worst in Latin America's history. It had crisis in the 80s-90s. Before that, more crisis, dictators, etc.

Mexico has a lower poverty rate than Argentina, as I already said. Panama too, probably. Argentinians suffer from hunger more often nowadays than Mexicans or Panamanians.

What do you mean with "very superficial"? Panama is the country that grew the most in Latam in the past 25 years, now it's one of the wealthiest and most developed. How is that "superficial"?

Colombia was much poorer than Argentina in the past, now it has 75% of Argentina's gdp per capita and, for a time, it was discussed if it surpassed Argentina as the 3rd largest economy of LatAm.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
YOu cant include Chile in the southern cone thing, geographically is in the cone, but culturally is not part of the region we are dealing with, la plata-south Brazil region.

chile took a very different path to development.

1) let's agree on the fact that all the southern cone countries are different (nobody said they are the same thing ). But I pointed out some similar characteristics that exist among them such as ( Mate , including Chile even though it's not as comsumed comparing to Paraguay, Uruguay , Rio grande do sul and Argentina). The larger european migration, the similar climate zone they are located at, their more dynamic economy, Chile was not part of the viceroyalty of the river plate but remember they all were part of the Spanish colonies. Southern Brazil on the other side was taken by the Portuguese but also remember both the Portuguese and the Spanish empire fought against each other over the (currently Uruguay). As you can see they have a lot more in common than differences. Just because Chile or southern Brazil werent part of the (political administration) of the southern cone it doesn't mean they don't share similar characteristic s.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

1) You have to be blind to not realize that Porto Alegre has a more dense European flavor than Bogota. Bogota still looks more like a typical Latin country. Yes just by judging through pictures and videos . Today we can analyze closely any city through (drones). Yes Bogota has some nice European buildings here and there but again not as many (per square miles) like Buenos Aires or Porto Alegre

2) did you just give me some YouTubers names to argue about whites in Mexico ? (��) Mexico is one the most populated countries in the world and they shouldnt even need to hire other people outside of Mexico to put them on tv, YET are doing it. I'm not talking random tv shows I'm talking bout big productions like their so beloved telenovelas and movies. (Northern Mexicans ) are whiter in percentages since they are located above the tropic of cancer and have more European descenants . (Monterrey) is the most developed Mexican city

3) Mexican media (through televisa and their telenovelas ) is the most powerful media in Latin America (most likely) because its proximity to the USA . Because of televisa non Hispanic people have a bad stereotype about Latinos. Mexico doesn't represent properly to Latin America

Last edited by Untasted; 05-01-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas