U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,022,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
that would be so if you think that Indigenous of the Americas are "inferior". I'm just saying that they are a very Mestizo country and I don't understand why you, them and other people try to whiten themselves so hard.

it's interesting how such large % of people in each country perceive themselves as "White", when in reality, the majority or the vast majority of people in any LatAm country is mixed race.
Most are mixed race, but their culture is overwhelmingly European. That’s why so many identify as white. It is different depending on the country. For example, in the Spanish Caribbean a person must look at least as a Mediterranean white to consider themselves white while in a few other countries someone predominantly of a white culture can consider themselves white.

In the US people are much more stringent about this, although things are changing in some areas.

To me it looks like they are legitimate ways, just different.

Chile might me a mestizo country genetically, but culturally and the way the people act is overwhelmingly white. Then many look white when genetically they are mestizo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 03:52 PM

144 posts, read 26,605 times
Quote:
that would be so if you think that Indigenous of the Americas are "inferior". I'm just saying that they are a very Mestizo country and I don't understand why you, them and other people try to whiten themselves so hard.

it's interesting how such large % of people in each country perceive themselves as "White", when in reality, the majority or the vast majority of people in any LatAm country is mixed race.
1) Those percentages are not based on (self perception, really?), Who said that ?.,. Those are based on some research and studies, even you posted a chart similar to mine

2) most countries in the Americas are (mestizo) or (mix) Including the USA , what caughts my attention is you pointing out that Chile (in particular) is more mestizo than other countries

3) I do not think being native American is being inferior , but its well known countries that indeed try to whiten themselves are (Mexico and Peru ) because (they are in fact ) mestizo/native majorities . Never heard of Chile pressuming about their (whiteness) .

4) America as a continent has a desire to whiten itself up ( particularly) the USA , that's nothing new !!. (What's the most racist country in the Americas ???, The USA !!!!... ) And it's funny because some Europeans also wonder about the USA obsession of portraing itself as a white majority country when in fact is just like the rest of the America continent. (Multiracials)

Last edited by Untasted; 05-19-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
sorry but no, Chileans are mostly Mestizo and much more Native than either Argentines or Uruguayans, my Chilean friend. And many recent DNA studies prove it.

never understood why Chileans try to Whiten themselves so much more than other Latinos.

Your chart seems to be the racial omposition of each American country (based strictly on DNA) but where do you put the admixture matter????? You complain so much about?? ????....... My chart specify whites , blacks, MIX, native . America is first and most (mix). And you forgot about it. Your mistake is believing america is either black or white . Mestizos and mix people can pass as whites or blacks . (In that way some mestizos countries like Chile are perceived as whiter than native because they actually have a lighter skin ) accordint to your chart Chile is 42.% amerindian but doesn't mean 42 % of the population will look indigenous. (They could have either a more European look or a more native look). When you separate the (mix people ) , you will have less percentage of (pure) native and pure (whites). Your getting confused

Old 05-20-2019, 05:37 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,546,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
Never heard of Chile pressuming about their whiteness.
You're seriously out of knowledge about this. Mexico is a hypervivsible society culturally whereas Chile isn't so perhaps it's no surprise you're not informed.

However, Chileans consistently pride themselves on their boujiness and is the nationality with one of the most number of serial trollers online especially in regard to calling people black or Indio as an insult. The terms "Chimpanzuela", "Brafrasil", "Congolombia" all stem from Chile and you can see these in comments in many forums online, twitter and youtube videos. But worse yet is how they treat Bolivians and Haitians & Peruvians to some extent.

There are some that highlight their Mapuche identity but they tend to be people inclined to a leftist ideology but in general terms Chile are just if not more messed up.about the notion of race as anywhere else on the continent.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
So you agree with joacocanals Chart but not with mine? when they dont difer dramatically lol
I don't know 50% to 65% is a pretty big jump and says a lot about Chileans self-image issues.

On the other hand according to your survey data (the optimal word being survey and not DNA) 37% of Colombians are white whereas DNA-wise it jumps to 55%, more than Chile. However, this is a study done by Federal Research Division not the Colombian census whereby over 80% of the population don't adhere to any particular ethnicity and in other external studies the figure is as low as only 20% of Colombians considering themselves white when DNA attest to a higher percentage than even Chile the supposed "White" country.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM

5,822 posts, read 9,473,330 times
Lets get back on topic. Despite what some people believe, race and ethnicity have nothing to do with whether a region is prosperous. Regions are prosperous because of the way they are governed.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Lets get back on topic. Despite what some people believe, race and ethnicity have nothing to do with whether a region is prosperous. Regions are prosperous because of the way they are governed.
Yes but that's not the message the OP is trying to pedal, don't you see?

And race and ethnicity does have something to do with it but only because of the fallout of colonialism and its consequences that still linger and permeate throughout society globally.

Only now are the root causes beginning to be acknowledged, treated and medicated but the power positions are still very much with us in modern society.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There's probably some truth to that but before you assure your theory make sure to look at the world map and pay attention to all the countries closest to the artic and antartica. (Theres an obvious correlation). They all have a strong european influence/Migration

Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I don't know 50% to 65% is a pretty big jump and says a lot about Chileans self-image issues.

On the other hand according to your survey data (the optimal word being survey and not DNA) 37% of Colombians are white whereas DNA-wise it jumps to 55%, more than Chile. However, this is a study done by Federal Research Division not the Colombian census whereby over 80% of the population don't adhere to any particular ethnicity and in other external studies the figure is as low as only 20% of Colombians considering themselves white when DNA attest to a higher percentage than even Chile the supposed "White" country.

1) try to remember those dna (studies ) are done by specific organizations , (most American countries just won't do it)

2) the DNA tool is very tricky when using for racial classification purposes, as an example, colombia might have a stronger dna component than Chile but its admixture with other races such blacks or amerindian can make Colombia less white, since Chile does not have a significant black influence . The European with amerindian mix person has a more white skin than a European mix with blacks. Maybe this is why Chile perceives itself as whiter. At the end of the day (race) and (racism) is all about (how white you look). It's all about the (skin color).

3) I think it's time to stop talking about DNA and start talking about how the avarage person looks like . Since you don't seem convinced and it should be strictly based on (skin color). Since a person with 70% of European dna 15% amerindian and 15% black dna can look anything but white

Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 PM

Well the African component doesn't really come true for Colombian DNA results because black populations live separately from white populations on the whole. Until fairly recently there were no black people in the Andean regions of Colombia aside from the lowland Sugar growing regions of the Cauca Valley (i.e. around Cali) and the Lower Magdalena River basin.

Precisely due to the compartmentalised, regional society that characterises the country, Colombia has one of the highest population of pure blacks, pure whites and pure Native Americans than any other country in Latin America. Venezuelans and Colombians look in many respects more Caucasian than Chileans do. Many Chileans have very similar facial and hair characteristics as Peruvians just a few tones lighter.

Colombians...

Mainly Black

Mainly White

Mainly Mestizo (Strong Native American component)

Chileans to me in general look like Pastusos a 40%+ component Native American people of southern Colombia displayed in the final video. Sure you have the really blonde germanic/french looking Chileans that came to displace the Mapuche in the south but that's an exception rather than the rule. You should also listen to the message of the song!!

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-20-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or