U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM

713 posts, read 474,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Most are mixed race, but their culture is overwhelmingly European. That’s why so many identify as white. It is different depending on the country. For example, in the Spanish Caribbean a person must look at least as a Mediterranean white to consider themselves white while in a few other countries someone predominantly of a white culture can consider themselves white.

In the US people are much more stringent about this, although things are changing in some areas.

To me it looks like they are legitimate ways, just different.

Chile might me a mestizo country genetically, but culturally and the way the people act is overwhelmingly white. Then many look white when genetically they are mestizo.
I don't see what it's so "overwhelmingly European" about tango (Afro-rooted music), mate (Indigenous beverage), locro or charquican (a couple of dishes with a Quechua name, and made with indigenous ingredients), chacarera (Argentina dance with very obvious indigenous influences), cueca (Chilean music with the same characteristics), candombe (Afro-rooted Uruguayan music tradition), curanto (cooking technique created by Chilote indians), humitas, tamales (indigenous food present all over Latin America), huasos and gauchos (the equivalents of Colombo-Venezuelan Llaneros, Mexican rancheros or Americanian cowboys)... so many things that are not "pure European" at all.

And even other cultural traits of these countries that have little to none Afro or Indigenous influence, but don't really have an equivalent in Europe. The culture in the Americas is something new, of our own. Things that were brought from Europe to Argentina, such as football, which was brought by the Brits over a century ago, but nowadays the football culture, the chants, the hooligans and how they relate with politicians and corruption, even the security aspects of it (the field and the stands are separated by high fences, unlike Europe or even Colombia where there are no fences in the stadiums), all of it is different from their Europe counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
Correct !. ... Argentina entered the list as high income country in 2014, then It was taken out , but re entered in 2017
According to the IMF latest data, Argentina GDP per capita nominal was almost 15.000 USD in 2017, but now it's just 10.600

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft...DPDPC&grp=0&a=

So, yes, it would be probably taken out again by the WB from the list of high income countries.

Last edited by joacocanal; 05-25-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 PM

142 posts, read 26,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I don't see what it's so "overwhelmingly European" about tango (Afro-rooted music), mate (Indigenous beverage), locro or charquican (a couple of dishes with a Quechua name, and made with indigenous ingredients), chacarera (Argentina dance with very obvious indigenous influences), cueca (Chilean music with the same characteristics), candombe (Afro-rooted Uruguayan music tradition), curanto (cooking technique created by Chilote indians), humitas, tamales (indigenous food present all over Latin America), huasos and gauchos (the equivalents of Colombo-Venezuelan Llaneros, Mexican rancheros or Americanian cowboys)... so many things that are not "pure European" at all.

And even other cultural traits of these countries that have little to none Afro or Indigenous influence, but don't really have an equivalent in Europe. The culture in the Americas is something new, of our own. Things that were brought from Europe to Argentina, such as football, which was brought by the Brits over a century ago, but nowadays the football culture, the chants, the hooligans and how they relate with politicians and corruption, even the security aspects of it (the field and the stands are separated by high fences, unlike Europe or even Colombia where there are no fences in the stadiums), all of it is different from their Europe counterparts.

According to the IMF latest data, Argentina GDP per capita nominal was almost 15.000 USD in 2017, but now it's just 10.600

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft...DPDPC&grp=0&a=

So, yes, it would be probably taken out again by the WB from the list of high income countries.
Let's see what the official report come up with and it's not how you hope it should be.
Venezuela and Russia are marked as former high income economies. HDI is updated

Last edited by Untasted; 05-25-2019 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 03:11 PM

448 posts, read 562,132 times
Southern Cone has no equivalent outside of it. I say this from my travels and job offers abroad, not by being keyboard activists.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM

2,872 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Show it then. Don't call my position juvenile because it doesn't match yours. Arrogant idiot.
Sophisticated commentary from someone whose obviously lost the argument. The 6 odd buildings in Puerto M are blocky with little merit as you can't refute this you resort to calling people idiots. Hillairious, you continue to prove my point of a juvenile attitude.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
2) I can still see a more Caucasian tendencies in those pictures , you have to be fair and also provide pictures of how the avarage person from Colombia, Mexico or north Brazil look like , the pictures should be similar like in big gatherings (such as games in stadiums ) and will compare .
No bigger gatherings than some of the biggest Festivals in the world with hundreds of thousands (even up to a million) attendees.

Colombians...

Colombians...

Colombians...

Colombians...

Every region and sub-region has its own unique ethnic make-up. In Colombia the amount of near pure Whites, pure blacks and pure Native Americans are among the highest on the continent. Tri-racial identity is seen almost exclusively in the Caribbean region only (last video).

Old 05-25-2019, 08:59 PM

As for Chilean festivities...

Old 05-26-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
No bigger gatherings than some of the biggest Festivals in the world with hundreds of thousands (even up to a million) attendees.

Colombians...

Colombians...

Colombians...

Colombians...

Every region and sub-region has its own unique ethnic make-up. In Colombia the amount of near pure Whites, pure blacks and pure Native Americans are among the highest on the continent. Tri-racial identity is seen almost exclusively in the Caribbean region only (last video).
That's been the whole point Harry (southern cone) doesn't have that (tri racial) , multiracial admixture . Overall it has the more Caucasian and homogeneous factor . Logic tells me since the southern cone area never had a great amount of natives or afrodescendants, of course it will have more Caucasian influence. I don't think you ever been to any southern cone country. You picked up a random ugly video about Chile to prove your theory about colombia being in the same category as southern cone . You have to be fair when comparing . The only type of gathering where the avarage normal people go to it would be some (game events) such soccer . Bring those videos of crowds in stadiums like in Santiago or Buenos aires , Paraguay or south Brazil and compare them the ones in Bogota, Mexico City, Fortaleza, recife or the Caribbean.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 AM

[quote=joacocanal;55264372]I don't see what it's so "overwhelmingly European" about tango (Afro-rooted music), mate (Indigenous beverage), locro or charquican (a couple of dishes with a Quechua name, and made with indigenous ingredients), chacarera (Argentina dance with very obvious indigenous influences), cueca (Chilean music with the same characteristics), candombe (Afro-rooted Uruguayan music tradition), curanto (cooking technique created by Chilote indians), humitas, tamales (indigenous food present all over Latin America), huasos and gauchos (the equivalents of Colombo-Venezuelan Llaneros, Mexican rancheros or Americanian cowboys)... so many things that are not "pure European" at all.

������������������������������������������
I smell someone trying to whiten up Colombia
Cultural appropriation by Europeans is a very old story .
Just because you have indigenous or black customs doesn't mean youre (Racially ) one of them . Notorious case is Paraguay which is the only country in the Americas that has an Indigenous language as an official language YET the avarage paraguayan is light skin mestizo with more caucasoid features , the pure indigenous population is less than 2 % in the country with practically no afrodescendants.
Uruguay too embrace and has African rooted culture when its black population is only 5% . Northeast Argentina uses an Indigenous language in some areas as well. Not to mention the so called and beloved (mate) which is highly comsumed in the southern cone region , including southern Brazil and to a lesser degree in Chile, but it's particularly comsumed in Argentina Paraguay and Uruguay . Mate is clearly an indigenous rooted custom originated in Paraguay that eventually spread out in the surrounding region. So yes whites having cultures that are not necessarily (European) has nothing to do with (race).
It's very ironic that countries with the largest indigenous and black population like Brazil , Mexico and Peru descriminates and feel ashamed of the native and black rooted customs . And always trying to whiten up their countries. When southern cone countries not being particularly native or black embrace them .

Last edited by Untasted; 05-26-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
That's been the whole point Harry (southern cone) doesn't have that (tri racial) , multiracial admixture .
Neither does Colombia Sally. Colombia is 3 x Chiles, like 5 different countries in one but highly separated. DNA doesn't lie and Chile is very Mestizo throughout. Only the Caribbean region of Colombia (20% of the country) has a tri-national identity the rest doesn't. Like I said before Chileans are like Colombian Pastusos in Southern Colombia, 45%+/- Native American geanaeology.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think you ever been to any southern cone country. You picked up a random ugly video about Chile to prove your theory about colombia being in the same category as southern cone.
1. I was just in Buenos Aires in April and my cousin whose a Doctor is stationed in Puerto Montt where that video is from. I'm not one to boast about how many countries I've been to like Mr Pilot but I work remotely and I'm privileged to know a good part of the world.

2. It's not a random video. Fiestas Costumbristas are a popular traditional part of Chilean culture. There are thousands of videos of these festivities...e.g...

3. No way am I equating Colombia to the Southern cone I'm solely talking about genealogy. It's relatively known that Colombia is an amalgamation of all the Americas. Every Latin American country and even Anglo-Caribbean country can see a bit of themselves represented in one region or another of Colombia. The latter shown by this British Council video.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or