Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Pinochet inherited a 4000% hyper inflation from the commie allende. I just looked this up. In this case, I',m siding 100% with pinochet as he brought down the inflation and opened up the country to foreign investment. You can check Chile's growth over 35 years. The commies also screwed Argentina over, luckily, Macron was elected, so I have faith in them.
Interesting that you support dictators, but of course you don’t have to live under one.

Quote:
And next time you generalize all whites as genocidal maniacs, I will report you to moderation for racism.
You must have a reading comprehension problem. But go ahead and report me- it will just make you look foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:55 PM

491 posts, read 753,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I lol'd at this too.
Autocorrect macri -> macron.... reason being typing more often macron than macri on the phone

Last edited by MrPilot; 06-14-2019 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
time to unsubscribe from this pointless thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:05 PM

149 posts, read 97,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
My reason for referencing history is to illustrate that conditions in countries are always changing. Venezuela was a democracy and the richest country in South America for a long time while Chile was stuck in economic stagnation and dictatorship. Now their fortunes have reversed. This has nothing to do with high percentage of European blood or a subtropical climate - if it did then Argentina and Uruguay would alway have been the richest countries (and before that the richest Spanish colonies).

I brought up subtropical vs temperate because of the differences between Northern Europe and the Mediterranean. There are northern Europeans who believe that their climate is more conducive to development (both of a strong economy and of a robust personal work ethic) than the Mediterranean and that places with a lot of northern European immigration do better than places with a lot of Iberian, Italian, or Greek immigration. I don’t agree with this but you are making a similar argument about the southern cone vs tropical Latin America.

FYI my background is in geography.
1) Venezuela was a democracy and the richest country in South America for a long time (yep it was , once it went (Multiracial everything changed )

2) yep one reason for the Argentina downfall is its large migrant community. Did you actually know Argentina is the Latin American country with most inmigrants?????.

3) yes im very much aware of the 2 (major) types of Europeans (northern and southern ) and I also know the stereotypes surrounding them both . Southern Europe is the poor causin but still rich in the global sphere . (Some assumed the reason Argentina couldn't make it as a highly developed nation like USA or Australia back in the day was because it felt under the southern European hands (Spain, Italy, Portugal ). Instead of the mostly (northern europeans powers ) Germany, UK, Scandinavia.

4) yes I'm definitely making the same point about tropical Latin America vs southern cone ( Argentina Southern Brazil ,Southern Paraguay and Chile have all a significant German community). Santa Catarina in southern Brazil has the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany , Paraguay was ruled by the son of a German couple from babaria , a dictator named Alfredo strossner for almost 40 years until 1989. Raed about Nazis fleeing in the southern cone not just for the racial reason but for the political reason . Dictators in the southern cone had more than just (sympathy ) for the Nazi regime. Chilean Patagonia had a well known german settlement. Argentinian Patagonia has a noticeable descendants from Wales , UK

5) when I wrote (what's your background) i mean where you from

Last edited by Untasted; 06-17-2019 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
You must be smoking some good stuff. How could you ever compare to what happened in the US territories to what happened in Spanish territories?. If you only knew Latin American basic history you would not be writing such garbage.

Let me explain to you the way Colonial Latin America was developed. The process was gradual and took many centuries. You must know that the presence of the Spanish here has been for over 5 1/4 centuries that is over 525 years, as opposed to a little over 150 years of Anglo protestant America (in the Southwest specifically).

The Spanish mingled, blended, intermarried, and created a bi-cultural mega LA culture. The population of what is today California, Texas and in between flourished and the number of mestizos, Indians. and Criollos grew exponentially.

When the American government took over those areas in the mid 1850's, the Indians were wiped out and the mestizos were driven away by governmental policy. When John Charles Frémont became the first governor of California at that time, he complained to Washington about the "nauseous" relationship the Spanish Crown had with the Indians, he asked how could the Spanish grant land titles to the Indians and how could they mix with those savages? The response from Washington basically was: we have a solution for that nonsense, "A good Indian is a dead Indian". "Let's get with the hunting boys." It was said and done.
1) yes that's exactly what happened , Southern Europeans mixed with natives unlike northern Europeans. But what you should notice is that Argentina in particular had (not just Spanish or other southern Europeans migrants ), the country also received a vast majority of other Europeans , Germans in particular, french, English , Scots . So Europeans in gwnerals did the same thing in the southern cone than what they did in northmerica. If you read history of Argentina , Uruguay or Chile ., You'll notice the highlight its made about the mapuches, charruas extermination . That's one reason why in the southern cone area the (indigenous ) population is not very high

Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
time to unsubscribe from this pointless thread

Bye Felicia 👋

Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 PM

321 posts, read 333,938 times
Such an uneducated troll he is.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Such an uneducated troll he is.
You're talking about yourself obviously....

Old 06-19-2019, 09:32 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Argentina was once on par with Europe and America before immigration from northern countries

Old 06-19-2019, 11:30 AM

881 posts, read 923,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
2) yep one reason for the Argentina downfall is its large migrant community. Did you actually know Argentina is the Latin American country with most inmigrants?????.

it's not really a good reason. Chile is being flocked with immigrants too, but it has a growing economy. Colombia has received like 2 million Venezuelans, and the economy keeps growing 3%/year, Peru too. Argentina's downfall seems to be linked more with political (institutional) and economic mismanagement.

Quote:
4) yes I'm definitely making the same point about tropical Latin America vs southern cone ( Argentina Southern Brazil ,Southern Paraguay and Chile have all a significant German community). Santa Catarina in southern Brazil has the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany , Paraguay was ruled by the son of a German couple from babaria , a dictator named Alfredo strossner for almost 40 years until 1989. Raed about Nazis fleeing in the southern cone not just for the racial reason but for the political reason . Dictators in the southern cone had more than just (sympathy ) for the Nazi regime. Chilean Patagonia had a well known german settlement. Argentinian Patagonia has a noticeable descendants from Wales , UK
German influence is also noticeable outside of the Southern Cone. For one, it was very important during the Colonization of parts of Venezuela and Colombia. Also, look about Colonia Tovar in Venezuela.

I don't know about other countries but I'm sure they were influential in other regions of LatAm too. these articles mentions several places, areas in Peru, Nicaragua or Guatemala, colonized by Germans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...f_the_Americas
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloni...e_Am%C3%A9rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
That's one reason why in the southern cone area the (indigenous ) population is not very high
It's fairly high, as I said previously. 2 million Mapuches and other indigenous tribes in Chile, one million natives in Argentina. Paraguay is almost Guaraní ethnostate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas