Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,941,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
1) Venezuela was a democracy and the richest country in South America for a long time (yep it was , once it went (Multiracial everything changed )

2) yep one reason for the Argentina downfall is its large migrant community. Did you actually know Argentina is the Latin American country with most inmigrants?????.

3) yes im very much aware of the 2 (major) types of Europeans (northern and southern ) and I also know the stereotypes surrounding them both . Southern Europe is the poor causin but still rich in the global sphere . (Some assumed the reason Argentina couldn't make it as a highly developed nation like USA or Australia back in the day was because it felt under the southern European hands (Spain, Italy, Portugal ). Instead of the mostly (northern europeans powers ) Germany, UK, Scandinavia.

4) yes I'm definitely making the same point about tropical Latin America vs southern cone ( Argentina Southern Brazil ,Southern Paraguay and Chile have all a significant German community). Santa Catarina in southern Brazil has the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany , Paraguay was ruled by the son of a German couple from babaria , a dictator named Alfredo strossner for almost 40 years until 1989. Raed about Nazis fleeing in the southern cone not just for the racial reason but for the political reason . Dictators in the southern cone had more than just (sympathy ) for the Nazi regime. Chilean Patagonia had a well known german settlement. Argentinian Patagonia has a noticeable descendants from Wales , UK

5) when I wrote (what's your background) i mean where you from
You’re really confusing me now. Are you saying that German immigration is good, Spanish/Italian immigration is okay, and non-white is bad? Or that the fact that nazis took refuge in the southern cone and that the brutal ex-dictator of Paraguay had German ancestry are examples of the benefits of northern European immigration?

And now I understand your question about my background: you want to know if I am white.

Last edited by xeric; 06-19-2019 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,667,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Argentina was once on par with Europe and America before immigration from northern countries
Oh please immigration from those "pesky indigenous looking vermin from Bolivia & Peru" is negligible in a massive country of 40+ million not to mention all the power positions are squarely in the hands of the standard Argentines. Get your head out of the gutter.

I can see where this thread is going and the type of people it attracts. Untasted, Mr Pilot and now this little Pearl, supfromthesite. Yeah not a thread I want to be part of anymore thanks.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:33 AM

149 posts, read 95,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
You’re really confusing me now. Are you saying that German immigration is good, Spanish/Italian immigration is okay, and non-white is bad? Or that the fact that nazis took refuge in the southern cone and that the brutal ex-dictator of Paraguay had German ancestry are examples of the benefits of northern European immigration?

And now I understand your question about my background: you want to know if I am white.
You want me to be honest ? Well my opinion doesn't matter but everybody knows this (secretaly) . Even Argentinians wished their country was settled by mostly northern Europeans than southern ones. Argentina seems to reject its Spanish roots. For this reason I like to call Argentinians (frustrated Brits) lol . There are thousands of jokes about Argentinos and one of them go something like this. Argentinians are Spanish who pretend to be Brits. They want to speak like Italians and wish they have the french sophistication but Spanish themselves think of them as Sudacas (sudaca is a derrogatory slang in Spain referring to people from Latin America ).

Last edited by Untasted; 06-20-2019 at 03:51 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Oh please immigration from those "pesky indigenous looking vermin from Bolivia & Peru" is negligible in a massive country of 40+ million not to mention all the power positions are squarely in the hands of the standard Argentines. Get your head out of the gutter.

I can see where this thread is going and the type of people it attracts. Untasted, Mr Pilot and now this little Pearl, supfromthesite. Yeah not a thread I want to be part of anymore thanks.
You're right I apologise. I was gonna make a point about the inmigration in Argentina . In the specif case of this country migration was not massive post 1900s . The wave of inmigration influx from Paraguay began in the 1970s until the late 90s. Now the Peruvian and bolivians are the largest wave of inmigrants . But considering the current situàtion of the (Argentina currency) I doubt there is a significant group of foreigners making it to Argentina. (People migrate for the money ). And those inmigrants still In Argentina are rather 2nd or 3rd generation of those inmigrants who made it in the country during 80s until late 90s.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
it's not really a good reason. Chile is being flocked with immigrants too, but it has a growing economy. Colombia has received like 2 million Venezuelans, and the economy keeps growing 3%/year, Peru too. Argentina's downfall seems to be linked more with political (institutional) and economic mismanagement.

German influence is also noticeable outside of the Southern Cone. For one, it was very important during the Colonization of parts of Venezuela and Colombia. Also, look about Colonia Tovar in Venezuela.

I don't know about other countries but I'm sure they were influential in other regions of LatAm too. these articles mentions several places, areas in Peru, Nicaragua or Guatemala, colonized by Germans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...f_the_Americas
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloni...e_Am%C3%A9rica

It's fairly high, as I said previously. 2 million Mapuches and other indigenous tribes in Chile, one million natives in Argentina. Paraguay is almost Guaraní ethnostate.
1) those inmigrants coming to Chile or Colombia are relatively new I believe

2) I agree with that Argentina has rather a political and economical mismanagement

3) Germans are spread out all over the world indeed . But again their largest settlements in Latin America are situated in Southern Brazil (odd example. Gisele Bundchen is from this region ). And Argentina too has a big German descendants
4) compare Mexico,Guatemala and Peru indigenous population to that of Chile. Paraguay is a rarity because there you have a country practically half meztizo half white , yet it's the only country that has an indigenous language as official when the (pure Indigenous population is not even 2%) and even Uruguay has a larger percentage of African descendants. I've Been to Paraguay and I would dare to say is whiter than Chile as a whole . Unlike other countries in latam Paraguayans seem to embrace their indigenous roots culturaly but oddly enough they're not particularly too indigenous looking . It's very strange .

Paraguayans : the world's weirdest Latinos
https://youtu.be/c-hIPK4gtNo

Last edited by Untasted; 06-20-2019 at 04:44 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 04:31 AM

Germans in south America South America

https://youtu.be/0dhcbmfh4XE

German population in Southern Brazil.
Less than 1% of population (Uruguay)
Between 1 Р5 % of population (State of Ṣo Paulo)
Between 5 – 10 % of population (State of Paraná)
Between 10 – 25 % of population (State of Rio Grande do Sul)
Around 35 % of population (State of Santa Catarina)

(Argentina) : Those of German ancestry constitute about 8% of the Argentine population — over 3 million — most of them Volga Germans alone — about 2 million.[86] There are more than 400,000 of other German ancestries including Mennonites and German Swiss. These two groups are more common in Southern Argentina, and also in Santa Fe, Entre Rios and Cordoba provinces. A notable example is the town of Villa General Belgrano, founded by Germans in the 1930s. In the 1960s it became the site of the Fiesta Nacional de la Cerveza, or Oktoberfest, which has become a major attraction in Argentina.[87] By 1940, there were 250,000 people of German descent living in the country.[85] The German embassy in Argentina estimates that 660,000 Argentines, or 1.5% of the total population, are descendants of Germans who emigrated directly from Germany (It means that it doesn't includes other ethnic Germans who emigrated from Austria, Switzerland, Russia/USSR, etc.).[88][89] 50,000 German citizens live in Argentina.[9]
Nazi Minister Walther Darré was born in Argentina. After the Second World War, almost a thousand prominent Nazi leaders and politicians fled to Argentina. Adolf Eichmann and Josef Mengele were among them. Kurt Tank, who developed some of the greatest World War II aircraft fighters also entered Argentina in the late 1940s.[90]
There are about 500,000 German-speakers in Argentina,[91] slightly over 1% of population.

(Bolivia): There are 2 different German groups, the descendants of those who emigrated from Germany and Brazil (estimated in about a quarter of million, 2.0% of Bolivian population[92]), and the descendants of Mennonites that emigrated from Canada and Mexico (at least 85,000 of them live in agrarian communities).[93][94] Germans are 375,000 or 3% of Bolivian population.[20]
There are over 20,000 Standard German-speakers,[92] plus 85,000 Mennonite Low German-speakers.[93]

(Brazil): Mostly living in Southern Brazil. Brazil received 250,000 Germans between the 19th and 20th centuries; a source claimed there were 12 million people of German descent in 2000, 7% of the national population, but there are no official figures.[95] Hunsrückisch and East Pomeranian are some of the most prominent groups.[95][96][97]
By 1940, the German diaspora in Brazil amounted about a million.[85]

There are 3 million German-speakers in Brazil,[91] slightly over 1.5% of population.

(Chile): The German-Chilean Chamber of Commerce estimated at 500,000 the descendants of Germans, about 3% of the total population of Chile estimated at 16 million (in the same source).[98] There are 40,000 Standard German-speakers.[99]

(Paraguay) : 166,000 Standard German-speakers (including 18,000 Mennonites, who don't speak Plattdeutsch or Mennonite Low German), most Germans in Paraguay are of Brazilian descent and Portuguese speakers;[92] plus 20,000 Mennonite Low German, spoken by Mennonites who live in Chaco and Eastern Paraguay[92] The Mennonites emigrated to Paraguay from Chihuahua State (in Mexico), the Soviet Union, Canada, and Bolivia.[100][101] Non-Mennonites German emigrated to Paraguay mainly from Brazil, the Kingdom of Prussia, and the German Empire.[101]
Those of German ancestry are 290,000 or 4.4% of Paraguayan population.[26]

(Peru): The communities of Oxapampa, Pozuzo, and Villa Rica in the high jungles of the Peruvian Amazon basin were settled in the middle of the 19th century by Austrian and Prussian immigrants. Many of its present-day inhabitants speak German[102] In the 18th century, German immigrants settled the areas of Tingo Maria, Tarapoto, Moyobamba, and the Amazonas Department.[103] German immigrants largely settled in Lima, and to a lesser extent Arequipa.[104] Over 160,000 Peruvians are German-descendants.[105]

(Uruguay): By 1940, there were 10,000 Germans living in the country.[8

Old 06-20-2019, 05:02 AM

https://youtu.be/KYXeSSrOcMc

South Brazil

Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 AM

493 posts, read 748,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

No, this is a thread about "what makes the southern cone the most prosperous region in latin america".
There's simply no way around the elephant in the room; that europeans tend to civilize regions such as southern cone, australia, north america and so on... it's not a matter of opinion or politics.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,667,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
No, this is a thread about "what makes the southern cone the most prosperous region in latin america".
There's simply no way around the elephant in the room; that europeans tend to civilize regions such as southern cone, australia, north america and so on... it's not a matter of opinion or politics.
Yes but through a history of exploitation, colonisation and subjugation then there's the trickle down effect, inherited wealth and social privilige. Once the playing field is evened out which we're seeing just the beginnings off through tech, the view begins to change.

"Civilised" human society has existed for nearly 7,000 years. People tend to concentrate on only the past 400 years. This is not to say that past "civilised" societies didn't use the same tactics, even on theircown people.

The elephant in the room is that neo-nazism ideals have never died and live on in people such as yourself.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,932,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
You want me to be honest ? Well my opinion doesn't matter but everybody knows this (secretaly) . Even Argentinians wished their country was settled by mostly northern Europeans than southern ones. Argentina seems to reject its Spanish roots. For this reason I like to call Argentinians (frustrated Brits) lol . There are thousands of jokes about Argentinos and one of them go something like this. Argentinians are Spanish who pretend to be Brits. They want to speak like Italians and wish they have the french sophistication but Spanish themselves think of them as Sudacas (sudaca is a derrogatory slang in Spain referring to people from Latin America ).
I've always thought Argentinians were more Italian than Spanish at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas