U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 AM
 
1,093 posts, read 457,045 times
Reputation: 921

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes but through a history of exploitation, colonisation and subjugation then there's the trickle down effect, inherited wealth and social privilige.
Like in Finland, Ireland, Czech, Luxembourg, Austria, and Norway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2019, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Clifton, Cincinnati
121 posts, read 61,551 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
You want me to be honest ? Well my opinion doesn't matter but everybody knows this (secretaly) . Even Argentinians wished their country was settled by mostly northern Europeans than southern ones. Argentina seems to reject its Spanish roots. For this reason I like to call Argentinians (frustrated Brits) lol . There are thousands of jokes about Argentinos and one of them go something like this. Argentinians are Spanish who pretend to be Brits. They want to speak like Italians and wish they have the french sophistication but Spanish themselves think of them as Sudacas (sudaca is a derrogatory slang in Spain referring to people from Latin America ).
You know I started agreeing with you early on in this thread when you arrived. I think other people from other countries in the region like to put down Argentina because it has accomplished (outside of about 2 other countries) what most haven't, and to see it go through economic downfalls it makes them feel like they can triumph above it. It probably doesn't help that Argentines like to boost that they are above many. I agree with you on the fact that even though Argentina has gone through its ups and downs, it still has progressed socially more and its citizens on average have a living standard that is better than most. Some who disagree will post examples that they have cherry picked to fit their agenda, but yet you can do the same thing for Argentina. I still feel much safer walking around the streets of Cordoba at night than secondary cities in Brazil or Colombia. I have traveled Latin America extensively, and Argentina is still my favorite country out of the group for what is has to offer.

What I am getting at here is how often have you been to Argentina or Chile or Brazil or Peru, etc etc? You have got to be kidding me if you think Chileans look more European than they do Mestizo. Honestly, if you have been on the ground there, you wouldn't be posting what you are about Chile. Look past some of these bias numbers and write-ups. Walk the streets of Buenos Aires and I can see why you would promote your "European agenda", but no in the streets of Santiago or Osorno. Chile has proved that you do not need to be majority European to have a progressive and safe society. You talk about good economic growth, and Peru has been showing that they can have a great economy that attracts migrants without being majority European. I think your premise was good at first, but your true agenda has shown through. Europe is not the end-all, be-all of how a country progresses today. Your viewpoints are old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Clifton, Cincinnati
121 posts, read 61,551 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I've always thought Argentinians were more Italian than Spanish at this point
Pretty much. You have the Rioplatenese dialect that is spoken by a large percentage of the country. Plus so many Argentines trace their roots back to Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Like in Finland, Ireland, Czech, Luxembourg, Austria, and Norway?
Ireland was impoverished well into the 1800s early 1900's, its piggy backed of British and Irish-American wealth, Luxembourg? Give me strength! The Austro-Hungarian empire which included Bohemia also used subjugation tactics, same with the Ottoman empire, Slavs and Balkans are not too fond of them for that. Venezuela was richer than Norway in the 60's on a per capita basis and way richer than Finland which was agrarian and Switzerland with its historical "neutrality" benefited from money from dubious sources including those of your Nazi heroes. Finally the wealth of the European super powers have incentivised regional cross-border wealth creation. When your neighbours are doing well you tend to do well as you have strong trading partners on your doorstep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM
 
448 posts, read 562,132 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The elephant in the room is that neo-nazism ideals have never died and live on in people such as yourself.


Europeans brought modern civilization to the areas I mentioned; there's just no way around it, you stupid SJW.

Call me again a nazi, and I will talk to administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:22 PM
 
142 posts, read 26,236 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I've always thought Argentinians were more Italian than Spanish at this point
the culture,cuisine and manerism are highly Italian Influenced but come on ( the Spanish conquistadores ) owned these lands. (After all they speak Spanish not Italian whatsoever. But as I mentioned Argentina received Europeans from all over Europe . Not just southern Europeans . Google German, Russian , Ukranians and croatian influences in architecture and customs in all the southern cone region. You'll be surprised. Particularly in the deep South of Patagonia .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:24 PM
 
448 posts, read 562,132 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Chile has proved that you do not need to be majority European to have a progressive and safe society
The chileans governing are all european or quite european. Same goes for all countries... like south africa was improving with the whites but now regressing with the ongoing war against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
 
448 posts, read 562,132 times
Reputation: 255
guys, just a small reminder: (data published 2018)

so question for this thread is "why is the southern cone dark blue?"

Last edited by MrPilot; 06-20-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:46 PM
 
142 posts, read 26,236 times
Reputation: 28
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
You know I started agreeing with you early on in this thread when you arrived. I think other people from other countries in the region like to put down Argentina because it has accomplished (outside of about 2 other countries) what most haven't, and to see it go through economic downfalls it makes them feel like they can triumph above it. It probably doesn't help that Argentines like to boost that they are above many. I agree with you on the fact that even though Argentina has gone through its ups and downs, it still has progressed socially more and its citizens on average have a living standard that is better than most. Some who disagree will post examples that they have cherry picked to fit their agenda, but yet you can do the same thing for Argentina. I still feel much safer walking around the streets of Cordoba at night than secondary cities in Brazil or Colombia. I have traveled Latin America extensively, and Argentina is still my favorite country out of the group for what is has to offer.

What I am getting at here is how often have you been to Argentina or Chile or Brazil or Peru, etc etc? You have got to be kidding me if you think Chileans look more European than they do Mestizo. Honestly, if you have been on the ground there, you wouldn't be posting what you are about Chile. Look past some of these bias numbers and write-ups. Walk the streets of Buenos Aires and I can see why you would promote your "European agenda", but no in the streets of Santiago or Osorno. Chile has proved that you do not need to be majority European to have a progressive and safe society. You talk about good economic growth, and Peru has been showing that they can have a great economy that attracts migrants without being majority European. I think your premise was good at first, but your true agenda has shown through. Europe is not the end-all, be-all of how a country progresses today. Your viewpoints are old.
I agree with you �� , but read all my posts and you'll see how much I defend and still do the southern cone region. I was just making a little joke about Argentina this time . Don't get me wrong I'm here to support (my region ) as a whole. First as a Latino American and second as a (southern cone citizen). But let me tell you. I am pro Hispanic Unification. I'm tough with my beliefs but I can see both side of the isles if I decide to . The reason I defend so fiercely the southern cone is because I am from the region and I'm trying to destroy misconceptions but at the same time (I want other latino countries to learn about our history and respect us ) and make them realized that southern cone has shaped Latin America history in great areas . )(Not just economically but also socially in terms of HDI, GDP per capita, LGBT rights , women rights ). Have you noticed how much the other Latino countries tried to bring us down all the time ????. That's why I have to come up with facts and let them know why we have the reputation we have . Its called tough love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM
 
142 posts, read 26,236 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Pretty much. You have the Rioplatenese dialect that is spoken by a large percentage of the country. Plus so many Argentines trace their roots back to Italy.
I will say this (there's no such Rio platense dialect ) IT IS STILL SPANISH . don't try to make it look (special). Yes Italian influence is significant but its not all that ... Don't make me turn the table because the same way I defend so fiercely the southern cone I can also talk about the weaknesses in the region. Yes I've been to Buenos Aires and and also mentioned its incredible similarity to New York City. (Not too modern or cleaned but the energy , architecture and the fame is there ) . (Now NYC is not that cleaned I have to say lol)

Last edited by Untasted; 06-20-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top