Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 AM

491 posts, read 753,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Is this HDI? No references.
HDI category
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 10:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
the culture,cuisine and manerism are highly Italian Influenced but come on ( the Spanish conquistadores ) owned these lands. (After all they speak Spanish not Italian whatsoever. But as I mentioned Argentina received Europeans from all over Europe . Not just southern Europeans . Google German, Russian , Ukranians and croatian influences in architecture and customs in all the southern cone region. You'll be surprised. Particularly in the deep South of Patagonia .
I am talking about genetics not culture

Old 06-21-2019, 10:13 AM

149 posts, read 97,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
This makes a nice narrative to support your point. The problem is that it’s not true. The earliest demographic data I could find that is close to the golden age of Venezuela is here CIA World Facebook 1981 . You’ll have to scroll quite a bit to get to the Vs, but when you do, you’ll see that Venezuela was around 65% mestizo and 10% black then. In 2019 it is around 52% mestizo and 3.5% black. The indigenous population percentage has remained relatively stable at 2.5%.
That's believeable. I posted here a while ago the south American countries and their racial composition based on 20 minutes (a Spanish newspaper ). The cia data Factbook is far from accurate and it seems to be based on (self identification) but it doesn't difer greatly from this list below that I think is more realistic Plus I don't trust American sources over all . Keep in mind most countries don't collect racial data in America so it's very difficult to come up with anything totally accurate.

Publicada el*26.03.2010*a las*01:48h.

El rico crisol de etnias, razas, en sudamerica. Los juegos de ODESUR acogen a miles de deportistas de todos los confines *y condiciones del subcontinente sudamericano, ciertamente aquí se ve de mejor manera y mas certeramente el *rico crisol de etnias y razas *ya que se sabe que *los participantes son originarios de todas regiones de sus respectivos paises,* *en algunos casos acierta con los cálculos oficiales, pero en otros no se asemeja,* tal es el caso de países como *Bolivia, *se confunde a mestizos que llevan como ‘cultura’ a la amerindia cuando racialmente son mestizos, *o Brasil y Venezuela donde se ha magnificado a la población blanca, cuando en realidad lo es *el segmento mestizo y mulato el mayoritario, **o Paraguay y Perú *donde por el contrario se minimizaron* a su población blanca. La siguiente información muestra al segmento negro a aquellas personas con características mayoritariamente afrodescendientes ya sean puras o con mayor componente negro,* de igual manera con el segmento blanco,* mientras que para el segmento *amerindio, aquellas personas con mayor componente amerindio mas alla si tienen en menor proporción el componente mestizo* y para el segmento *mestizo se toma en cuenta a aquellas personas que presentan razgos de blanco con amerindio y/o afro, es decir algo equiparadas,* (el afán es informar mas NO crear discordia donde no la hay)

Mz=mestizo;* Bl=blanco; Ng=negro;* Am=amerindio; As=asiático oriental

Colombia: Mz* 52.50%, *Ng* 23.66% ,* Bl *21.93%, *Am *1.89%, *

Venezuela: Mz* 62.59%, *Ng* 21.75%,* *Bl *13.79%, *Am* 1.59%, *As **0.26%

Ecuador: Mz* 50.95%, *Ng* 27.58%, *Bl* 13.02%,* Am* 7.66%, *As* 0.76%

Perú: Mz** 54.55%,** Bl** 27.19%, *Am** 7.11%, *Ng* 5.85%, As** 5.27%, *

Brasil: Mz* *40.07%, *Bl *35.62%, *Ng* *21.15%, **As *2.96%, *Am *0.18%

Bolivia: Mz* 63.24%,* Am* 23.07%, *Bl* 12.82%, *Ng** 0.85%,

Chile: Mz *59.56%, *Bl **30.72%, Am** 9.16%,* Ng *0.26%, *As* 0.26%

Paraguay: Bl** 48.33%,** Mz *45%, *As* *2.5%,* Am* 2.5%, Ng **1.66%, *

Uruguay: Bl *82.75%, Mz* *14.48%, *Ng* 2.75%

Argentina: Bl *84.82%, *Mz *14.0%, *As* 0.77% , *Am *0.38%,

Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 AM

491 posts, read 753,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I'm not denying that and attested to it from the very beginning, the Europeans and Ottomans were the first to harness the power of gunpowder into a musket/fire arm, this sets the stage for the rest.

And go ahead darling..taddle tale on me I really couldn't give a monkeys. The proof is in your posts, that's your belief system like it or lump it.
Ottomans didn't harness muskets? that was a spanish invention.... unless you talk about janisaries? they were westerners taken from their families as children and enslaved to be soldiers afaik. Why would u even bring the ottoman empire into this discussion? Do you have a soft spot for international islamism?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:15 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Europeans brought hospitals, written language, schools, architecture, and modern medicine to the world and you bring up gunpowder?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 AM

162 posts, read 149,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
I lived 5 years in NCY and visited BS. You have to go and check by yourself . Theyre similar in their old classic buildings, their neighborhood, streets. Etc. In fact both cities were /are the 2 major city ports in the Americas from which most inmigrants entered the country back in the day. USA and Argentina are the 2 countries in the Americas that received the most Europeans .
I am in New York ever other month, and have visited BA more than enough to know large swaths of the city well.

With that said their architecture, layout and neighborhoods are completely different. Even the percentage of housing styles in both cities don't even come close to being similar.

They are old port cities with diverse populations, old architecture and robust transit systems, but that doesn't mean they are largely similar. If you look at it based on those categories, you can find several cities that are just like New York.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Of course it's still Spanish. Who said it wasn't? It has a lot of Italian undertones. But you can clearly tell when someone is from Rosario vs Mendoza. It's there, especially to the trained ear.
Maybe for somebody who is from Argentina . However Im aware of the Cordoba accent being really different just like the Andalusia accent is in Spain . But come on accents are just that , accents

Old 06-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I am in New York ever other month, and have visited BA more than enough to know large swaths of the city well.

With that said their architecture, layout and neighborhoods are completely different. Even the percentage of housing styles in both cities don't even come close to being similar.

They are old port cities with diverse populations, old architecture and robust transit systems, but that doesn't mean they are largely similar. If you look at it based on those categories, you can find several cities that are just like New York.
I found them very similar. I guess it's just about how you perceive it

Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
A long time ago I bought “Buenos Aires: El escenario urbano” by someone Letemendía. It should be somewhere in my library. The city he describes looks more European than New York. There are areas with more high rises and a New York feel is somewhat there, but to call the whole city like NYC is quite a stretch. The outskirts look like any major city in Latin America. Maybe there are more contries (a gated community that is master planned) in the suburbs.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You're from the "southern cone"? Could have fooled me with the way you talk about it. You used Quora for references lol.

Yes I have seen in this thread how others have tried to discredit Argentina, and I will defend it, but I'm also a realist. What you're trying to equate to success and what's really been success seems like a stretch.
I think instead of trying to school me , you should provide some facts based on credible sources about the southern cone . Let's analyse (your point of view ). I mean if you are team S.C. of course . All I used from quoara was this . (Why is there such a strong correlation between geographic distance from the equator and prosperity), published on (Forbes ) with (quora) as a contributor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas