U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 04:33 PM

5,442 posts, read 8,125,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
how would you know what's the image they have? has ever been a poll made about the subject?
Maybe I have been to Santiago and figure this out myself?

Chileans have an image of Colombians that is simply not true in much of Colombia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I recently heard a Chilena complain about immigrants in her country (yet she herself is an immigrant here in Canada). It seems to be the new thing to **** on immigrants. In the case of Latin America it's funny (and sad) since there as been much movement across borders for centuries.
Until recently Chile didn't have the amount of immigrants as that they do now. In a way its normal that Chileans would complain considering it was an isolated country until recently. At least in the Santiago area it's like this.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:19 PM

734 posts, read 488,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Maybe I have been to Santiago and figure this out myself?
if I'd say that I went to Madrid and spoke to two Madrileños, and they told me the image they have of Dominicans is that of some Inca looking dudes, would that be "the image of Spanish people on Dominicans"? I don't think so. The story would probably be made up or not very accurately told anyway.

Quote:
Chileans have an image of Colombians that is simply not true in much of Colombia.
that's true, for one, I know they are unaware that most of us live in the Andes and not in hot selvatic places, for example.

But they interact with Colombian immigrants on a daily basis, and I'm sure most of them notice that the majority of these immigrants aren't Black. The Colombian diaspora in Chile is over 100k people and, as the years went by, it became very heterogeneous. There's people from all Colombian social classes in Chile, people from the Coffee Axis, and from other regions. I know two people living in Chile, one of my students (she's from Boyacá and lives with her Bogotano husband there) and a relative of one of my young brother friends (he is from here, Cundinamarca). None of the two is Black.

They might know that most Colombians there aren't Black, but try to "blacken" (?) them in certain speeches, in order to berate them; because being Black is a good reason to discriminate in our Latin American society where Casta system is still somewhat alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Most of the pejorative terms towards Colombians referencing 'blackness' have origins in Chile such as "Congolombianos", "ColombiAfrica", "Culombianas", "Negros Culiaos", etc.
"Congolombianos" is much older than that, it's more of an Internet slur term. Even I have used it in an ironic way, in certain internet places more prone to trolling and flaming. "Culombiano" is very old too.

"Colombiafrica" is the name of a band. Colombiafrica the Mystic Orchestra.

Last edited by joacocanal; 08-05-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-05-2019, 05:40 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,578,132 times
Quote:
They might know that most Colombians there aren't Black, but try to "blacken" (?) them in certain speeches, in order to berate them; because being Black is a good reason to discriminate in our Latin American society where Casta system is still somewhat alive.
Here. You've got it and the reason for this directly correlates with the disproportionate amount of Black Colombians from the Pacific Coast in Chile compared to the Colombian diaspora in other countries. It may not be most as AntonioR says but its a larger amount than anywhere else in the world and they just draw more attention in a society that's never seen black people since before their arrival together with Haitians. Plenty of Dominicans in Chile too but as they tend to be lighter skin they don't quite have the same impact as Black Colombians do which due to their Pacific Coast location, mining knowledge and Pacific Alliance membership make Chile an obvious destination.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:08 AM

24,350 posts, read 17,791,892 times
Quote:
if I'd say that I went to Madrid and spoke to two Madrileños, and they told me the image they have of Dominicans is that of some Inca looking dudes, would that be "the image of Spanish people on Dominicans"? I don't think so. The story would probably be made up or not very accurately told anyway.

that's true, for one, I know they are unaware that most of us live in the Andes and not in hot selvatic places, for example.

But they interact with Colombian immigrants on a daily basis, and I'm sure most of them notice that the majority of these immigrants aren't Black. The Colombian diaspora in Chile is over 100k people and, as the years went by, it became very heterogeneous. There's people from all Colombian social classes in Chile, people from the Coffee Axis, and from other regions. I know two people living in Chile, one of my students (she's from Boyacá and lives with her Bogotano husband there) and a relative of one of my young brother friends (he is from here, Cundinamarca). None of the two is Black.

"Congolombianos" is much older than that, it's more of an Internet slur term. Even I have used it in an ironic way, in certain internet places more prone to trolling and flaming. "Culombiano" is very old too.

"Colombiafrica" is the name of a band. Colombiafrica the Mystic Orchestra.
I don´t think Chileans think of most Colombians as Black. It could be most of the Black people they know are from Colombia.

Years ago I was in Paraguay and some people assumed that I was Brazilian or Colombian. I´m neither. Those were the first two countries that came to mind when they thought of people of African descent. Mind you Paraguay has a small Black population itself, particularly along the Brazilian frontier.

But no, I seriously doubt there´s a conspiracy to Blacken Colombian in Southern South America.

I would also say that in Colombia, I saw Black people present in the media, in TV, and in newspapers. So when Colombian media is shown in other parts of Latin America and they see Black people there, it´s obvious Colombia has a VISIBLE Black population.

The United States is not predominately Black, but Black people are visible in the US in the media as well.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM

736 posts, read 390,262 times
National football team and international famous footballers are what the average Jones use to base what people from a country look like, and how blacks are very good in sports any country having a small chunk of blacks will have national teams fulled of blacks.
In Ecuador this fenomenum is more intense, with no more than 5% of its population black concentrate in a small northern province of half million people, all importants ecuatorian footballers from national team and who plays abroad are from there, from Esmeralda.
Ecuador case was widely discussed in Brazil, because people here know Ecuador is very amerindian / mestizo, pletty wierd having a national team only of blacks.

https://blogdorafaelreis.blogosfera....cao-de-negros/

Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Here. You've got it and the reason for this directly correlates with the disproportionate amount of Black Colombians from the Pacific Coast in Chile compared to the Colombian diaspora in other countries. It may not be most as AntonioR says but its a larger amount than anywhere else in the world and they just draw more attention in a society that's never seen black people since before their arrival together with Haitians. Plenty of Dominicans in Chile too but as they tend to be lighter skin they don't quite have the same impact as Black Colombians do which due to their Pacific Coast location, mining knowledge and Pacific Alliance membership make Chile an obvious destination.
I have seen many Dominicans in Chile too.

I also heard from many Chileans, aside from now being able to tell the different looks of each because before they (Dominicans, Haitians, Cubans, many Colombians, many Venezuelans, etc) were all lump as one, is that Dominicans tends to culturally be 'more like us' than other groups with a strong African component. Culturally Dominican society is much more Spanish than it is anything else, and its Spanish they got mostly from the southern part of Spain for about 300 years. In fact, its few aspects of the culture (DNA, music, etc) where the African influence is most visible, but its not dominant in any of those either.

I think that's what they are noticing. Even in Dominican Spanish obviously is Spanish, but there are more influences from Taino indians than from Africans, and many people includes influence from English too coming mostly from the USA. That becomes obvious after some habits of cutting words and such is taken into account, which turns out to be more common in the Canary Islands than anywhere else in Spain. I also heard this from some Argentinians and Uruguayans, though they were all outside of their respective countries, most just visiting. I didn't really research other Hispanic groups, just Dominicans vs other groups that weren't Hispanic.

Other people tend to be culturally much more African (usually a mixture) than the typical Dominican. I also think there is a genetic connection with much of the culture too, but it's something that becomes obvious after acquainting with the people.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-06-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 02:04 PM

734 posts, read 488,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It could be most of the Black people they know are from Colombia.

I doubt it because, as I said, most Colombians in Chile are not Black.

Haitians alone are a larger community in Chile than all Colombians, and most of them are Black. A lot of Venezuelans, Dominicans and even Ecuadorians in Chile are Black or have Black admixture.

Last edited by joacocanal; 08-06-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 7 days ago)

4,923 posts, read 4,499,135 times
I don't recall ever meeting a black Colombian here in Canada or the US. Where do most black Colombians migrate to?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,578,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't recall ever meeting a black Colombian here in Canada or the US. Where do most black Colombians migrate to?
Colombian main cities and Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or