U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 11 days ago)

4,937 posts, read 4,507,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post

*current* slums in Santiago look like California's or London's.
Not true. A simple look on google street view will show you that is not true. I am glad Santiago has improved alot since the 80s but it is still a lot poorer than California or London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 03:54 PM

471 posts, read 569,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I found some things in Colombia even more advanced than Poland or Slovakia in fact although being part of EU requirememts has helped to attain more cohesive infrastructure developments whereas in LatAm its far more variable from place to place.
Colombia has nothing on Poland or Slovakia. Trust me, been there several times. Driven twice and once with train. Seen most from gdynia/gdansk to Tatras mountains in zakopane down to slokavia and its many castles.

Those two countries are miles ahead of colombia. (Granted I only know bogota) What Poland is lacking is GPD Nominal. They charge like 20 bucks or so at hotels. Even at more known hotel chains such as mamaison I payed about 100 bucks or so per night... it's insanely cheap and their salaries too

Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Speaking of Bogota, How is construction of the new metro system coming along?

Old 08-14-2019, 04:04 PM

471 posts, read 569,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Not true. A simple look on google street view will show you that is not true. I am glad Santiago has improved alot since the 80s but it is still a lot poorer than California or London.
I've been to most places in california, london and santiago... don't teach me. Specially London's gone down the drain with that Khan character of a mayor (we are talking about slums here, not comparing poverty itself)

Cerro Navia: the poorest place in Santiago

Regarding London, I got myself driving into a whole bunch of nasty shady parts of the city, like peferville.... same goes for california

want pictures?

Last edited by MrPilot; 08-14-2019 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,990,687 times
Quote:
Speaking of Bogota, How is construction of the new metro system coming along?
Pfff....what a joke. Seriously, for as much as I love Bogotá, the transportation situation there is ridiculous. They decided they´d just sprawl out like it was Los Angeles or Houston, and the air quality and traffic reflect this. Transmilenio is miserable compared to Medellín´s system...

I´m hoping the next mayor of Bogotá really takes this more seriously and finally gets the job done. For now there are no plans to put any of it underground, and it´s going to be quite the headache to get finished. Bogotá has a good number of bike lanes, but I cringe to think about the amount of air pollution those people are exposed to.

https://www.metrodebogota.gov.co/

Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Why is it that Medellin has a metro and all around better transportation system than the capital city?

Has the construction of the metro in Bogota already begun?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,990,687 times
Quote:
Why is it that Medellin has a metro and all around better transportation system than the capital city?

You know, no one ever told me this...but a theory I have is that a lot of places in Colombia decided to invest heavily in infrastructure not in spite of, but rather because of, the armed conflict. I guess it was a way to show the world that while the country had setbacks, some things would keep moving in the right direction. I mean the water has been potable in most of the country for decades (at least in the interior) when in many other places in Latin America one wouldn´t dream of drinking straight off the tap. That Paisa ingenuity and drive to out-do everywhere else in the country I believe was a big motivation to have the Medellín Metro, which actually launched in 1995. Back in that time, there were even visions of an independent Antioqueño country, so I´m not at all surprised that they were the first to do it. Even back then, the idea was about social integration and connecting the poorest barrios of the north with the center and the rich south. They´ve continued to build more Metro lines, the cable cars beautifully compliment the main Metro...they´ve just got it together. Very well organized.

Now to give Bogotá and Cali a break, one has to understand...those two cities stretch in every direction, particularly Bogotá. Medellín is much more compact, essentially it´s a valley running north to south with not much room to grow east to west without being halted by giant mountains. Medellín is way more vertical...there´s no where else to build but up. So that initial line in 1995 was just one set of tracks, running south to north, and it was a game changer...Bogotá and Cali wouldn´t get the same effect with one line.

If anything, the rich in Bogotá have wanted to keep their neighborhoods out of reach of the "scary" sectors of the south and center. Only now with more and more sprawl (I mean I think we´re up to like Calle 250 up north, plus south of the center all the numbered streets actually start over, ie Calle 65 Sur) are people begging for solutions...regardless, Bogotá is a very, very car-centric city and no amount of "Transmi" buses will change that. Let´s see what a Metro can do there.

Quote:
Has the construction of the metro in Bogota already begun?
Not yet! They claim that there is a start date, but I wouldn´t be surprised if that gets pushed back again.

https://www.portafolio.co/economia/i...e-fecha-529347

Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 AM

742 posts, read 391,562 times
Quote:
I was trying to find slums in santiago but they were all pictures from the 80's and no longer applicable or they were of santiago de cuba. Also pictures after some natural disaster.

Uruguay has very crappy public transport system; montevideo has no metro etc.

Puerto rico's san juan is shown in postcards just as the picture I sent. Google it yourself

*current* slums in Santiago look like California's or London's. (See Cerro Navia, Santiago's most modest community)
True.

Mr Pilot are you swedish of chilean background? You are really knowledged in Chile.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:39 AM

740 posts, read 490,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
This shows you how little they have contacts or know about blacks , simply because in these southern cone countries the afrodescendants numbers are low, like in Argentina and Uruguay. And I can assure you is not very common to see huge number of (pure) indigenous either .
Not really, we discussed this subject over and over ITT, and I showed you with Census data and other info that almost 1 on 10 Uruguayans is Afro-Uruguayan; and that there are over 1 million indigenous peoples in Argentina and like 2 million in Chile.

Quote:
Whatever it may be, it makes sense that nearby countries in the southern cone grow faster
that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The average Uruguayan enjoys a far higher standard of living and quality of life than any other Latin American country.
"far higher"? not at all. Uruguay isn't that much richer than the LatAm average, and also it's a fairly expensive country.

there are big social issues in Uruguay. the homicide rate in Montevideo is higher than in Bogotá, for one.

South American countries don't have such huge gaps in wealth between each other, as it happens in other continents. If we were to compare SA countries with Eastern European ones in terms of wealth, countries like Chile or Uruguay would be comparable to Bulgaria or Croatia; Colombia, Brazil or Peru would be comparable to Serbia; and Bolivia, between Ukraine and Moldova. No SA country is as wealthy as a Western European one.

Uruguay's quality of life is just a little bit higher than that of Mexico, Panama or CR. And there are many comparable regions all over LatAm, with an even higher population than Uruguay that enjoy a similar quality of life/wealth, such as several Brazilian states (South Brazil alone is wealthier than Uruguay), several Mexican states, departments like Santander in Colombia or Moquegua in Peru, etc.

Quote:
Uruguay around 40 and Chile 47 gini index.
that's actually a lot of difference. But yes, unequality is a huge problem all over Latin America.

Quote:
I was trying to find slums in santiago but they were all pictures from the 80's and no longer applicable or they were of santiago de cuba.
I already proved you wrong on a previous post on that subject: http://www.city-data.com/forum/55264125-post270.html

91 campamentos (slums)were identified in the Metropolitan region in 2018, according to the Ministerio de Vivienda y Urbanismo (Minvu).

The number for the whole country rose by 165 new campamentos since 2011.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Econom...-en-Chile.html

Quote:
*current* slums in Santiago look like California's or London's. (See Cerro Navia, Santiago's most modest community)
California and the UK are waay wealthier and have a much more advanced economy than Chile.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 AM

742 posts, read 391,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Not really, we discussed this subject over and over ITT, and I showed you with Census data and other info that almost 1 on 10 Uruguayans is Afro-Uruguayan; and that there are over 1 million indigenous peoples in Argentina and like 2 million in Chile.

that's not true.

"far higher"? not at all. Uruguay isn't that much richer than the LatAm average, and also it's a fairly expensive country.

there are big social issues in Uruguay. the homicide rate in Montevideo is higher than in Bogotá, for one.

South American countries don't have such huge gaps in wealth between each other, as it happens in other continents. If we were to compare SA countries with Eastern European ones in terms of wealth, countries like Chile or Uruguay would be comparable to Bulgaria or Croatia; Colombia, Brazil or Peru would be comparable to Serbia; and Bolivia, between Ukraine and Moldova. No SA country is as wealthy as a Western European one.

Uruguay's quality of life is just a little bit higher than that of Mexico, Panama or CR. And there are many comparable regions all over LatAm, with an even higher population than Uruguay that enjoy a similar quality of life/wealth, such as several Brazilian states (South Brazil alone is wealthier than Uruguay), several Mexican states, departments like Santander in Colombia or Moquegua in Peru, etc.

that's actually a lot of difference. But yes, unequality is a huge problem all over Latin America.

I already proved you wrong on a previous post on that subject: http://www.city-data.com/forum/55264125-post270.html

91 campamentos (slums)were identified in the Metropolitan region in 2018, according to the Ministerio de Vivienda y Urbanismo (Minvu).

The number for the whole country rose by 165 new campamentos since 2011.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Econom...-en-Chile.html

California and the UK are waay wealthier and have a much more advanced economy than Chile.
In this link you put, talk about 40.000 families (160.000 people?) in Chile living in slums... For a 18 millions people country it is nothing, it is 1%, it is what is found in any first world country. I am sure Chile is not as rich as UK or California, Chile is on the level of Portugal.

what problem do you guys have recognizing that a neighboring country is better off?

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacion...a-de-1985.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or