U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2019, 02:18 PM
 
748 posts, read 499,225 times
Reputation: 414

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Regarding campamentos, it's true they are increasing near the borders... I'd assume that's a natural evolution if you import 10% (1.5 million) non-educated haitians, colombians, peruvians and venezuelan (these might be educated though) in a VERY short time

Actually immigrants have 1.6 years more of education on average than Chilean nationals: https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacion...-en-Chile.html

Two thirds of the new campamentos since 2011 were built by Chilean nationals: https://www.duna.cl/programa/duna-en...-los-chilenos/

of course Chile and Croatia don't have exactly the same level of development, but a similar one. Also I don't think HDI is a good measure to compare countries. Venezuela is not more developed or liveable than its neighbors despite having a higher HDI. Likewise, I think Portugal (and probably Croatia too) enjoy a higher quality of life than Chile despite of having a lower HDI value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM
 
149 posts, read 33,087 times
Reputation: 28
A little reminder for everyone . I love all your stories but according to (official) sourses the picture still looks like this.... Southern cone is still in the front row among the high income countries . Some of your tiny Caribbean islands are fine but they're just too small. I'm still waiting to see brazil, colombia, Venezuela , Mexico in this picture , whats going on?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worl...income_economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 PM
 
149 posts, read 33,087 times
Reputation: 28
Since so many people here are challenging southern cone being as the most prosperous region in Latin America and certainly (in the world). Can anyone tell me WHY the southern cone countries are still among the high income contries????..... Somebodys lying here ! ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:05 AM
 
480 posts, read 574,525 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Actually immigrants have 1.6 years more of education on average than Chilean nationals: https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacion...-en-Chile.html

Two thirds of the new campamentos since 2011 were built by Chilean nationals: https://www.duna.cl/programa/duna-en...-los-chilenos/

of course Chile and Croatia don't have exactly the same level of development, but a similar one. Also I don't think HDI is a good measure to compare countries. Venezuela is not more developed or liveable than its neighbors despite having a higher HDI. Likewise, I think Portugal (and probably Croatia too) enjoy a higher quality of life than Chile despite of having a lower HDI value.
We could not disagree more. First of all, everyone knows Chile-Chileans is-are top performers in the region in
regards to education. The poorest countries sending immigrants to Chile are not more educated than the Chileans themselves. It's like saying the Afghan "kids" coming here to Sweden are more educated than us, Swedes, lol.

Here's another real study over a longer period showing only 11% has higher education and only 60% has BASIC education: https://www.latercera.com/noticia/ni...mpleos-ocupan/
Which is far less than the average Chilean-


I will also add, that amount of school years matters not. You think eleven years of school in Haiti gives you same knowledge than 11 years of Chilean studies?

I know all of Croatia, and barring the absolute worst of Chile, Croatia is lagging behind. Trust me, I know all cities of croatia and chile. (CROATIA IS A HIGH INCOME COUNTRY, CHILE IS A VERY HIGH INCOME COUNTRY, SEE MAP)

Regarding HDI, there's nothing better atm than this measurement; it also measures the intangibles that affect people's day to day life.

INCOME MAP:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 05:12 AM
 
480 posts, read 574,525 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
Since so many people here are challenging southern cone being as the most prosperous region in Latin America and certainly (in the world). Can anyone tell me WHY the southern cone countries are still among the high income contries????..... Somebodys lying here ! ..
not just "HIGH INCOME COUNTRIES", but "VERY HIGH INCOME COUNTRIES"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM
 
748 posts, read 499,225 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
We could not disagree more.
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's the facts. According to these stats, immigrants in Chile are more educated than Chileans. It's an statistic fact. Just read the link.

Now if you compare Chileans to other nationalities (not immigrants) Chileans aren't that much better educated anyway. If you compare the 2015 PISA scores of Bogotá, a city of 8 million people, with the scores of Chile (17 million people), Bogotá has better scores at all of the three subjects (reading, maths and science) and would rank better if it was a separate country. So, quality of education in Chile is not really that impressive.



Quote:
Here's another real study over a longer period showing only 11% has higher education and only 60% has BASIC education: https://www.latercera.com/noticia/ni...mpleos-ocupan/
What? No. The link says 31.5% of immigrants have a college or a technical degree (professional education) and other 42.7% has a highschool diploma.

and it's far more what Chileans have, not far less. 21% of Chileans has higher education, 10% less than immigrants: https://noticias.universia.cl/educac...-completa.html


Quote:
I know all of Croatia, and barring the absolute worst of Chile, Croatia is lagging behind. Trust me, I know all cities of croatia and chile.
there isn't that much difference between Croatia's GNI per capita in USD (13,830) and Chile's one (14,670) according to the World Bank.

HDI is very limited, but it's popular because it encompasses many countries. In order to encompass so many countries, it was supposed to be very simple and limited, and it is.


Also it's nice to see that you posted a more updated map showing real data: that Argentina is not considered a high income country. Actually, with the latest depreciation of the ARS, Argentina's GDP per capita become very low, something like 7000 USD or even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:16 PM
 
480 posts, read 574,525 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's the facts. According to these stats, immigrants in Chile are more educated than Chileans. It's an statistic fact. Just read the link.

Now if you compare Chileans to other nationalities (not immigrants) Chileans aren't that much better educated anyway. If you compare the 2015 PISA scores of Bogotá, a city of 8 million people, with the scores of Chile (17 million people), Bogotá has better scores at all of the three subjects (reading, maths and science) and would rank better if it was a separate country. So, quality of education in Chile is not really that impressive.



What? No. The link says 31.5% of immigrants have a college or a technical degree (professional education) and other 42.7% has a highschool diploma.

and it's far more what Chileans have, not far less. 21% of Chileans has higher education, 10% less than immigrants: https://noticias.universia.cl/educac...-completa.html




there isn't that much difference between Croatia's GNI per capita in USD (13,830) and Chile's one (14,670) according to the World Bank.

HDI is very limited, but it's popular because it encompasses many countries. In order to encompass so many countries, it was supposed to be very simple and limited, and it is.


Also it's nice to see that you posted a more updated map showing real data: that Argentina is not considered a high income country. Actually, with the latest depreciation of the ARS, Argentina's GDP per capita become very low, something like 7000 USD or even less.
joacoanal, you are a moron and I will ignore you because:
1) you compare the *entire* chilean population (toddlers, babies, handicapped and elderly) vs immigrants in the work force!
remember, 61% has only basic schooling; 34% secondary, 5% Uneducated

2) you say 31.5% of immigrants have a college or a technical degree (professional education) and other 42.7% has a highschool diploma. While the article also say 62% have only basic education and 5% no education at all.... yeah, go ahead and add the percentages together see if it's 100%... moron learn math

3) Just after that couple of years old article you linked, no less than an additional hundred thousand entered chile from the glorious island of Haiti. That pushes the diaspora to upwards of a quarter million haitians

4) you are comparing a country's PISA score vs a city! don't know why you apply the moronic logic of quantity.... by that I mean the idiots saying India is more developed than Denmark because there's more money in India.... same goes for your logic...

5) I keep repeating myself: Croatia's economy is on a different level than Chile's. Just an example: Croatian hotels costs about 30-70 euros per night, while in Chile it's at 90-300 euros per night. Salaries are really low in Croatia but it will improve with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Status: "Life goes on..." (set 11 days ago)
 
5,545 posts, read 8,205,328 times
Reputation: 4354
I'm still wondering why in that chart they included Argentina when they have no stats at all for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:19 PM
 
480 posts, read 574,525 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm still wondering why in that chart they included Argentina when they have no stats at all for this country.
Also, "What makes the Southern Cone the most literate region in Latin America?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 AM
 
154 posts, read 31,644 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm still wondering why in that chart they included Argentina when they have no stats at all for this country.
because whoever made the chart still wants to push the idea the Argentina is a leading country in the region when in fact is a middle of the road country at this point. and sinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top