Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM

491 posts, read 750,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Southern Chile is not European majority; as I said, most of the Mapuche population in the country live in the south, and the rest of the pop is mainly Mestizo as in the rest of the country.
I lived a few years in the south and I can attest that its mostly European. In fact, I'd say Argentina, Chile and Uruguay is mostly white. I spent only 2 years in Uruguay, 1 year in Argentina and 6 years in total in Chile.
Im swedish btw.

some data: (not survey data like jaocanal is posting)
An autosomal DNA study from 2014 found out Chile to be 44.34% (± 3.9%) Native American, 51.85% (± 5.44%) European and 3.81% (± 0.45%) African.[15][16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._Southern_Cone

its mostly european, which goes in line with what I saw. Btw, Chileans have no visa requirement to other developed nations.

Last edited by MrPilot; 05-17-2019 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 PM

9,917 posts, read 14,779,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
I lived a few years in the south and I can attest that its mostly European. In fact, I'd say Argentina, Chile and Uruguay is mostly white. I spent only 2 years in Uruguay, 1 year in Argentina and 6 years in total in Chile.
Im swedish btw.

An autosomal DNA study from 2014 found out Chile to be 44.34% (± 3.9%) Native American, 51.85% (± 5.44%) European and 3.81% (± 0.45%) African.[15][16]

its mostly european, which goes in line with what I saw. Btw, Chileans have no visa requirement to other developed nations.
Generally speaking, European mixed with Native American look more on the European side than European mixed with African on the same percentages. To put it another way, it takes more Native American blood than African blood to make a person look more European or a person will look European with less European autosomal input when a person is mixed with Native American than with African. Put them side by side to see what I mean.

The average person may looked European in Chile, but their autosomal average isn’t very different from most other latino countries. They are more developed though.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 AM

491 posts, read 750,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Generally speaking, European mixed with Native American look more on the European side
Dear Antonio, DNA-results isn't about "looks". Go ahead and check out the wiki page I posted.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM

149 posts, read 96,445 times
Quote:
Im swedish btw.

Are you really swedish ?�� mmmmmm (I say it because the avarage true European see America as multiracial and would never make comments about certain American countries being whiter . (I live in Europe ). Let's not exaggerate over southern cone or any country (outside of Europe itself ) being really white . Anybody white (not originally) from Europe hardly can be as European as people from Sweden , Spain, Germany, Italy or France in their dna , particularly in the Americas which is very mixed up. Even the whitest and blondest person from Australia , Canada, Argentina or USA have a noticeable differenciation from a person born and raised in Europe . You can see and sense the aboriginal, black or native DNA on them , regardless of how (white) they look

2) the highest percentage of European dna a person from the Americas can have is 70% (on avarage), it's highly doubtful and suspicious to hear some countries in the Americas having 88%??? Of whites ?, Not even Canada , ironically among the southern cone independent countries (Argentina , Chile and Paraguay , URUGUAY has the highest percentage of African descendants (5%) YET everyone is portraying them as the whitest in America

3) This is a very ( general ) average of American countries with the highest percentage of white population (not perfect but this is based on CIA World Factbook and the Newspaper (20 minutos from Spain). It's very challenging to come up with something too accurate but there you go (SOMEHOW I DONT TRUST ANY AMERICAN DATA PROVIDER LIKE CIA because they manipulate too much , Id rather go with some European sources like 20 minutos . The two difer a little but not hugely . Keep in mind countries that are considered moslty mestizo, (in fact ) have a larger white population but they go unnoticed because their government DO NOT collect (racial data) so (they find it easy to considered everyone as (mostly mestizo)

1) Canada: (74% whites), (03% blacks), (03 mix), (05% native), (14% Asian)

2) USA: (70% whites), (13% blacks) , (11% mix), (1% native), (6% Asian)

3) Argentina: (70% whites) , (00,4% black) , (25%mix) ,(2,5% native)

4) Uruguay: (70% whites), (black 5%) , ( 25% mix ),

5) Costa Rica : (70% whites), (1% black), (25% mix), (05% native)

6) Chile: (64% whites), (?% blacks), (30% mix), (6% native)

7) Cuba: (64% whites), (9% black), (26% mix)

8) Paraguay: (48% whites), (?% blacks), (45% mix), (2% native)

9) Brazil : (46% whites), (7,6% blacks), (43% mix), (00,4 %native), ( 1% Asian)

10) venezuela: (43% whites), (3,6% blacks), (51,6% mix), (1,2% native)

11) Colombia: ( 37% whites), (10%blacks), (49% mix), (3,4% native)

Last edited by Untasted; 05-18-2019 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 02:45 PM

881 posts, read 912,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post

1) Canada: (74% whites), (03% blacks), (03 mix), (05% native), (14% Asian)

2) USA: (70% whites), (13% blacks) , (11% mix), (1% native), (6% Asian)

3) Argentina: (70% whites) , (00,4% black) , (25%mix) ,(2,5% native)

4) Uruguay: (70% whites), (black 5%) , ( 25% mix ),

5) Costa Rica : (70% whites), (1% black), (25% mix), (05% native)

6) Chile: (64% whites), (?% blacks), (30% mix), (6% native)

7) Cuba: (64% whites), (9% black), (26% mix)

8) Paraguay: (48% whites), (?% blacks), (45% mix), (2% native)

9) Brazil : (46% whites), (7,6% blacks), (43% mix), (00,4 %native), ( 1% Asian)

10) venezuela: (43% whites), (3,6% blacks), (51,6% mix), (1,2% native)

11) Colombia: ( 37% whites), (10%blacks), (49% mix), (3,4% native)

that percentages are self perception, racial self-identification, not reality. Most of that data comes from National Census surveys.

it just means than Chileans, Costa Ricans, Cubans and Paraguayans (and the others to a lesser degree) tend to perceive themselves much more White than what they actually are.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Im swedish btw.

sorry but no, Chileans are mostly Mestizo and much more Native than either Argentines or Uruguayans, my Chilean friend. And many recent DNA studies prove it.

never understood why Chileans try to Whiten themselves so much more than other Latinos.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:15 PM

321 posts, read 331,054 times
^^Agree with the above post, those percentages posted by untasted are ridiculous, there's no way Paraguay, Costa Rica or Chile have that much white people.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Default southern cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
sorry but no, Chileans are mostly Mestizo and much more Native than either Argentines or Uruguayans, my Chilean friend. And many recent DNA studies prove it.

never understood why Chileans try to Whiten themselves so much more than other Latinos.

1) Interesting chart where did you get that from? BUT do you have difficulties reading???
the top 11 of countries with highest European component in your chart is Practically THE SAME as my chart. lol>, thats exactly what i was refering to, countries that are said to be mostly mestizo have in fact a stronger european dna , (notorious cases are, central America and Paraguay). self perception is limited and we cant rely on that 100 %, but my chart and yours are actually adding some true to that. I do agree with you that chile has indeed a strong native dna just like most countries in the americas, but no as strong as Peru , bolivia or Mexico. Im not Chilean but it seems you want to bring them down., those pictures look more like MEMES. I have lived in NYC for a long time and i have met people from all over the world and also i see videos of big gatherings, tv news, strikings from all those latino countries , but i also visited some of them and its NOT very difficult to see how the avarage person from different countries looks like and this list proves that i was always right, the avarage person from the countries below indeed have and look more caucasian. i was always noticed in particular central americans being more caucasians than mexicans for instance, the case of paraguay makes sense being in the middle of the region that received most europeans in latinamerica (argentina and southern brazil) its a southern cone country after all.

1. Uruguay 83%
2. Canada 76%
3. USA 75%
4. Cuba 72%
5. Brazil 71%
6. Argentina 70%
7. Puerto Rico 64%
8. Nicaragua 57%
9. Venezuela 55%
10. Colombia 55%
11. Paraguay 54%
12. Chile 51%
13. Honduras 50%
14. Costa rica 49%

Last edited by Untasted; 05-19-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Default southern cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
^^Agree with the above post, those percentages posted by untasted are ridiculous, there's no way Paraguay, Costa Rica or Chile have that much white people.
So you agree with joacocanals Chart but not with mine? when they dont difer dramatically lol lol. again were talking about (percentages) not numbers. central america and paraguay are small countries, and like i said before ive been to some latino countries and have met people from almost each country in the world, but its not just that, its easy to check how the average person from a country looks like through tv news, strikings, concerts, stadiums filled with people during any game, drone videos, travel videos etc. Paraguay has a very predominant german commuity in the south near southern brazil and north east argentina they even had a dictator of german descendant that ruled the country for almost 40 years, some historian claimed Hitler fled to the southern cone and might have been hiding in Paraguay, 2 years ago a nazi bunker was found on the border between argentina and paraguay. southern cone in general (not just paraguay) has a well known german influence the more south you go (southern chile), the largest oktoberfest outside of germany is held in south brazil, in paraguay they celebrate it every year as well, Argentina and uruguay have the more Italian influence rather than Germans, but its just the culture, germans spread out everywhere.
Costa Ricans are for sure ligher than neighbouring countries, lol way more than el salvaor, panama or mexico.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
Im not Chilean but it seems you want to bring them down.

that would be so if you think that Indigenous of the Americas are "inferior". I'm just saying that they are a very Mestizo country and I don't understand why you, them and other people try to whiten themselves so hard.

it's interesting how such large % of people in each country perceive themselves as "White", when in reality, the majority or the vast majority of people in any LatAm country is mixed race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas