Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 06:03 AM

491 posts, read 753,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Not all Cono Sur is Chile, there is no doubt that Chile is the most developed country in LatAm its also a Mestizo majority country with similar or even less white population than Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela and Cuba (pre-revolution).
Prove it. I have posted DNA survey test results for you to read a couple of pages back.

Quote:
Mexico is actually pretty much on par with Argentina on Passport index with Costa Rica not far behind.

Fine, But Mexico is regarded with apprehension by immigration officers while Chileans just walk right in, no papers needed. ARgentina was also part of this until the left wingers ruined it.

Quote:
It may have been traditionally so that the Conosur (or at least Argentina the most important) was among the most prosperous but with each passing year that continues less-so to be the case.
There is no other region in L.A that is higher in development than the Southern Cone. sorry it seems to hurt your feeling but you need to accept that.

Quote:
Finally although I agree that Panama is by and large economically wealthy but not necessarily infrastructure/order/education wealthy. This is probably due to its dramatic growth of 7% yearly and the order should come eventually, sort of like a Taiwan.
Let's re-assess it when it happens. But for the time being it looks more like Honduras than Taipei.

Quote:
The point is that Chile is one thing and Argentina is another and the rise of Mexico especially is showing that the Conosur no longer is the most prosperous region in Latin America and if it does hold some advantages its from past achievements which no longer puts food on the table or provides opportunities for the regular person in Argentina, the "white" country. Whereas the opposite is true for Chile, the "Mestizo" country.
Chile is white, at least as far governing and developing goes. If you look on a map, it will seem 70% of Chile's area is mestizo, but know that MOST ppl live in a cluster called "Santiago" and a large numbers of sectors there are populated by europeans. Same goes for the german south. The mestizos have started to enjoy the development as a result, and I think it's great. Mexico still has a long way to catch the southern cone though in terms of development, violence, health, education etc. I can post pictures of mexico and southern cone comparisons.

Quote:
FYI your comparison with Sweden and Romania is flawed because Romania doesn't have a current higher GDP per Capita than Sweden. I would say its more like a Malaysia/Taiwan difference. Or perhaps a Cyprus/Spain difference.
it is not flawed, the visuals are there. you can check the pics I posted which says it very clear. Also Chile has a higher GDP per capita than Pamana, I just checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Puerto Madero isn't really that unique.

Santa Fe, Mexico

10 buildings vs puerto madero....?? really? A business district vs residential area? Show residential areas of mexico

Puerto P.:

Old 05-25-2019, 06:27 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Prove it. I have posted DNA survey test results for you to read a couple of pages back.
Exactly 45%+/- Native American genealogy, the DNA study you posted proved it only 6% lower than Chile's White genealogical make-up. Contrast that with Brazil and Cuba's +70% White genealogical make-up and Colombia and Venezuela's 55%+ genealogical make-up. By your own study you've proved it yourself.

Quote:
There is no other region in L.A that is higher in development than the Southern Cone. sorry it seems to hurt your feeling but you need to accept that.
Not hurt at all its just a dying reality as Chile advances but the most important country, Argentina, staggers. The one hurt about this seems to be you.

Quote:
I can post pictures of mexico and southern cone comparisons.
Posting biased pictures is not exactly a concrete argument.

Quote:
it is not flawed, the visuals are there. you can check the pics I posted which says it very clear. Also Chile has a higher GDP per capita than Pamana, I just checked.
Since 2018 it does. Also the pictures you posted of Panama are the worst I've seen in a while. Definitely a biased exercise although I don't deny that the quality of new buildings in Santiago are much better than Panama. Also the "old town" in Santiago is not really comparable, we're comparing early 20th C buildings to 17th-19C buildings.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
10 buildings vs puerto madero....?? really? A business district vs residential area? Show residential areas of mexico
Hiding behind early 20th Century facade of a past Golden Era is not going to put food on the table or create opportunities for the regular Argentine.

This is where your picture argument is frivolous and juvenile. Mexico has plenty of grand buildings of an even earlier and more ancient epoch. Puerto Madero doesn't even come to a dozen new buildings and they're blocky of no real architectural merit (the new-builds that is).

Old 05-25-2019, 09:08 AM

149 posts, read 96,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
As I said at least twice on this very thread, Mexico income is now higher than Argentina's, so, if Argentina is considered a high income country by any institution, Mexico should be too, with bigger reason.

According to the world bank for a country to be considered as (high income country ) . It has to have at least GDP per capita (NOMINAL)of 12.000 $ . Apparently the world bank takes in consideration the GDPper capita nominal , (not the GDP per capita ppp) . (This explains why Mexico or Brazil are not on the list of high income countries ) .

Top 5 of Latin countries by gdp per capita NOMINAL according to the world bank

1) #' 45 Uruguay 17.246
2) #' 50 Chile 15.196
3) #' 51 Panama 15.196
4) #' 53 Argentina 14.398
5) #' 58 Costa Rica 11.677

Last edited by Untasted; 05-25-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hiding behind early 20th Century facade of a past Golden Era is not going to put food on the table or create opportunities for the regular Argentine.

This is where your picture argument is frivolous and juvenile. Mexico has plenty of grand buildings of an even earlier and more ancient epoch. Puerto Madero doesn't even come to a dozen new buildings and they're blocky of no real architectural merit (the new-builds that is).
Show it then. Don't call my position juvenile because it doesn't match yours. Arrogant idiot. Besides, the puerto palermo have MOSTLY newer buildings nowdays. You have no such thing in mexico.

Also, the panama old town picture shows the reality of countries outside of southern cone; cable chaos (I mean in the city center), look at the banana republic cabs, the overall poor quality of shops and buildings.

Last edited by MrPilot; 05-25-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
According to the world bank for a country to be considered as (high income country ) . It has to have at least GDP per capita (NOMINAL)of 12.000 $ . Apparently the world bank takes in consideration the GDPper capita nominal , (not the GDP per capita ppp) . (This explains why Mexico or Brazil are not on the list of high income countries ) .

Top 5 of Latin countries by gdp per capita NOMINAL according to the world bank

1) Uruguay 17.246
2) Chile 15.196
3) Panama 15.196
4) Costa Rica 11677
5) Argentina 14.398
Chile wins over panama in ppa gdp too

Old 05-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
it seems World Bank uses GNI nominal. Countries above 12.000 GNI per capita (current USD) qualify as high income:

https://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata...evel-2018-2019

Argentina GNI per capita nominal must be around 9000 USD.
Correct !. ... Argentina entered the list as high income country in 2014, then It was taken out , but re entered in 2017

Old 05-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Chileans look Mestizo, either light Mestizo or dark Mestizo.

the point is that the Southern Cone is not the wealthiest area in LatAm, nor the most prosperous, developed or anything, as it was already proved in this whole thread.
1) You haven't proven much really.

Only Argentina , Chile and Uruguay are in the category of very high human development index , all of them considered high income countries also , (Panama the exception but its HDI is not in the category of very high )

2) I can still see a more Caucasian tendencies in those pictures , you have to be fair and also provide pictures of how the avarage person from Colombia, Mexico or north Brazil look like , the pictures should be similar like in big gatherings (such as games in stadiums ) and will compare .

Old 05-25-2019, 10:17 AM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Check US Visa Waiver, Canada, EU, Australia, etc for it's visa requirements.
ok let's check these things with actual data.

only Chilli is visa waiver, what about the other Southern Cone countries? Argentina got kicked out many years ago (the effect of becoming an even more impoverished country). Uruguay too because Uruguayans were flocking the USA illegaly.

but let's look at the Global Passport Index 2019 (https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php ):

Chile 157
Brazil 157
Argentina 157
Mexico 145
Uruguay 143

once again Southern Cone countries are overcome by other LatAm countries.

Quote:

No there are no favelas in santiago for decades I heard. I lived there for 6 frigging years I should know.
There are. 91 campamentos were identified in the Metropolitan region in 2018, according to the Ministerio de Vivienda y Urbanismo (Minvu).

The number for the whole country rose by 165 new campamentos since 2011.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Econom...-en-Chile.html

Quote:
please check the thread before posting such arbitrary claims and embarrasing yourself. There was already proved in several previous posts, using objective data, that Southern Cone countries are far from being the most developed, wealthy, healthy, educated or progressive:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/54932213-post69.html

Quote:
1) You haven't proven much really.

Only Argentina , Chile and Uruguay are in the category of very high human development index , all of them considered high income countries also , (Panama the exception but its HDI is not in the category of very high )

We already discussed that topic all over the thread and, despite of the fact that I already showed you with many figures, statistics, indexes, that Southern Cone countries are not the wealthiest, nor the safest, nor the least corrupt, nor the ones with the highest life expectancy and overall better health indicators, nor the ones with the best education, etc etc, you stubbornly insist that they are, without any real argument to back up your claims. HDI is only one of many development indicators, and, btw, it's the one that still shows Venezuela as one of the most developed countries of Latin America, so, it's not exactly the most solid or reliable one.

Quote:
2) I can still see a more Caucasian tendencies in those pictures , you have to be fair and also provide pictures of how the avarage person from Colombia, Mexico or north Brazil look like , the pictures should be similar like in big gatherings (such as games in stadiums ) and will compare .

that's not necessary, the point is not if Colombia is more or less Mestizo. Both countries (Chile and Colombia) are Mestizo majority.

Last edited by joacocanal; 05-25-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas