Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:18 PM

881 posts, read 921,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Regarding campamentos, it's true they are increasing near the borders... I'd assume that's a natural evolution if you import 10% (1.5 million) non-educated haitians, colombians, peruvians and venezuelan (these might be educated though) in a VERY short time

Actually immigrants have 1.6 years more of education on average than Chilean nationals: https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacion...-en-Chile.html

Two thirds of the new campamentos since 2011 were built by Chilean nationals: https://www.duna.cl/programa/duna-en...-los-chilenos/

of course Chile and Croatia don't have exactly the same level of development, but a similar one. Also I don't think HDI is a good measure to compare countries. Venezuela is not more developed or liveable than its neighbors despite having a higher HDI. Likewise, I think Portugal (and probably Croatia too) enjoy a higher quality of life than Chile despite of having a lower HDI value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM

149 posts, read 96,846 times
A little reminder for everyone . I love all your stories but according to (official) sourses the picture still looks like this.... Southern cone is still in the front row among the high income countries . Some of your tiny Caribbean islands are fine but they're just too small. I'm still waiting to see brazil, colombia, Venezuela , Mexico in this picture , whats going on?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worl...income_economy

Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 PM

149 posts, read 96,846 times
Since so many people here are challenging southern cone being as the most prosperous region in Latin America and certainly (in the world). Can anyone tell me WHY the southern cone countries are still among the high income contries????..... Somebodys lying here ! ..

Old 08-17-2019, 05:05 AM

491 posts, read 752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Actually immigrants have 1.6 years more of education on average than Chilean nationals: https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacion...-en-Chile.html

Two thirds of the new campamentos since 2011 were built by Chilean nationals: https://www.duna.cl/programa/duna-en...-los-chilenos/

of course Chile and Croatia don't have exactly the same level of development, but a similar one. Also I don't think HDI is a good measure to compare countries. Venezuela is not more developed or liveable than its neighbors despite having a higher HDI. Likewise, I think Portugal (and probably Croatia too) enjoy a higher quality of life than Chile despite of having a lower HDI value.
We could not disagree more. First of all, everyone knows Chile-Chileans is-are top performers in the region in
regards to education. The poorest countries sending immigrants to Chile are not more educated than the Chileans themselves. It's like saying the Afghan "kids" coming here to Sweden are more educated than us, Swedes, lol.

Here's another real study over a longer period showing only 11% has higher education and only 60% has BASIC education: https://www.latercera.com/noticia/ni...mpleos-ocupan/
Which is far less than the average Chilean-

I will also add, that amount of school years matters not. You think eleven years of school in Haiti gives you same knowledge than 11 years of Chilean studies?

I know all of Croatia, and barring the absolute worst of Chile, Croatia is lagging behind. Trust me, I know all cities of croatia and chile. (CROATIA IS A HIGH INCOME COUNTRY, CHILE IS A VERY HIGH INCOME COUNTRY, SEE MAP)

Regarding HDI, there's nothing better atm than this measurement; it also measures the intangibles that affect people's day to day life.

INCOME MAP:

Old 08-17-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untasted View Post
Since so many people here are challenging southern cone being as the most prosperous region in Latin America and certainly (in the world). Can anyone tell me WHY the southern cone countries are still among the high income contries????..... Somebodys lying here ! ..
not just "HIGH INCOME COUNTRIES", but "VERY HIGH INCOME COUNTRIES"

Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
We could not disagree more.
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's the facts. According to these stats, immigrants in Chile are more educated than Chileans. It's an statistic fact. Just read the link.

Now if you compare Chileans to other nationalities (not immigrants) Chileans aren't that much better educated anyway. If you compare the 2015 PISA scores of Bogotá, a city of 8 million people, with the scores of Chile (17 million people), Bogotá has better scores at all of the three subjects (reading, maths and science) and would rank better if it was a separate country. So, quality of education in Chile is not really that impressive.

Quote:
Here's another real study over a longer period showing only 11% has higher education and only 60% has BASIC education: https://www.latercera.com/noticia/ni...mpleos-ocupan/
What? No. The link says 31.5% of immigrants have a college or a technical degree (professional education) and other 42.7% has a highschool diploma.

and it's far more what Chileans have, not far less. 21% of Chileans has higher education, 10% less than immigrants: https://noticias.universia.cl/educac...-completa.html

Quote:
I know all of Croatia, and barring the absolute worst of Chile, Croatia is lagging behind. Trust me, I know all cities of croatia and chile.
there isn't that much difference between Croatia's GNI per capita in USD (13,830) and Chile's one (14,670) according to the World Bank.

HDI is very limited, but it's popular because it encompasses many countries. In order to encompass so many countries, it was supposed to be very simple and limited, and it is.

Also it's nice to see that you posted a more updated map showing real data: that Argentina is not considered a high income country. Actually, with the latest depreciation of the ARS, Argentina's GDP per capita become very low, something like 7000 USD or even less.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's the facts. According to these stats, immigrants in Chile are more educated than Chileans. It's an statistic fact. Just read the link.

Now if you compare Chileans to other nationalities (not immigrants) Chileans aren't that much better educated anyway. If you compare the 2015 PISA scores of Bogotá, a city of 8 million people, with the scores of Chile (17 million people), Bogotá has better scores at all of the three subjects (reading, maths and science) and would rank better if it was a separate country. So, quality of education in Chile is not really that impressive.

What? No. The link says 31.5% of immigrants have a college or a technical degree (professional education) and other 42.7% has a highschool diploma.

and it's far more what Chileans have, not far less. 21% of Chileans has higher education, 10% less than immigrants: https://noticias.universia.cl/educac...-completa.html

there isn't that much difference between Croatia's GNI per capita in USD (13,830) and Chile's one (14,670) according to the World Bank.

HDI is very limited, but it's popular because it encompasses many countries. In order to encompass so many countries, it was supposed to be very simple and limited, and it is.

Also it's nice to see that you posted a more updated map showing real data: that Argentina is not considered a high income country. Actually, with the latest depreciation of the ARS, Argentina's GDP per capita become very low, something like 7000 USD or even less.
joacoanal, you are a moron and I will ignore you because:
1) you compare the *entire* chilean population (toddlers, babies, handicapped and elderly) vs immigrants in the work force!
remember, 61% has only basic schooling; 34% secondary, 5% Uneducated

2) you say 31.5% of immigrants have a college or a technical degree (professional education) and other 42.7% has a highschool diploma. While the article also say 62% have only basic education and 5% no education at all.... yeah, go ahead and add the percentages together see if it's 100%... moron learn math

3) Just after that couple of years old article you linked, no less than an additional hundred thousand entered chile from the glorious island of Haiti. That pushes the diaspora to upwards of a quarter million haitians

4) you are comparing a country's PISA score vs a city! don't know why you apply the moronic logic of quantity.... by that I mean the idiots saying India is more developed than Denmark because there's more money in India.... same goes for your logic...

5) I keep repeating myself: Croatia's economy is on a different level than Chile's. Just an example: Croatian hotels costs about 30-70 euros per night, while in Chile it's at 90-300 euros per night. Salaries are really low in Croatia but it will improve with time.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I'm still wondering why in that chart they included Argentina when they have no stats at all for this country.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm still wondering why in that chart they included Argentina when they have no stats at all for this country.
Also, "What makes the Southern Cone the most literate region in Latin America?"

Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 AM

264 posts, read 136,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
because whoever made the chart still wants to push the idea the Argentina is a leading country in the region when in fact is a middle of the road country at this point. and sinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas