U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Latin American mega city?
Lima 1 4.76%
Sao Paulo 5 23.81%
Mexico City 9 42.86%
Rio De Janeiro 4 19.05%
Bogota 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:13 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,628,289 times

Advertisements

Which mega Latin American city do you like the best?
Some Criteria to consider
1. Downtown
2. Livability
3. Walkability
4. Safety
5. Scenery
6. Culture
7. Food
8. Nighlife
9. Climate
10. Where would you want to visit?
11. Where would you want to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:59 PM

2,872 posts, read 1,545,141 times
I wouldn't call Bogota a megacity, it's only 1/3 the size of SP or Mx city and about the size of Nagoya, Japan or Chicago. Lima not quite to megacity status yet either.

One that's not included in the poll is Buenos Aires which can be considered a megacity.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 AM

2,883 posts, read 2,004,416 times
If you include Zona Sul, though not “downtown” but certainly included as part of the city metrics, definitely Rio as it combines ocean/beach with urban.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,168 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Of the cities in the poll, for me its between Mexico City and Bogota. I probably incline a little bit more towards Mexico City, mainly because it takes a shorter flight to get there vs Bogota. lol

The concept of “downtown” is really an American thing. Despite most Hispanic cities have an area called ‘Centro,’ the reality is that major cities are policentric. You will find many ‘downtowns’ in a single major city, often times each socioeconomic class has its own ‘downtowns.’

With that said, when I’m in a Latin American city I always stick to the upper middle class/upper class areas + the historic/colonial district if it has been well maintained. Taking this into accoun, I prefer Bogota for its modern ‘downtowns’ which are very elegant. Mexico City’s top neighborhoods are elegant too, but not like Bogota’s. I will say, in defense of Mexico City, that its extremely luxurious Avenida Masaryk has not equivalent in Latin America and on its own deserves a special mention. Simply strolling down this avenue is a majestic experience.

When it comes to the historic district, even though both cities colonial core are very Spanish and very beautiful, the Spaniards that designed and built colonial Mexico City included a lot more indigenous aspects into the Spanish architecture, in the process creating a colonial look thay is uniquely Mexican. Dare I say it, Mexico City’s colonial core appeals more than Bogota’s, IMO. I’m also flabbergasted by Mexico City’s Metropolitan Cathedral. There are no words to describe the majestic impression this gigantic cathedral has on visitors, regardless how many times you visit it.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:47 AM

2,883 posts, read 2,004,416 times
I should have elaborated more on Rio...I could easily live in Leblon. Upscale area, livable, walkable, very good restaurants, good enough nightlife, fairly safe, decent /good shopping/malls, beach access, close to other neighborhoods (Ipanema, Lagoa, Jardim Botanico, Gavea, Sao Conrado, etc etc).

Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 AM

146 posts, read 103,603 times
I voted for Mexico City, because overall it has the most economic opportunities for people from other Latin american countries, i.e. Argentina, Brazil, etc, and US/Canada. Has sophisticated districts such as Polanco and Santa Fe and it is close to US & Canada, and direct flight away from major cities in Asia & Europe. Negatives are the threats of earthquake.

Second for me would be Lima Peru. I could see myself living in Miraflores or Barranco. Mild winters and job/business opportunities for people with the right background and education. Trades with Asia has been growing rapidly.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Mexico city for me. Lima second.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 AM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
I would replace Bogata with Buenos Aires.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:47 PM

146 posts, read 103,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would replace Bogata with Buenos Aires.
Buenos Aires definitely belongs to this list, but would still keep Bogota.

One major Latin American mega city not included here is Miami! Yes, it is in the US, but it is the "capital" of the whole Latin America & Caribbean. Telemundo is headquartered here, so is Citi Latin America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnOV5mnm64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8jI2uEi5l8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixDs7-OQS4

If Miami were to be included in this list, it would be my first choice, followed by Mexico City and Lima.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Miami would be my last choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or