U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:55 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,195,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
@empidonax just found this article published 2 days ago on birding in Bogota which may be of interest. The Quinta de Bolivar is right near the foot of Monserrate. https://thecitypaperbogota.com/bogot...hat-list/20579

Although a short walk from the Quinta to grab the Monserrate cable car of funicular this pathway is known for frequent muggings. Therefore I suggest you take a taxi (make sure you tell the driver to put the meter on) or walk in a group. Sundays is a day many people walk up so safer to do the hike and don't be tempted to wander off into the forest at the foot of the mountain across the road. Opportunists lurk here.

As for at the top of Monserrate no worries there and Simon Bolivar park should be fine during opening hours.

Finally also check out the Quebrada la vieja hike. It's a very easily accessible medium to low intensity hike (little over 1 hour each way). Several videos on youtube re hike, google maps even shows you the route/trail. Get up early though I believe the path opens at dawn but closes at 10am or so.

As for restaurants I highly recommend Mini-Mal in chapinero Alto check TripAdvisor for reviews and try the Palmira Rolls if on menu. Paloquemao market is also a great place to try fresh & diverse produce. Try Feijoa juice a fruit endemic to the region also popular in New Zealand.
Thank you for the article and information-- I've already begun to incorporate the ideas into my plans. It looks like we'll be staying in Chapinero, so Mini-Mal will definitely be on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 AM

5,083 posts, read 9,092,585 times
Why would one drive Cartagena to Medellin? Take a plane, they are quite cheap and not a whole lot to see between the two.

And while you can't overlook the chance of getting robbed, I think most of this is a bit over the top for Bogota at least, can't speak to Medellin or Cali but I am sure neither are as risky as you portray them. Yes don't go to the bad areas, but few tourists would ever have a reason to go to them. I guess some may wander a bit too much after going to the Candelaria, but that's about the only reason. The Chapinero Central used to be dangerous and still looks a bit rough around the edges, but that's changing now and in 10 years people will probably not even recognize the danger or the people around it as it gets overtaken by millennial hipsters. Everything north of Chapinero is pretty safe and you'll see people walking on the streets talking on a better phone than you have at all hours so I really don't get the comment about keeping your phone away. I guess you should keep your laptop put away, but don't see too many people taking them out other than in a place with wifi.

In any event, Bogota is not really a walking city because cabs are cheap (Uber has had a rough time getting up and running but its around) and there is no central location with a lot of sites and attractions to keep foreigners around for more than a few hours at a time. For most urban Colombians in the middle or higher classes, social and entertainment life is centered in the malls. In Bogota there are malls for every perceived class level and they are all near transit hubs so if you want to see where the locals go, that's it.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
For most urban Colombians in the middle or higher classes, social and entertainment life is centered in the malls. In Bogota there are malls for every perceived class level and they are all near transit hubs so if you want to see where the locals go, that's it.
That sounds exactly like Manila and Jakarta...

For some reason, I always imagined Bogota to be more of a mini-New York or Chicago. I.E. Busy pedestrian-traffic on wide sidewalks.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 AM

5,828 posts, read 9,475,934 times
@willy702:
I don't know where you're getting your impression, but most, no ... all.... Colombians I know disagree. In fact, at this very moment I'm sitting in an apartment in Spain with two Colombian friends, and I posed the question to them, whether they consider Bogota unsafe. They said it is unsafe. Widespread "inseguridad" in terms of "atracos" (robberies) on the street, throughout the city.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:42 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,436,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why would one drive Cartagena to Medellin? Take a plane, they are quite cheap and not a whole lot to see between the two.
Not a whole lot to see? You can't be serious.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:05 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,547,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Not a whole lot to see? You can't be serious.
To be fair this is one of the more "boring" routes in the country and the road infrastructure is so-so. There are a few gems (especially if you're into music history) like San Jacinto, Carmen de Bolivar, Ovejas, Sincelejo, Sampues, Sahagún, Cerete, San Pelayo, Planeta Rica...also this is the ancient territory of the Zenú civilization. So though it isn't your cookie-cutter tourist destination it really depends on your sensibilities to these cultural manifestations. As someone who has a strong interest in music, pre-columbian history and intangible cultural manifestations, I had a faboulous time when I explored this region. I especially enjoyed my time in Ovejas, Sucre. These are some personal photos I took of my time there.

Festival de Gaitas: Ovejas, Sucre by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

As for Bogota, there is definitely a lot of activity in the streets. Bogota is such a large, open-minded, arts city there is something for everybody. Anyone who thinks mall culture dominates says more about them and their circle of friends than the city itself. To prove it just take a stroll down la Septima, Restrepo or Chapinero centro, even Zona G. I personally don't feel in danger whilst walking the streets of Bogota although I can see how someone with a more sheltered existence can. There's definitely an edge to the city but its also quite a classy yet anti-establishment, alternative, exhilarating city with a growing international vibe.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 09-06-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 PM

279 posts, read 151,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That sounds exactly like Manila and Jakarta...

For some reason, I always imagined Bogota to be more of a mini-New York or Chicago. I.E. Busy pedestrian-traffic on wide sidewalks.
He's wrong. There's a lot to do in Bogota besides getting stuck in shopping centres. And sidewalks are really wide which enables visitors to walk through the city. Seriously though, sometimes they are wider than streets themselves. Also there are a lot of green spaces. Pace of life is fast so people seem like they are in a rush and bear this mind your own business kind of attitude.

You can get New York vibes whilst being in Centro International. Bogota's downtown resembles a lot downtowns in American cities, buildings and atmosphere that is. Except for the Cerros Orientales which is a trademark of Bogota and a few other things.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
He's wrong. There's a lot to do in Bogota besides getting stuck in shopping centres. And sidewalks are really wide which enables visitors to walk through the city. Seriously though, sometimes they are wider than streets themselves. Also there are a lot of green spaces. Pace of life is fast so people seem like they are in a rush and bear this mind your own business kind of attitude.

You can get New York vibes whilst being in Centro International. Bogota's downtown resembles a lot downtowns in American cities, buildings and atmosphere that is. Except for the Cerros Orientales which is a trademark of Bogota and a few other things.
Thanks for the confirmation. That had always been my image of Bogota. The one you described.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:18 PM

3,213 posts, read 1,638,903 times
When we go, we rarely go to the shopping centers except for the food courts. Why go to Bogota to see something we have here. I love watching the people who are better dressed and in considerably better shape than we are. We also walk a lot. It is extremely difficult to get around as the traffic gets worse every year. Love the food, fruit juices, breads and soups (especially Ajiaco). My Spanish improves every year.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:25 AM

5,828 posts, read 9,475,934 times
Here are some photos and videos I took a few weeks ago around the zona cafetera (coffee region). Some landscapes and small towns:

https://filebin.net/h5lv5wdekvf5qp5p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or