U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 AM

5,900 posts, read 9,511,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nonsense. There are places in all those departments that are perfectly fine for travel.
And likewise, there are places that are not. So, not nonsense at all.
If I recall, the State Department website lists the "exceptions" to the warning, including the very places you mention, so I don't see what your point is:
Quote:
A number of tourists go to Bahia Solano and Nuqui in Choco for example - I've been there 3 times myself.
I believe these are the places listed as safe on the State Department travel site?
Quote:
Government travel advisories tend to be overzealous so as to relinquish any possible implication
Exactly the reason why someone traveling for the first time should also be overzealous, no?
There are quite a bit of "no-go" places listed on this site, as well. So, I don't see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 AM

5,900 posts, read 9,511,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nonsense. There are places in all those departments that are perfectly fine for travel. A number of tourists go to Bahia Solano and Nuqui in Choco for example
Exactly what the State Department website that I cited already says:

Do not travel to:
Arauca, Cauca (except Popayan), Chocó (except Nuquí),

Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 PM

2,192 posts, read 4,207,224 times
Our trip to Colombia was a raging success! Many thanks to the kind folks here who offered advice and recommendations.

We started out in Bogotá for a few days. In addition to the usual sight-seeing activities (La Candelaria architecture, Botero Museum, Gold Museum, Monserrate, Quinta de Simón Bolívar, etc.) we explored several neighborhoods and hired a local guide for a birding excursion. After a few days we met up with our tour group and flew to the Eje Cafetero, where we spent a couple of relaxing days at a coffee hacienda. Next was a couple days stay in Medellín, where we enjoyed the city center, the Poblado neighborhood, and a tour of the Comuna 13 neighborhood. Really amazing. After that, a few days in Cartagena on our own, where we enjoyed the historic Old Town as well as neighborhoods such as Getsemaní and Manga. We did a couple of fun birding activities in the area; it was a blast.

A lot of people say that the food in Colombia isn't very good or interesting, but we really enjoyed it. On our birding expeditions and a little bit on the tour, we were able to stop off at some really good roadside places specializing in churrasco and other dishes. All of the cities we visited had loads of empanadas, arepas, almojábanas, pandebono, and many other treats to try. We enjoyed fresh pineapple, watermelon, guava, papaya, and many other fruits--lulo, corozo, tree tomato, etc. It was amazing to see so many cultural sites and to learn more about the country's history--various pre-Columbian communities, the colonial legacy, the Simón Bolívar era, industrialization, and the modern age.

I know it sounds kind of trite when tourists say "the people were friendly," but yeah, the people were friendly. Perhaps it helps that I speak Spanish, but still.... I know that Colombia continues to struggle with economic disparities, political violence, and other ills, but man, what an amazing place.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 AM

2,878 posts, read 1,557,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I know that Colombia continues to struggle with economic disparities, political violence, and other ills, but man, what an amazing place.
Thanks for getting back to us. Glad you enjoyed it and that we could help a little.

Next time I suggest you explore the Amazon or Llanos (one or the other) with the South-Western Andes. It's a less travelled route but definitely worth it and almost night and day to the more traditional route you travelled.

The nature around the pre-columbian sites of Tierradentro and San Agustin are incredible!; the Tatacoa desert is also relatively nearby and in the Amazon/Llanos (tropical Savannah) I suggest either a trip to Leticia on the Amazon river or to Inirida in the heart of the Guyana Shield, or to one of the Hatos in Casanare (i.e. Hato La Aurora) beaming with wildlife and birding opportunities. There was a New York times article on the Llanos and its safaris recently.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or