U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM

1,049 posts, read 478,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Kind of wish that Dominican Republic had one city that was something like a Havana or Cartagena. It's an otherwise amazing place with the Carribbean beaches and mountains, just lacks one of those engaging charming cities. But if you were to recommend a city, which would it be?

I will tell you what is not lacking: PEDOPHILES GALORE,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zyp...&feature=share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I will tell you what is not lacking: PEDOPHILES GALORE,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zyp...&feature=share
Are you serious?

It isn't as widespread of an issue as you are making it out to be. The same issue exists in Cuba too, otherwise there would be no reason for Canada and Cuba to sign an anti-child prostitution agreement.

The same in Colombia, Mexico, and just about anywhere in Latin America where tourism is big business. A small portion of the tourists aren't there mainly for visiting the historic sights, getting to know the culture or enjoying the beach.

To paint it as if they make up the bulk of the tourists or that those activities dominate the industry or that it is the norm in the countries involved is plain simply to lie and puts in serious question your integrity.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-29-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 07:52 AM

381 posts, read 146,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSavanna View Post
What a strange thing to say. The capital Santo Domingo is actually just like Cartagena and Havana. It has the old Colonial architecture and Medieval style streets. In fact the very first thing that comes to mind when you visit the Old part of the city is that it looks just like Cartagena.
This guy is just another DR hater, that disguises his hate with a question that is mostly a statement of something HE claims DR dosent have. But DR does has all that and even better. DR architecture its actually older than Havana and Cartagena, and has early architecture non existent in the other 2 places. Also SD is less gentrified and has a more quaint feeling that the other 2.

DR has a lots of haters in the Caribbean because its dominating the tourism market and capturing all the investment.

Haters gonna hate.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:43 AM

1,790 posts, read 757,374 times
Quote:
DR has a lots of haters in the Caribbean because its dominating the tourism market and capturing all the investment.
Cristobal Colon's VERY First Stop in America (And that is NOT the USA)

Old 10-30-2018, 01:06 PM

227 posts, read 143,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
This guy is just another DR hater, that disguises his hate with a question that is mostly a statement of something HE claims DR dosent have. But DR does has all that and even better. DR architecture its actually older than Havana and Cartagena, and has early architecture non existent in the other 2 places. Also SD is less gentrified and has a more quaint feeling that the other 2.

Haters gonna hate.
Does anyone really have hard feelings towards the DR other than Puerto Rico and Haiti though?

It seems Cuba and DR have a pretty good relationship with each other outside of politics. Also, I've heard far more people from the Anglo Caribbean hate on Haiti than the DR(which is still quite unfortunate.)

Also, Dominican culture and music has really grown through many other parts of Latin America to the point where even Argentines have their own version of merengue called Cuarteto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9Zxaxe1aA

Aside from trolls on the Internet, I don't really see the DR being hated on more than Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, or Puerto Rico as far as the Caribbean goes. Heck, I have some Trini friends who would practically kill you for associating them with Jamaica.

Then again, in the gaming community, there's apparently a ton of anti-Peruvian sentiment but I don't think people in the Americas feel strongly about Peruvians like that except maybe for Chile. Same rules apply I guess.

I used to live in a Dominican neighborhood in the Northeast.....good people.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:41 PM

381 posts, read 146,431 times
Cuban-PR-DR "hate" is all hot air and farts (not a real thing)

Old 10-30-2018, 01:59 PM

227 posts, read 143,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Cuban-PR-DR "hate" is all hot air and farts (not a real thing)
I suspected so, although there are immigration concerns in PR.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:31 PM

295 posts, read 180,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Does anyone really have hard feelings towards the DR other than Puerto Rico and Haiti though?

It seems Cuba and DR have a pretty good relationship with each other outside of politics. Also, I've heard far more people from the Anglo Caribbean hate on Haiti than the DR(which is still quite unfortunate.)

Also, Dominican culture and music has really grown through many other parts of Latin America to the point where even Argentines have their own version of merengue called Cuarteto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9Zxaxe1aA

Aside from trolls on the Internet, I don't really see the DR being hated on more than Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, or Puerto Rico as far as the Caribbean goes. Heck, I have some Trini friends who would practically kill you for associating them with Jamaica.
They like to act like its a problem not to associate themselves with Jamaicans, but Trinis love Jamaican culture.

Plus many people do pick up Trinis Caribbean accent but never mistake them for Jamaican.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:05 AM

387 posts, read 113,204 times
Why do you associate those countries?
Nothing to do, just like associating the US with Liberia.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM

1,224 posts, read 606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Kind of wish that Dominican Republic had one city that was something like a Havana or Cartagena. It's an otherwise amazing place with the Carribbean beaches and mountains, just lacks one of those engaging charming cities. But if you were to recommend a city, which would it be?

I see you have Macao listed as your location, AKA Punta Cana.
Before the resorts, nobody visited there...except me.
Try Santiago, always enjoyed it more than SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or