U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM

143 posts, read 129,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSavanna View Post
What a strange thing to say. The capital Santo Domingo is actually just like Cartagena and Havana. It has the old Colonial architecture and Medieval style streets. In fact the very first thing that comes to mind when you visit the Old part of the city is that it looks just like Cartagena.
Having been to both Santo Domingo and Cartagena now, I agree with that. Even if Cartagena seems more fully restored in its historic areas, and better marketed as a tourist destination, Santo Domingo is no less historic or rich in culture, and I might even go so far to say I prefer Santo Domingo to Cartagena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,486,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I see you have Macao listed as your location, AKA Punta Cana.
Before the resorts, nobody visited there...except me.
Try Santiago, always enjoyed it more than SD.

Im glad someone finally mentioned Santiago.

I live in a very Dominican town in the northeast and everybody tells me that Santiago is more appealing than SD.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:12 AM

23 posts, read 40,674 times
I lived in the DR for 14 years, working as a journalist. It is a fascinating place. It is hard to imagine that a relatively small place could be so diverse. I second the idea that the Zona Colonial in SD is one of the most beautiful places architecturally but there are also lots of small towns that are utterly charming with central squares with gardens. There are many places where tourists do not go -which is a shame since there is such natural beauty. The DR has more tree cover than it had 50 years ago and about 11 different climate zones - from the highest peak in the Caribbean to desert. Tourist infrastructure in the interior - and even in some of the really beautiful places - such as Jarabaco- is not well developed. Where is it developed it is either the "all inclusive" resort or boutique hotels - but there are now some more sorta back packing hostels coming up. Unlike some of the publicity that is circulated in the resorts - which want to keep the guests there, I suppose- I found the entire place very safe. I traveled alone, on public transport, by bus, on the backs on motorcycles (their taxis- motoconchos). As to ethnically diverse- the island is primarily Afro-Carribean. There is a small percentage of "white" Dominicans - the upper crust seen in the Sunday supplement but the bulk of the population is a mix of Indian/black/European with a touch of Indian. The city of SD is loaded with all types of people - Europeans/Russians/Latin Americans/Haitians/ Americans... The Dominicans actually quite love Americans - about a million Dominicans live in the States and those that do send lots of money home. The weather in Santiago is perhaps better than SD but as for culture and diversity-- shopping, festivals, general ambiance -- nothing beats SD. The VERY wealthy have country places outside of Santiago as they own the land in the Cibao valley which is the most fertile land.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:47 PM

975 posts, read 1,963,744 times
I know that were comparing A and B and Im throwing in C, but people shouldnt sleep on Old San Juan! My Colombian wife says its way better than Cartagena in her eyes, because tourists dont get aggressively hustled all day like on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. The buildings are similar in many ways, but they look better taken care of, and the colors are all the brighter and more recently painted on. Ive never been to Santo Domingo (just the other side, el Cibao) so I cant compare it with the other two cities I mentioned, but much can be said about the glaring rift between tourists and locals in Cartagena, and how tourist prices can be absurd, and a lot of hustling can happen. None of that really goes on in Old San Juan...Puerto Rico to me is truly the Pearl of the Caribbean, its not just a title.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM

143 posts, read 129,382 times
^
San Juan is definitely on my list. I will be interested in seeing how it compares to Santo Domingo and Cartagena.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM

142 posts, read 33,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
^
San Juan is definitely on my list. I will be interested in seeing how it compares to Santo Domingo and Cartagena.
Santo Domingo is older, you will learn about the early stages of the Spanish conquest.
Buildings are more medieval and utilitarian.
Cartagena was built when the Spanish were already extracting large amount of riches from south america
you will see that in the architecture, same with Havana. (more palaces, bigger fortresses).
San Juan was a port used mainly for ship on its way to the Americas.
San juan is more clean, polished, maybe too polished. not sure how much of the architecture is truly original or modern reconstructions.
Santo Domingo is the least gentrified, lost of Dominicans going about their day.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Google Street View added many more streets and images of Santo Domingo. Some random shots in various areas of Santo Domingo proper.

Apparently someone thought painting their house green was a good idea. Hmm...

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-22-2019 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 02:11 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
They have a barrio Chino in Sto Domino? Nice.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Random Google Street View shots of Cartagena, Colombia.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or