U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times

Advertisements

Kind of wish that Dominican Republic had one city that was something like a Havana or Cartagena. It's an otherwise amazing place with the Carribbean beaches and mountains, just lacks one of those engaging charming cities. But if you were to recommend a city, which would it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM

381 posts, read 146,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Kind of wish that Dominican Republic had one city that was something like a Havana or Cartagena. It's an otherwise amazing place with the Carribbean beaches and mountains, just lacks one of those engaging charming cities. But if you were to recommend a city, which would it be?
you need to travel more, i think SD is the more diverse city in the carribean, I lived there for a year and i can tell you why.

There is an scene for everything in DR, from surfers to ravers from heavy metal to hipsters. its just too diverse compared to like Jamaica or Cuba, that only offer the expected. its was mind blowing to see how much variety there is there and that will not be on your tourist book.

get a local to show you around the city. (and not a disconnected guy, i mean a guy that know whats going on there)

Old 10-19-2018, 03:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
you need to travel more, i think SD is the more diverse city in the carribean, I lived there for a year and i can tell you why.

There is an scene for everything in DR, from surfers to ravers from heavy metal to hipsters. its just too diverse compared to like Jamaica or Cuba
Wow, a year and a half. Expert. Tell me more. I will travel more, so I can get to your level.

I'm particularly impressed that after a year and half you discovered that Jamaica and Cuba sucks compared to DR. Only well-traveled people would know that. Just WOW. Like really wow.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-19-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 08:01 AM

1,790 posts, read 757,374 times
I highly recommend the Area Were the Surfers gather, East from Pto Plata, Playa Sosua. The back road from that Area to Santiago was amazing, the countryside there is gorgeous,(Not the Super Highway that runs from Pto Plata to Santiago) I loved Santiago, the weather there and the history behind the place. It was easily 10 degrees Farenheit less than the NW Coast and not humid at all.

South from Santiago a Trip to Jarabacoa it's great..located at 525 meters (1,722 feet) above Sea Level has wonderful Pine Forests and also great cool weather.

Pto Plata did not impress me, other than the The Hill with the Botanical Gardens, the ride up the Hill on the Teleferico and the view of the Coast and Pto Plata from the Top.

Last edited by Hammocks Bum; 10-21-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 AM

227 posts, read 143,547 times
It ultimately depends on the person.

If you're a surfer, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, etc. would be paradise.

If you're into visiting mountains, you can visit Jarabacoa, Constanza, etc.

Santo Domingo is a large enough city, that has a lot of things to do from nightlife, shopping, festivals, etc. and Santiago de Los Caballeros is in the same suit.

You can also visit Tamboril which is one of the biggest cigar producing places in the entire world.

"Charming cities" is subjective" but, even if you feel the DR lacks those, there's still plenty to do.

Personally, I think Bolivia has the ugliest cities in all of Latin America architecturally speaking, but I plan of going on vacation there because of its amazing geography, history, and to meet locals who I heard were really humble. Does Bolivia having "ugly" cities from my POV make it less of a destination? Absolutely not.

And I prefer the DR over Jamaica by a landslide but Cuba remains by favorite Caribbean destination.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 757,374 times
Quote:
Personally, I think Bolivia has the ugliest cities in all of Latin America architecturally speaking, but I plan of going on vacation there because of its amazing geography, history, and to meet locals who I heard were really humble. Does Bolivia having "ugly" cities from my POV make it less of a destination? Absolutely not.
I was born many, many yrs past in the Southern Cone, lived and became an American Citizen also many moons ago, my first time in Europe, Madrid to be on the money, i met the nASTIES hosts you could ever find when travellin abroad...Talk BAD about the French, the Spaniards are worse in my opinion.

From that day on I decided to travel in Latina America, leave my money where it is appreciated and where I am welcomed any day...My hard earned money here goes a long way in Latin America and I love to help theyr economies.

Bolivia has MANY, many atributtes that you will enjoy. I know I have.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:42 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,546,441 times
Bolivian cities actually do offer quite a bit so I don't know what you're basing your analysis on. Sucre, Bolivia is particularly charming and Cochabamba is actually quite pleasant and relatively well laid out. Santa Cruz is very leafy and quite orderly and La Paz has an amazing backdrop with some interesting architecture. I would say Bolivian cities are actually more appealing than their Peruvian counterparts in general, especially considering population size - Bolivia has about the same population as DR.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:24 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,485,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post

There is an scene for everything in DR, from surfers to ravers from heavy metal to hipsters. its just too diverse compared to like Jamaica or Cuba, that only offer the expected. its was mind blowing to see how much variety there is there and that will not be on your tourist book.

get a local to show you around the city. (and not a disconnected guy, i mean a guy that know whats going on there)
Would you say that SD is the most ethnically diverse city as well?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 344,173 times
Architecturally speaking - and city build and physical history definitely affects a city's culture - there just are no cities in DR that compare to those places, unfortunately. I'd concentrate on the people & landscape when you go there.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 2,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What a strange thing to say. The capital Santo Domingo is actually just like Cartagena and Havana. It has the old Colonial architecture and Medieval style streets. In fact the very first thing that comes to mind when you visit the Old part of the city is that it looks just like Cartagena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or