Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dominican Republic (be allowed to) join CARICOM?
Yes. 19 63.33%
No. 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 AM

192 posts, read 118,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Bro you just need to stop, you said there was no such thing as a CARICOM passport or a CARICOM Visa, I provided proof that there is. What proof do you have there isn't?

Visas can be bilateral but its not the case with between most CARICOM naitons.

Most people don't qualify for the certificate of recognition, this is why you have some immigrants are still able to travel.Trust me when I say countries like Bahamas ,Barbados,and Trinidad want a lot of immigrants queued for deportation upon entry at Customs, but can't because of the CARICOM.

The Mexican example was nothing but ignorance on your part,since you assumed most Mexicans come to the US on a tourist Visas. You don't even seem to understand how Visas work.

Its one of the dumbest statements I've come across on here.You can't say the CARICOM is close to the EU then say its not even remotely close, YOU COMPLETELY CONTRADICTED YOURSELF with the statement. Its clear to see.

Might we add the CARICOM is a bloc not similar to the EU for many reasons one being not interlocked economy,budgets, or a common currency like the EU.But I digress.

I think you need to take your own advice about going back to school.
YOU DONT UNDERTAND THE MEANING OF THE WORD "AKIN"? IT MEANS 'SIMILAR'
you seem to think the word means "close to", thats not the meaning!

PEOPLE THINK CARICOM IS "SIMILAR" TO THE EU, but caricom is not even remotely that close,
the EU IS A VERY CLOSE UNION, CARICOM IS NOT. ...GET A DICTIONARY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
What does the exit of Scotiabank says about CARICOM?

News hit that the Canadian-based Scotiabank is closing its business operations in mainly the English Caribbean. Its banking operations in Anguilla, Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent, and the Grenadines; in addition to its insurance operations in Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago are all for sale.

According to Scotiabank representatives, the bank wants to cut loose markets that don't have much economic prospects for the future and focus on more promising economic markets.

The interesting thing in all of this is that in August 2018 Scotiabank intensified its presence in the Dominican Republic by purchasing Banco del Progreso for $340 million US dollars. Adding the 4th largest Dominican bank to its already large presence in the Dominican Republic (Scotiabank open its first Dominican branch in 1920) is a sign of strong confidence in the future developments of the Dominican economy and the Dominican middle class. Santo Domingo is going to become its main financial center in the Caribbean and Central America.

In addition to Dominican Republic, the other Latin American economic markets where Scotiabank is seeing positive results (and due to that these are the economies where they are focusing their efforts) are Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and Chile.

Scotiabank Caribbean Retreat Marks Shift After 129-Year Presence

Scotiabank to acquire Dominican Republic bank

Old 11-29-2018, 12:30 PM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
YOU DONT UNDERTAND THE MEANING OF THE WORD "AKIN"? IT MEANS 'SIMILAR'
you seem to think the word means "close to", thats not the meaning!
WHAT?!
Saying it means ''akin'' NOT ''close to'' isn't a difference at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
PEOPLE THINK CARICOM IS "SIMILAR" TO THE EU, but caricom is not even remotely that close,
the EU IS A VERY CLOSE UNION, CARICOM IS NOT. ...GET A DICTIONARY.
sigh...

Who in their right mind would even think CARICOM is close to the EU?

CARICOM is nothing like the EU, it is just a trade bloc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What does the exit of Scotiabank says about CARICOM?

News hit that the Canadian-based Scotiabank is closing its business operations in mainly the English Caribbean. Its banking operations in Anguilla, Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent, and the Grenadines; in addition to its insurance operations in Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago are all for sale.

According to Scotiabank representatives, the bank wants to cut loose markets that don't have much economic prospects for the future and focus on more promising economic markets.

The interesting thing in all of this is that in August 2018 Scotiabank intensified its presence in the Dominican Republic by purchasing Banco del Progreso for $340 million US dollars. Adding the 4th largest Dominican bank to its already large presence in the Dominican Republic (Scotiabank open its first Dominican branch in 1920) is a sign of strong confidence in the future developments of the Dominican economy and the Dominican middle class. Santo Domingo is going to become its main financial center in the Caribbean and Central America.

In addition to Dominican Republic, the other Latin American economic markets where Scotiabank is seeing positive results (and due to that these are the economies where they are focusing their efforts) are Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and Chile.

Scotiabank Caribbean Retreat Marks Shift After 129-Year Presence

Scotiabank to acquire Dominican Republic bank
This is a shame Scotia Bank offers more perks than most banks in the CARICOM.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Last year Dominicans subsequently received an invitation from Trinidad from the Hurricane,but it wasn't received well.

Quote:

Trinidad PM disappointed in response to invitation to Dominicans

Trinidad PM disappointed in response to invitation to Dominicans
Friday, September 22, 2017 2 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has expressed disappointment at negative comments following an invitation extended to displaced Dominicans in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.

Rowley, who was a guest on the local television station – TV6, on Friday morning, said he was disappointed with reports of some saying that humanitarian gesture was a means of the ruling People's National Movement (PNM), securing votes in upcoming elections.

However, the prime minister told the host of TV6's morning edition, that he would not dignify that claim with a response.

Asked if he expected political backlash over his decision to ease immigration restrictions and allow Dominicans into the country, Rowley said: “No I don't. It is my view and I believe genuinely that the vast majority of people in T&T are decent and caring people. And from that standpoint I don't expect that, that would cause any political calamity for me and the PNM.”

Rowley said the decision is a response to a specific natural disaster for a specific period of time and for Dominicans, “to return from whence they came.”

He however added that under the United Nations charter to which the twin island republic is a signatory, if people arrive in the country without a place to stay, they would then become wards of the State.

“There is a United Nations charter where we are signatories where such person can be viewed as a refugee and you are duty-bound not to turn them back. They will become a ward of the State…if Dominican refugees come here in any significant number we in Trinidad and Tobago have the ability to treat with it because it would be a situation we had not planned for before; the circumstances would require we put our best foot forward. But I don't expect an overwhelming number of people to do that,” Rowley said.

During Thursday's post cabinet press briefing, the Prime Minister said his administration will waive the immigration requirements for residents of Dominica for a period of six months as the CARICOM member state rebuilds.

He also said places could be made available in schools across the twin island republic for Dominican children to continue their education.

“In situations like these, whatever we have available to us, we the people have always been generous are and willing to share… for the next six months, TT will open our doors, our homes, our pots and I daresay out schools to the people of the Commonwealth of Dominica,” Rowley then said.

He said those Dominicans taking up the offer must be able to clearly identify friends or family who will be able to accommodate them.

The prime minister said arrangements will be made for any citizen who has accommodation and is willing to help provide shelter.
He stressed that Dominicans who choose to come to the country, will not be classified as refugees.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:36 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
PrizeWinner, those are English Dominicans (Dominica), not Spanish Dominicans (DR).

Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
PrizeWinner, those are English Dominicans (Dominica), not Spanish Dominicans (DR).
yea you're right

Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Dominicans are both English and Kreyol speakers.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Defend from racial attacks? Lol

Caricom people need to stop believing the anti-Dominican propaganda and visit, truly get to know the DR as it really is
Dominicans need to tell other Dominicans to stop posting how "white" Dominicans are. It doesn't promote a favorable image when people in CARICOM see what most Dominicans look like.

The supposed race baiting in this thread started up when a poster wailed that most of the Dominicans migrating to the CARICOM islands are the darker ones, even implying that these aren't real Dominicans. So how is someone supposed to interpret these comments when we dont see other Dominicans putting that person in their place?

Old 12-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Anti-Dominican prejudice? After what you wrote about tiny islands and colonies? Make sure you are not projecting the opinion of what you think city-data forumers believe on to the islanders in general....what if I was to think every Dominican has the same contempt for us that you showed a few posts above? Don't worry, I won't. I know enough decent Dominicans in the real world
And this is it. The elite Dominican promoting the notion of a superior DR when statistics dont back this claim.

So one what basis is DR superiority based on one might ask. One thing is that Dominicans throng CARICOM islands. Aside from Haitians, Dominicans do not throng the DR. I am not even sure how many visit on vacation as the airlinks are scanty.

And yes I dont believe that the average Dominican has this view of the English speaking Caribbean but the light skinned elites do project their latent bias by making these remarks.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Well, those islands are tiny (except Trinidad). :
As is the DR which is also a poor country too, so why all of these implications of Dominican superiority, especially when its in these smaller islands where the wages are higher as is the standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas