U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the Dominican Republic (be allowed to) join CARICOM?
Yes. 13 72.22%
No. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:07 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
almost foreign to the people of other regions (hence the questioning of their dominicaness).
And so when our response is to consider Dominicans racially biased, given these comments and the fact that other Dominicans allow these comments to be made. I suggest that Dominicans need to have a conversation amongst themselves instead of attacking those of us who make note of the racial bias which exists in parts of that nation.

A Dominican from La Romana is a Dominican even if he might fit someone's notion of what a Haitian looks like. He is as Dominican as someone from the Cibao even though there are posters here who imply that those from the Cibao define Dominicanness and then flood threads with pictures of light skinned people to make their point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:09 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Each region isn´t particularly tiny, which makes spending most if not all a life in one quite easy./QUOTE]

Good point the Cibao region alone has 5.6 million people, thats more people than any other Caribbean island and almost as much as all the English speaking Caribbean combined (around 6 million).
And NYC has 8.6 million, so what is your point? The reality is that Dominicans go to Antigua for a better life. Antiguans do not go to the DR to live, and in fact when a Dominican airline began service to that island the prime minister had to tell Antiguans not to laugh at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
As Antonio explained clearly that anti-blackness thing is greatly exaggerated, .
It might be but it exists and when Dominicans deny it they give currency to those who discuss it. Just admit that it exists as it does all over the Americas, and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:13 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
, Jamaica is not benefiting sufficiently from the CSME to warrant staying in Caricom."

Has the time come to say farewell to Caricom?

/[/url]
'
In fact Jamaica just announced that they are staying in CARICOM so there will be no Jexit. And yes Jamaica is another problem plagued island forcing its nationals to swarm all over the Caribbean. At least Jamaicans no longer pretend to be superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:17 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
This is by far the most idiotic comment made in the forum. DR is already flooded with CARICOM citizens.
Haiti is a marginal player within CARICOM. I dont even think that they have signed all the accords and they are not in CSME.

So let us get to the CARICOM nations which will determine if the DR joins. Virtually NONE of their citizens lie in the DR whereas THOUSANDS of Dominicans live in their islands, and even Guyana is picking up a few now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:28 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
You dont get to treat CARICOM as a unit or as individual countries when is convenient.
Haiti is part of caricom and the fact is that more caricom citizens live in DR than the other way around at a rate of 20 to 1.
CARICOM is not one country so yes we get to treat it as a collection of 15 INDIVIDUAL states! This is like saying that the United Nations means that all 200 members make it all one world.

CARICOM citizens do NOT swarm the DR. Dominicans swarm several CARICOM nations. These are the FACTS.

The other fact is that there is already a free trade agreement between the DR and CARICOM, meaning that Dominican products can be exported free of import duties and yet there is not one CARICOM economy which has collapsed because of Dominican exports. In fact there is very little which is imported from the DR.

The reality is that the DR and the English speaking Caribbean, which are the core of CARICOM, work differently. There are different narratives of their heritages and identities and elite Dominicans do not understand us, as indicated by this ranting that we see.


You cannot join a club unless you know how it works. Haiti and Suriname joined the club, knowing that it is dominated by former British colonies. The DR doesn't understand this and will not be admitted until they do.

No one is upset if the DR doesn't join as there are larger Latin American nations which are more useful. Mexican chains are investing millions in Jamaica's tourist industry. Can Dominicans do this? No! So climb off your high horse! Its the DR which approached CARICOM to join and when we said "no" they went to the Central Americans. With the exception of CR and Panama, not countries in good shape as the current border crisis shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:29 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Haiti is a full member of CARICOM, the issue is that caricom has not implemented an open migration policy. but Haiti is a full member.
It is NOT! There are many aspects of CARICOM that they have yet to sign and there are not part of CSME. Most CARICOM nations require visas from Haitians as well as from Dominicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:31 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
caricom has not applied its immigration chapter yet, .
It has under CSME and there are now a broad range of occupational categories that are now included, such as hotel cleaners and landscapers. Haiti is not included in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
[quote=Snapshoot;53681887
The vast majority of caricom citizens move about the island using tourist visas not work permits or certificates. r.[/QUOTE]

Tourist visas do NOT apply for CARICOM citizens other than Haitians.

There are a broad range of categories that are now included under the Skills Certificate, even including domestics and landscapers. Farm workers were recently recommended to be added. All professions, paraprofessionals and most vocational trades are already included.

Others can enter a CARICOM nation provided that they have a valid passport, funds to cover their stay and a valid address. And they are given a certain period of time to remain, based on the case that was taken to the CCJ by Jamaica. If they cannot furnish this they are denied entry.


The Bahamas is not part of the CSME either.


There is also a massive amount of cooperation between CARICOM member states covering health, pharmaceutical procurement, agricultural research, CXC which covers a range of secondary school level exams, disaster relief, and many other areas. Way more than the average CARICOM citizen realizes and this is why the Bahamas is part of CARICOM. They aren't party to the trade aspect of it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 06:46 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
When last I checked T&T, Barbados, the Bahamas and Jamaica are part of CARICOM. They are NOT leaving.

What really is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top