U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the Dominican Republic (be allowed to) join CARICOM?
Yes. 13 72.22%
No. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
And its Dominicans that have the superiority complex? Oh the irony.

I believe there's prejudice at both ends, obviously you mainly enjoy touting one.
This isnt a chicken or egg. Antiguans went to the DR and were treated horrendously and so bad memories still remain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
The amount of Dominicans in the English Caribbean is so insignificant that even airlines do not want to connect the islands because lack of passengers. there is a significant grupe of Dominicans in ST martin (about a couple 1000's) but thats a minuscule amount. most Dominicans in the English Caribbean are descendants of people from those islands and hold citizenship from those islands trough family.
Your info is out of date as quite a few airlines connect the DR to the Dominican communities in these islands. Research where Sky High Aviation goes to.

Put it this way if 10% of the population of St Kitts Nevis is Dominican that is a lot for those islands. Its like an American telling a Dominican not to bellyache about Haitians when 11 million Mexicans live in the USA.

And many Dominicans with NO connection to the Cocolos are now arriving! This is especially true for St Maarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
You do not have statistics to back up that claim that there is a "significant" number of Dominicans on these islands. The number is minuscule, almost symbolic.
So there is a miniscule number of Haitians in the DR then. After all an American would wonder what is all the fuss about a mere million people and I refer to those BORN IN HAITI!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:30 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post

Where do you live? The U.S. mainland? Because what you are saying makes little sense. Anyway, Dominicans talking about Haitians being illegal is like the pot calling the kettle black. Spare us your bias. It’s nonsensical.
Exactly. The Haitian population in the DR is INSIGNIFICANT in the global scale. It is significant to the DR so Dominicans need to understand that 6k people in a place with 60k is a lot! Dominicans numbers have impacted wage levels in these islands just as Haitians have done in the DR.

And most of these Dominicans do not necessarily speak English so to claim that "oh well these are just English speaking Caribbean people going home" is not accurate. These are Dominicans and have to make cultural adjustments to fit into the USVI, St Maarten, St Kitts or Antigua. Nothing against these people as they merely try for a better life but a bit hypocritical from people who endlessly wail that Haiti is about to take over the DR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Lol...if you ask me, the Anglo Caribbean should be thanking God that Honduras isn't trying to apply for CARICOM.

Apparently, they've caused such as huge ruckus in Mexico that locals in Tijuana actually prefer Haitian migrants over them.
If the DR isnt coming in definitely NOT Honduras. Despite some here will claim the DR is an Afro Caribbean island with a distinct Latin flavor, so culturally compatible. Its the arrogance of its ELITES that are the issue. Not the ordinary Dominican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,683 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My first impression is that politically it would not be beneficial for the DR; it would be somewhat akin to the relationship the more prosperous nations have with the poorer ones in the UN. Unless the DR is on board with the idea of sharing their burgeoning wealth with less stable governments and economies, I wouldn't do it. But if they have a mutual understanding about taking a making a more shared and altruistic route to the common good, then perhaps it should be considered.
How would free trade shipments be bad for the DR??

The DR knows that its not, which is why they are seeking the join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 11:08 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
How would free trade shipments be bad for the DR??

The DR knows that its not, which is why they are seeking the join.
There is already a free trade agreement with DR CARICOM but very little trade exists and much which does consisted of exports from T&T to the DR. Not sure of the status of this with the impending closure of the T&T refinery.

The issue is CARICOM which is about far more than trade. And that is why DR which has an elite which is incompatible with these nations, peddling nonsense about being richer, maybe because they are whiter, isnt wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My first impression is that politically it would not be beneficial for the DR; it would be somewhat akin to the relationship the more prosperous nations have with the poorer ones in the UN. Unless the DR is on board with the idea of sharing their burgeoning wealth with less stable governments and economies, I wouldn't do it. But if they have a mutual understanding about taking a making a more shared and altruistic route to the common good, then perhaps it should be considered.
What wealth does the DR have. This is exactly why the Antiguans laughed when a Dominican airline began service, given the large numbers of impoverished Dominicans that they see in their island. And it isnt about the "miniscule" number because no Antiguan in 2019 is begging for work in the DR.

I also wouldn't regard the DR as being more stable than most of these English speaking nations either. This country produced a Trujillo and a Balaguer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 03:33 PM
 
142 posts, read 33,969 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
There is already a free trade agreement with DR CARICOM but very little trade exists and much which does consisted of exports from T&T to the DR. Not sure of the status of this with the impending closure of the T&T refinery.

The issue is CARICOM which is about far more than trade. And that is why DR which has an elite which is incompatible with these nations, peddling nonsense about being richer, maybe because they are whiter, isnt wanted.
I this this will answer your question:


https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econom...ntral-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM
 
142 posts, read 33,969 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What wealth does the DR have. This is exactly why the Antiguans laughed when a Dominican airline began service, given the large numbers of impoverished Dominicans that they see in their island. And it isnt about the "miniscule" number because no Antiguan in 2019 is begging for work in the DR.

I also wouldn't regard the DR as being more stable than most of these English speaking nations either. This country produced a Trujillo and a Balaguer.
Well to put it simply. DR economy is 20% larger than the whole caricom combined.
and is not scattered over 1600 km of ocean.

Caricom

GDP (PPP) 2018 estimate
• Total
$145.3 billion
• Per capita
$7,954

Dominican Republic

GDP (PPP) 2018 estimate
• Total
$186.983 billion
• Per capita
$18,164

The Dominican Republic has the ninth largest economy in Latin America, and is the largest in the Caribbean and Central America region. It is an upper middle-income with a average PPP of $18,164 Per capita.

The atomization of caricom is its main reason to fail, small pockets of people in small islands not a very good environment to invest.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-28-2019 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top