U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the Dominican Republic (be allowed to) join CARICOM?
Yes. 13 72.22%
No. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2019, 08:09 PM
 
142 posts, read 34,153 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If the DR isnt coming in definitely NOT Honduras. Despite some here will claim the DR is an Afro Caribbean island with a distinct Latin flavor, so culturally compatible. Its the arrogance of its ELITES that are the issue. Not the ordinary Dominican.
DR is DR, its own thing, pretty much considers the english speaking Caribbean to be irrelevant.
DR has never considered Caricom a thing that was important, Trinidad and Tobago wanted RD to join because was important to them, as DR its its main client in the region. Months go by and the name of Caricom or any of those island dont gets mentioned in the local press, its simply not important and irrelevant for the country. The few Dominicans that go there are non consequential for the country either.

Since DR joined CAFTA-DR, Caricom just faded from the political arena. DR foreign policy is too buy since being elected to the UN Security Council, the whole Venezuela issue, and the whole China relations issue. Going back to engage Caricom will be a step backwards for DR. Caricom is just simply, not a region with a lot of economic growth and basically produces the same products DR does, so getting caught up in endless arguments with little benefits is not something DR should engage on.

the whole premise of this forum should be re-stated, Should DR join CARICOM?

I think that boat sailed years ago, and time is going to tell who had the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2019, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
DR is DR, its own thing, pretty much considers the english speaking Caribbean to be irrelevant.
DR has never considered Caricom a thing that was important, Trinidad and Tobago wanted RD to join because was important to them, as DR its its main client in the region. Months go by and the name of Caricom or any of those island dont gets mentioned in the local press, its simply not important and irrelevant for the country. The few Dominicans that go there are non consequential for the country either.

Since DR joined CAFTA-DR, Caricom just faded from the political arena. DR foreign policy is too buy since being elected to the UN Security Council, the whole Venezuela issue, and the whole China relations issue. Going back to engage Caricom will be a step backwards for DR. Caricom is just simply, not a region with a lot of economic growth and basically produces the same products DR does, so getting caught up in endless arguments with little benefits is not something DR should engage on.

the whole premise of this forum should be re-stated, Should DR join CARICOM?

I think that boat sailed years ago, and time is going to tell who had the reason.
Not really. It was the DR that requested admission into CARICOM back in 1989, not the other way around. The DR came back again 6 years ago. See the article below.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ipsne...t-caricom/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:38 AM
 
142 posts, read 34,153 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not really. It was the DR that requested admission into CARICOM back in 1989, not the other way around. The DR came back again 6 years ago. See the article below.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ipsne...t-caricom/amp/
That whole thing was at TB request, with GAS and OIL being at the center of it.
TB and DR has found other ways to workout the whole gas thing, Now DR will be reselling GAS in the region and to Central America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 04:06 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Trinidad and Tobago wanted RD to join because was important to them, as DR its its main client in the region. .


Not sure where you got the notion that the DR is T&Ts most important regional client as trade in minimal between DR and CARICOM. Jamaica, and Barbados are way more important as are the OECS if taken collectively.


The DR wanted to join and T&T was trying to get others interested. T&T wasn't running the DR down as the CARICOM DR free trade agreement allowed access into the DR for its products. DR teamed up with CAFTA when CARICOM went ahead with Haiti and Suriname but left the DR out.




Yes the ship has sailed as neither entity sees any benefit from it. CARICOM is now focusing on deepening its existing arrangements and becoming more effective. Long gone is the notion that all of the Caribbean needs to be connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 PM
 
142 posts, read 34,153 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Not sure where you got the notion that the DR is T&Ts most important regional client as trade in minimal between DR and CARICOM. Jamaica, and Barbados are way more important as are the OECS if taken collectively.


The DR wanted to join and T&T was trying to get others interested. T&T wasn't running the DR down as the CARICOM DR free trade agreement allowed access into the DR for its products. DR teamed up with CAFTA when CARICOM went ahead with Haiti and Suriname but left the DR out.




Yes the ship has sailed as neither entity sees any benefit from it. CARICOM is now focusing on deepening its existing arrangements and becoming more effective. Long gone is the notion that all of the Caribbean needs to be connected.
are you nuts, the jamaican economy would never consume 900 million dollars worth in natural gas like RD does. RD is the main client of trinidad in the caribbean by far.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/tto/


DR joined Cafta DR negotiations in 2004 almost a full decade before the aplication to join Caricom was submited.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 03-01-2019 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 08:41 PM
 
142 posts, read 34,153 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not really. It was the DR that requested admission into CARICOM back in 1989, not the other way around. The DR came back again 6 years ago. See the article below.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ipsne...t-caricom/amp/
that was before cariforum, DR just wanted that market, and got it.
the 6 years ago application was a Trinidadian move.
just think about it, do you think Dr seriously would join an organization that will eventually push for
open borders and that Haiti is also a member?
no Dominican president would ever sign that. Such a treaty would never pass congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 02:48 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
that was before cariforum, DR just wanted that market, and got it.
the 6 years ago application was a Trinidadian move.
just think about it, do you think Dr seriously would join an organization that will eventually push for
open borders and that Haiti is also a member?
no Dominican president would ever sign that. Such a treaty would never pass congress.
The fact is that the Dominican Republic did make the first request to join Caricom.

As for six years ago...

“In the words of President Danilo Medina, “We have come with open arms, promising to work hard to make the region a better place.”

Medina made his pitch to Caribbean Community leaders who met here over the past four days for their annual summit. He praised the “visionary leaders” from Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Jamaica, who 40 years ago signed the Treaty of Chaguaramas that paved the way for the establishment of the regional integration movement.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ipsne...t-caricom/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2019, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
are you nuts, the jamaican economy would never consume 900 million dollars worth in natural gas like RD does. RD is the main client of trinidad in the caribbean by far.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/tto/


DR joined Cafta DR negotiations in 2004 almost a full decade before the aplication to join Caricom was submited.
Guyana is Trinidadís main client in the region, then RD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 05:06 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
are you nuts, the jamaican economy would never consume 900 million dollars worth in natural gas like RD does. RD is the main client of trinidad in the caribbean by far.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/tto/


DR joined Cafta DR negotiations in 2004 almost a full decade before the aplication to join Caricom was submited.


The DR trades very little with CARICOM, so why would DR be important? Please furnish data to p0rove that T&T is this massive exporter to the DR.


Also there is already a free trade agreement which would cover what limited trade that there is. Why would T&T be running and begging DR to join when this FT agreement covers this?


T&T isn't the only supplier so likely DR sources elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2019, 05:18 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The fact is that the Dominican Republic did make the first request to join Caricom.

As for six years ago...

“In the words of President Danilo Medina, “We have come with open arms, promising to work hard to make the region a better place.”

Medina made his pitch to Caribbean Community leaders who met here over the past four days for their annual summit. He praised the “visionary leaders” from Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Jamaica, who 40 years ago signed the Treaty of Chaguaramas that paved the way for the establishment of the regional integration movement.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ipsne...t-caricom/amp/


The DR wanted to join CARICOM for the same reason that Suriname and Haiti did. To be part of a voting bloc in international forums that represents 14 votes. When CARICOM admitted those two but not the DR the latter went to CAFTA.


What people need to understand is that CARICOM is more than just trade. For instance this past week CARICOM heads were discussing Venezuela and LIAT. And the periodic dust ups that Guyana has with Venezuela.


Why would anyone think that they would want the DR in that mix? Where will its loyalties be?


Haiti is absorbed with their own problems and Suriname is isolated from the rest of the hemisphere so will fit in. They need CARICOM more than CARICOM needs them. The DR has almost double the population of the English speaking Caribbean, so does not. So no DR because this is a club of former British colonies and they don't plan to change it. And they don't plan to bring in an element which doesn't understand them.


A free trade agreement with the DR is enough and including them in CARIFORUM where coordinating global policy with them makes sense.


CARICOM doesn't want the DR in their house as it adds to the already existing complexities of attempting to coordinate and implement policy with countries which have a similar heritage. So bringing in one with a different mindset makes this even worse.


For someone reason Dominican elites love to portray the English speaking Caribbean as a bunch of broke pocket black nations begging the "wealthy" DR. A Haiti extension I guess because Latin American elites cannot understand societies run by the descendants of slaves and indentured workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top