Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dominican Republic (be allowed to) join CARICOM?
Yes. 19 63.33%
No. 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 983 times

Advertisements

No we shouldn't join CARICOM.the DR economy is growing tremendously without it and our Human developement index has recently surpassed that of Jamaica and we are ahead of Belize, Dominica, Guyana etc. And also our GDP per capita is increasing a lot. We don't need CARICOM our economy is among the 2 fastest growing in the Caribbean.CARICOM countries economies are too small and the markets is insignificant.Web have to associate ourselves with South America, Panama and Costa Rica in Central America etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I don't care about El Cibao and how white you guys are there. .
The problem is even in the Cibao, that outside of the elites they aren't that white. They make it too easy for those who paint Dominicans as self hating people who hate anything to do with black people.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa27 View Post
No we shouldn't join CARICOM.the DR economy is growing tremendously without it and our Human developement index has recently surpassed that of Jamaica and we are ahead of Belize, Dominica, Guyana etc. And also our GDP per capita is increasing a lot. We don't need CARICOM our economy is among the 2 fastest growing in the Caribbean.CARICOM countries economies are too small and the markets is insignificant.Web have to associate ourselves with South America, Panama and Costa Rica in Central America etc.
Your HDI is behind a whole bunch of other CARICOM nations though.

Face it. At the bottom is Haiti and then DR is than clustered with the other low performers. The growth of your economy doesn't percolate down to the masses which is why they flee to any rock that they can find in the Caribbean. Why do they go if life is so grand?

NYADIFF

There is a movie about Dominicans in the USVI and the attitudes of the locals towards them is replicated just about every where. They see you guys as you all see Haitians.

And your disdain is noted. They don't want you all either. In fact it was the DR who wanted to join.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:35 AM

302 posts, read 308,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Ok so it is agreed. The black "under class" of the DR have decided that St Kitts, Antigua and other CARICOM nations are better for them than the black "Under class" of those islands think that the DR is.

So the people have voted. Poverty in the DR is worse than it is in many parts of CARICOM. I asked a Dominican how much domestics in that country make. The answer was about 25-30% of what they would make in the Eastern Caribbean. Hence Dominicans (and not just the cocolos) migrate there.

Its about time that these light skinned Dominican elites leave their racist attitudes alone. THAT is why we don't want the DR in CARICOM. How dare they scream that they are better than us when their most impoverished citizens flock to our shores and NONE of our impoverished (except Haitians) flock to theirs.

So these Dominican elites can continue to post videos showing how "white" the DR is. This is sad because even Santiago is heavily a population of mixed race people with obvious African ancestry.

!
Like always you make things a race issue and want to see this as chance for countries to have a urination contest, the whole purpose of the topic was to see whether the DR joining the Caricom would be beneficial on both sides.

I don't think any one here said they are better than that one but simple minded people like you.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Like always you make things a race issue and want to see this as chance for countries to have a urination contest, the whole purpose of the topic was to see whether the DR joining the Caricom would be beneficial on both sides.

I don't think any one here said they are better than that one but simple minded people like you.
Oh so I guess you didn't notice the one who was screaming how "white" Dominicans are and that the Dominicans who migrate to CARICOM aren't "real" Dominicans.

You are boring. Go find someone else to play with like the Dominicans who are citing Guyana as evidence of backwardness.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Dominicans have a close trade relationship with Central and South America. They are an important member of Parlacen. There are plenty of Black people in Central America also. I don't see why every single Thread about the DR has to turned into a debate about race. Calling Dominicans self haters is played out. I know Dominicans that are in no shape or form self haters.

Can we really say there are any countries in the region that are free of racial issues?

Old 10-18-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
DR has to turned into a debate about race. ?

The Dominicans start up showing videos to indicate how "white" they are and proceed to denigrate migration to other parts of the Caribbean by claiming that the Dominicans who migrate are dark skinned. Why is the skin color of these Dominicans relevant? They then proceeding to question whether these are "real" Dominicans, one poster even claiming that none of "their" people are living in these islands.

I suggest that you address those who raise that because when they do they will get a response. If they cannot stand the heat they need to stay out of the kitchen.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:43 PM

302 posts, read 308,351 times
Quote:
Oh so I guess you didn't notice the one who was screaming how "white" Dominicans are and that the Dominicans who migrate to CARICOM aren't "real" Dominicans.

You are boring. Go find someone else to play with like the Dominicans who are citing Guyana as evidence of backwardness.
No I didn't notice that in this thread, but you always have your racists goggles on to see it.

And thats just it I don't see that much Dominicans talking about Guyana on here there are just talking about their politics concerned with their country,as you should be with yours,which is no longer Guyana but America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Dominicans have a close trade relationship with Central and South America. They are an important member of Parlacen. There are plenty of Black people in Central America also. I don't see why every single Thread about the DR has to turned into a debate about race. Calling Dominicans self haters is played out. I know Dominicans that are in no shape or form self haters.

Can we really say there are any countries in the region that are free of racial issues?
You got to understand these guys have nothing else to do but talk about race all day just like these street corner preachers who cry out all day and ask for a donation in their cup.This guy is no different.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post

You got to understand these guys have nothing else to do but talk about race all day just like these street corner preachers who cry out all day and ask for a donation in their cup.This guy is no different.
Funny thing is that you address your screams to a poster who usually triggers discussions about race.

Now run along and genuflect to your hero Jagdeo and tell him that Guyanese are Latin Americans and its a lie to claim otherwise.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:05 PM

453 posts, read 317,372 times
Quote:
Funny thing is that you address your screams to a poster who usually triggers discussions about race.

Now run along and genuflect to your hero Jagdeo and tell him that Guyanese are Latin Americans and its a lie to claim otherwise.
Caricom is basically dead, (even Jamaica is considering leaving). DR joined SICA and its doing fine there with their fellow Latin Americans
As someone pointed out, the amount of Dominicans in the rest of the Caribbean is just insignificant and irrelevant. Saying the Dominicans are swamping those islands is just BS. I only saw a decent amount of Dominicans in ST maartin, none in Barbados, Jamaica, Anguilla, Grand Cayman, some in Trinidad, none in Dominica, none in Guyana. never been to Aruba but i doubt that migrating to Aruba ranks high in the Peking order of possible emigration options.

DR and Caricom are natural competitors in agricultural exports and tourism and DR is winning both.

DR alone took in 54% of all foreign investment in the Caribbean last year.
has been the fastest GDP growth in the Caribbean for a long time.
and is on the path to get 10 millions tourist by 2022 (thats their set goal).
I think joining CARICOM will in fact be detrimental to DR.

DR intentions in joining CARICOM was mostly to sell its products taking advantage of the geographical position, DR historically have not been very enthusiastic about joining trading blocks. it was recently that they joined SICA, but has been outside most economics blocks in Latin America.

Another thing, CARICOM has at some point to allow the free movement of people around the islands and if that will mean allowing Haitians to enter DR visa free, that will never happen, Bahamas warned about the same thing months ago, they will not allow free movement of Haitians no matter what the CARICOM argues. So there you have it, Caricom is dead.

Last edited by upthere22; 10-19-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas