U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the Dominican Republic (be allowed to) join CARICOM?
Yes. 13 72.22%
No. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2018, 04:57 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,928,652 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Caricom is basically dead, (even Jamaica is considering leaving). DR joined SICA and its doing fine there with their fellow Latin Americans
.


Folks here seem to behave as if CARICOM is begging the DR to join. In fact CARICOM is NOT interested in the DR joining. They are happy with a scarcely used free trade agreement that currently exists, as well as minimal coordination of policy when negotiating with the EU under the CARIFORUM umbrella which is CARICOM plus the DR.


The DR-CARICOM free trade agreement gives Dominican products almost as favorable entry into CARICOM markets as do CARICOM member states have amongst themselves. Yet US exporters sells to these markets, so its not that they are too small to be bothered with. In fact CARICOM provides an excellent entry point for a mid sized Dominican company looking to export to an English speaking market. But the facts are that even the bodegas in NYC aren't swamped with Dominican products. DOMINICAN PRODUCTS CAN ALREADY ENTER CARICOM YET THERE SEEM TO BE FEW BUYERS!


It was the DR which begged to join and gave up when CARICOM head of states were too "busy" yet found the time to include Haiti and Suriname, and would happily admit Cuba if that wouldn't jeopardize ties with the USA. The DR then gave up and joined the Central American group.

Because yes as big as some Dominicans might think that the DR is on a global scale its a tiny nation of scant importance so working together with many others allows it a voice. And yes the DR and CARICOM do communicate more than some might want to think because the DR being # 15 in a 14 nation lobby brings more focus than if it is alone. In the OAS this is a formidable group if they coordinate their positions.




Yet I am hard pressed to see any Dominican presence in these islands aside from numbers of migrants swamping places like St Kitts and Antigua (in addition to the Turks & Caicos, ABC islands, the USVI, BVI, St Maarten/Martin, the French Antilles, French Guiana, and Anguilla). And yes a few Dominicans are even beginning to show up in Guyana, to the astonishment of many Guyanese who thought that only desperate Venezuelans would find it attractive. If there is any angst its that a nation of 11 million could send tens of thousands. Add up the Dominicans scattered around the Caribbean and it will shock folks to see how many one will find.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1CJuoKqxU


https://www.pbs.org/video/between-two-shores-sjhwlw/


And these films can be made in any number of Caribbean islands. The salary mentioned by the Dominican woman in Guadeloupe is shockingly low considering that this is not a minimum wage that she had before she left the DR. Shockingly low by the standards of many CARICOM nations. If what she said is true even in Guyana for the job that she did she would have earned more.






CARICOM has levels of cooperation that are never mentioned. Joint activities in areas like agricultural research, disaster monitoring, procurement of pharma, education, foreign relations, and in numerous areas.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribb...e_institutions


More than 23 areas of functional cooperation. Extremely beneficial even to larger CARICOM members like T&T as it allows economies of scale. Interestingly enough Turkey engages CARICOM in dialogue as do Chile and many others. Yes 14 nations coordinating their votes at international forums is something that many find interesting as they lobby for support for their issues in these venues.


The EU has its issues as well, and now we have Brexit with many other nations seriously considering an exit. Much of this disaffection being because countries resent a centralized bureaucracy dominated by Germany and France to a lesser degree, forcing regulations on them. The British tired of this so are out of it. CARICOM never got as bureaucratic so the resentments are less.


Central America is a mess and the caravan that is now en-route to the USA, likely to face extreme hostility from Trump, shows that it is not great. So if folks think that Honduras is better than T&T, Jamaica or the Bahamas, or even Guyana and Suriname, all power to them. When I see Trump ripping babies from Trinidadian women then I will see how great Central America is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 PM
 
381 posts, read 146,511 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Folks here seem to behave as if CARICOM is begging the DR to join. In fact CARICOM is NOT interested in the DR joining. They are happy with a scarcely used free trade agreement that currently exists, as well as minimal coordination of policy when negotiating with the EU under the CARIFORUM umbrella which is CARICOM plus the DR.


The DR-CARICOM free trade agreement gives Dominican products almost as favorable entry into CARICOM markets as do CARICOM member states have amongst themselves. Yet US exporters sells to these markets, so its not that they are too small to be bothered with. In fact CARICOM provides an excellent entry point for a mid sized Dominican company looking to export to an English speaking market. But the facts are that even the bodegas in NYC aren't swamped with Dominican products. DOMINICAN PRODUCTS CAN ALREADY ENTER CARICOM YET THERE SEEM TO BE FEW BUYERS!


It was the DR which begged to join and gave up when CARICOM head of states were too "busy" yet found the time to include Haiti and Suriname, and would happily admit Cuba if that wouldn't jeopardize ties with the USA. The DR then gave up and joined the Central American group.

Because yes as big as some Dominicans might think that the DR is on a global scale its a tiny nation of scant importance so working together with many others allows it a voice. And yes the DR and CARICOM do communicate more than some might want to think because the DR being # 15 in a 14 nation lobby brings more focus than if it is alone. In the OAS this is a formidable group if they coordinate their positions.




Yet I am hard pressed to see any Dominican presence in these islands aside from numbers of migrants swamping places like St Kitts and Antigua (in addition to the Turks & Caicos, ABC islands, the USVI, BVI, St Maarten/Martin, the French Antilles, French Guiana, and Anguilla). And yes a few Dominicans are even beginning to show up in Guyana, to the astonishment of many Guyanese who thought that only desperate Venezuelans would find it attractive. If there is any angst its that a nation of 11 million could send tens of thousands. Add up the Dominicans scattered around the Caribbean and it will shock folks to see how many one will find.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1CJuoKqxU


https://www.pbs.org/video/between-two-shores-sjhwlw/


And these films can be made in any number of Caribbean islands. The salary mentioned by the Dominican woman in Guadeloupe is shockingly low considering that this is not a minimum wage that she had before she left the DR. Shockingly low by the standards of many CARICOM nations. If what she said is true even in Guyana for the job that she did she would have earned more.






CARICOM has levels of cooperation that are never mentioned. Joint activities in areas like agricultural research, disaster monitoring, procurement of pharma, education, foreign relations, and in numerous areas.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribb...e_institutions


More than 23 areas of functional cooperation. Extremely beneficial even to larger CARICOM members like T&T as it allows economies of scale. Interestingly enough Turkey engages CARICOM in dialogue as do Chile and many others. Yes 14 nations coordinating their votes at international forums is something that many find interesting as they lobby for support for their issues in these venues.


The EU has its issues as well, and now we have Brexit with many other nations seriously considering an exit. Much of this disaffection being because countries resent a centralized bureaucracy dominated by Germany and France to a lesser degree, forcing regulations on them. The British tired of this so are out of it. CARICOM never got as bureaucratic so the resentments are less.


Central America is a mess and the caravan that is now en-route to the USA, likely to face extreme hostility from Trump, shows that it is not great. So if folks think that Honduras is better than T&T, Jamaica or the Bahamas, or even Guyana and Suriname, all power to them. When I see Trump ripping babies from Trinidadian women then I will see how great Central America is.
you seem not to understand, DR has an abysmal trade surplus with CARICOM, actually DR sells billions to caricom and only buy natural gas from trinidad. remember that 90% of everything Haiti consumes come from DR. And saying you will be hard pressed to see dominican products in Caricom is also a lie. Presidente is the only beer that is consistently found in all islands from anguilla to bonaire. and also DR export millions in construction materials to caricom.

DR dosent need caricom to have voice, actually RD started to join Latin American political groups and was immediately elected to represent latin american in the UN security council, DR now sits with the big boys.

Caricom is an oddity in america, a loose arraignment of islands with low population and low GDP trying to pull together to be heard, DR can aspire to something bigger than that for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 PM
 
295 posts, read 180,817 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Funny thing is that you address your screams to a poster who usually triggers discussions about race.

Now run along and genuflect to your hero Jagdeo and tell him that Guyanese are Latin Americans and its a lie to claim otherwise.
I oblige you to post examples of the racism and slander that posters made against Guyana and the Caribbean here.

As they say showing is better than telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2018, 06:03 AM
 
381 posts, read 146,511 times
Reputation: 196
You are wrong about DR joining caricom, It was trinidad who proposed admission of DR into the block after DR admission application has been dormant for a decade, DR was way deep into the talking to Join SICA and already has CAFCA-DR with the US. DR already got what they wanted from caricom when they joined cariforum, they have access to the market without the political implications. they are having their cake and eating it too. Joining caricom will only be detrimental. There is nothing to win and a lot to lose (caricom will start demanding DR to allow Haitians in) so DR right now got what they wanted. DR moved to greener pastures with no regrets.

caricom on the other side is falling into irrelevancy as the regional group dosent even contain the largest economies in the region. Shirking tourism, the end of the EU sugar cuotas, increasing debt, Hurricane destruction, etc etc ect is not looking good down there. They are even canibalizing eachother now, Barbados just basically lured Ross university out of Dominica taking 20% of their GDP with them. dick move! thats how friends treat eachother down there, Barbados took advantage of the hurricane destruction and instead of helping, lured the college out of Dominica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
 
905 posts, read 912,483 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The Dominicans start up showing videos to indicate how "white" they are and proceed to denigrate migration to other parts of the Caribbean by claiming that the Dominicans who migrate are dark skinned. Why is the skin color of these Dominicans relevant? They then proceeding to question whether these are "real" Dominicans, one poster even claiming that none of "their" people are living in these islands.

I suggest that you address those who raise that because when they do they will get a response. If they cannot stand the heat they need to stay out of the kitchen.
It's hilarious the bias these dominicans have. i'm still waiting for that one poster to explain why his people are the lower class in every country they go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 14 days ago)
 
5,179 posts, read 8,025,013 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
you seem not to understand, DR has an abysmal trade surplus with CARICOM, actually DR sells billions to caricom and only buy natural gas from trinidad. remember that 90% of everything Haiti consumes come from DR. And saying you will be hard pressed to see dominican products in Caricom is also a lie. Presidente is the only beer that is consistently found in all islands from anguilla to bonaire. and also DR export millions in construction materials to caricom.

DR dosent need caricom to have voice, actually RD started to join Latin American political groups and was immediately elected to represent latin american in the UN security council, DR now sits with the big boys.

Caricom is an oddity in america, a loose arraignment of islands with low population and low GDP trying to pull together to be heard, DR can aspire to something bigger than that for sure.
The most recent figures I could find is in this article that cites exports to CARICOM in 2016. (https://elnacional.com.do/exportacio...os-cinco-anos/)

Conclusions from the article:

DR Exports to CARICOM (2016): US$1.075 billion
DR Exports to CARICOM increased 28.8% from 2011 to 2016.
DR has a positive trade balance with CARICOM (DR sells more to CARICOM than what CARICOM sell to DR).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 05:42 PM
 
Location: In Miami but, Inside the Resistance !!
1,790 posts, read 757,804 times
Reputation: 981
To The Pollsters, I say YES....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2018, 11:21 AM
 
381 posts, read 146,511 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The most recent figures I could find is in this article that cites exports to CARICOM in 2016. (https://elnacional.com.do/exportacio...os-cinco-anos/)

Conclusions from the article:

DR Exports to CARICOM (2016): US$1.075 billion
DR Exports to CARICOM increased 28.8% from 2011 to 2016.
DR has a positive trade balance with CARICOM (DR sells more to CARICOM than what CARICOM sell to DR).
This guys always drift to the racial issue because the cant argue the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM
 
909 posts, read 667,272 times
Reputation: 1205
Strange silence from DR forummers about the supposed Dominicano who showed absolute racist contempt towards his fellow Dominicans who happened to be of darker pigment. Basically said they dont even count as Dominican.

Interesting

At any rate, as I said before in this thread, no to so called common markets in general and no to DR joining CARICOM in particular. Benefit to both sides is minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM
 
381 posts, read 146,511 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Strange silence from DR forummers about the supposed Dominicano who showed absolute racist contempt towards his fellow Dominicans who happened to be of darker pigment. Basically said they dont even count as Dominican.

Interesting

At any rate, as I said before in this thread, no to so called common markets in general and no to DR joining CARICOM in particular. Benefit to both sides is minimal.
Whatever that guy said is not the point of the tread, you guys insist in drifting there like a broken record, a clear example of changing the subject. The subject is CARICOM AND DR and the economics of it.

that comment was 4 pages ago.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top