U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:09 PM

2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
How bad is the "Santa Fe" district in Bogota?
A mixed bag.

The Santa Fe district includes the traditional business centre 'Centro Internacional' where all the old skyscrapers are, the National museum, the National Park, the planetarium, the MAMBO and the artsy cafe-restaurant neighbourhood of 'La Macarena' BUT it also includes the sketchy Red Light district where you see working girls in the doorways even in the day time and the run-down areas around the business district.

Personally I like the area but I feel I have more of a tolerance for sketchy than most. The Ibis hotel is here and I think its a great location as you're between the nightlife of the north, the history of the south and the parks/malls/airport in the west. The area is pretty dead at night though unless there's a 'ciclovia nocturna' going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,467,884 times
joacocanal: It's irresponsible for you to encourage people to wander around in unfamiliar neighborhoods. I don't believe you even do this yourself as you have claimed. Nobody with half a brain does that sort of thing. There's even many places in the U.S. where it's not wise to do that.

Bogota has slums, poor neighborhoods and violence just like Cali or Medellin. It's best to avoid those areas. Bogota also has nice areas and calm areas where it's safe.

For tourists considering visiting Bogota, simple and effective advice is: ask the front desk people in your hotel "Where is it safe to walk around and at what hours of the day?"

Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote from another thread yesterday from an American who's been living in Colombia for the past decade:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
The only place where I have consistently normal conversations with strangers/new acquintances is Bogotá. While there is still a level of scary street crime there,

Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Quote from another thread yesterday from an American who's been living in Colombia for the past decade:
Just like in Philadelphia though. But is the paranoia remotely similar? That's an important point. Also you cut-out the rest of what he said about Bogotanos being "worldly". That in itself is a juxtaposition of promoting homicide as a real threat to a tourist that's going to be there a couple of weeks or month at most.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Just like in Philadelphia though. But is the paranoia remotely similar? That's an important point. Also you cut-out the rest of what he said about Bogotanos being "worldly". That in itself is a juxtaposition of promoting homicide as a real threat to a tourist that's going to be there a couple of weeks or month at most.
Tourists aren't at threat of being killed (except for the remote chance of being shot in the process of being mugged, which is probably about the same chances you would have in a big city in the U.S.).

Old 10-04-2018, 11:16 AM

46 posts, read 40,701 times
Santa Fe was the most sketchy, lot of flee markets, but not overall dangerous. Never got robbed or mugged when walking alone. Granted, I avoided the most dangerous parts and was street smart. Or maybe just got lucky haha. I highly recommend visiting it, ok you need some basic Spanish to survive but if youre smart nothing bad will happen.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:50 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNlogol View Post
Santa Fe was the most sketchy, lot of flee markets, but not overall dangerous. Never got robbed or mugged when walking alone. Granted, I avoided the most dangerous parts and was street smart. Or maybe just got lucky haha. I highly recommend visiting it, ok you need some basic Spanish to survive but if youre smart nothing bad will happen.
When you say flea markets do you mean actual flea markets or just people setting up shop on the streets? I like that type of area where they have "ventas callejeras".

Old 10-27-2018, 06:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 756,501 times
Unless inside a Hummer, I would not be goinn around anywhere in Culombia...by myself.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Unless inside a Hummer, I would not be goinn around anywhere in Culombia...by myself.
Over 6 million foreign tourists and nearly a 30% year on year increase in tourism (compared to the world average of 4% growth) as well as Medellin's position as "THE" international digital nomad hub together with Chiang Mai tell a different story.

This year tourism is expected to reach nearly 8 million foreign tourist arrivals. By September Colombia had already matched last year's figure. The only one missing out here is you and those that buy into a complete distortion of the reality versus the reputation.

United States is the largest contributor to Colombian arrivals, followed for the first time ever by Brazil. Brazil jumped from 7th main tourist contributor to 2nd in the space of 2 years.

colombias tourism economy reached record heights in 2017

Old 10-28-2018, 06:48 PM

279 posts, read 151,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
We don't need you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or