U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times

Advertisements

Tourism definitely is increasing a lot, but you still gotta be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 PM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
When you say flea markets do you mean actual flea markets or just people setting up shop on the streets? I like that type of area where they have "ventas callejeras".
There are several actual flea markets in Bogota. There is a well known downtown Mercado de Las Pulgas that is only open on Sundays but it's pretty interesting to browse in they have everything from snacks to crafts to antique cookware.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 478,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNlogol View Post
Am I likely to get mugged during the day? Should I use taxi, or Uber or bus or walk around ? How about going out at night?
With the current issues going on presently, I will wait......This month alone, two travelling American tourists, have been killed in Mexico. And Columbia, Ecuador, Honduras, Venezuela, and Guatemala, are all experiencing problems with the current issues of breaking through borders.......NOT the time to be travelling alone......

Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
With the current issues going on presently, I will wait......This month alone, two travelling American tourists, have been killed in Mexico. And Columbia, Ecuador, Honduras, Venezuela, and Guatemala, are all experiencing problems with the current issues of breaking through borders.......NOT the time to be travelling alone......
That's been going on for 25 years plus....same things when I went through South America in the 1990s. There was never a safe time, but many people go alone all of the time...and you always meet people when you do anyway.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 AM

2,874 posts, read 1,545,141 times
Quote:
Wow your media really does have you paranoid. You should investigate how many tourists are mugged or killed in the US a year that don't reach the headlines. US-Americans live on this constant fear, must be exhausting.

British tourist stabbed to death by New York woman 'to rid her home of evil' - The Telegraph

FYI Mexico has nothing to do with Ecuador or Colombia, they're huge distances apart.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with this - there's nothing particularly special going on right now in Colombia where you shouldn't travel there alone. You can travel alone to Bogota, just make sure to follow normal Latin American precautions. If you don't know what those are, ask or look at what I've written, I wrote a thread a couple months back describing do's and don'ts.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Walking Bogota...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSC3qkKTiE

Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 PM

^^
That's the cookie-cutter part of Bogota which is fine and all but there are several parts of the city with much more character.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:28 PM

Once you experience the alternative nightlife and subcultures in Bogota, you get hooked for life...it just is what it is. Bogota is not a love at 1st sight city but delve a little deeper and it feels like the most interesting, truly authentically layered city in the world - after London of course.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
it feels like the most interesting, truly authentically layered city in the world - after London of course
I know this is off topic, but I dunno about London dude. I've only been there a couple times for brief periods but it seems there's a lot of racist people there. I've gone into bars and heard guys (white English guys) blatantly making racist comments (on a couple occasions seems that I was the target of it). And this was just during a very brief visit of a couple days. Did I just get unlucky or is this a common thread over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or