U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:49 AM

2,874 posts, read 1,545,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I know this is off topic, but I dunno about London dude. I've only been there a couple times for brief periods but it seems there's a lot of racist people there. I've gone into bars and heard guys (white English guys) blatantly making racist comments (on a couple occasions seems that I was the target of it). And this was just during a very brief visit of a couple days. Did I just get unlucky or is this a common thread over there?
Yeah you do get the throw away comments that make you go like WHAT? But the good thing is that you can usually have a candid perhaps heated exchange and in the end become "friends", kind of the "you're alright mate" ending - British culture is just less sensitive and offended all the time compared to US culture. I think the main issue with Brits is that they're upset other communities don't integrate and some of the welfare abuse that goes on. That's why in general even the most working class chavy lad would get on with black Anglo Caribbean people because they integrate but hardly interact with some other communities. Especially the 2nd generation islamist communities that cause harm to a country that's given them every need and opportunity. Personally I think the UK is one of the nost tollerant and culturally respectful societies in the world without being anything near a racial paradise - its still perhaps the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 10:58 AM

974 posts, read 1,963,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Once you experience the alternative nightlife and subcultures in Bogota, you get hooked for life...it just is what it is. Bogota is not a love at 1st sight city but delve a little deeper and it feels like the most interesting, truly authentically layered city in the world - after London of course.

Absolutely. Medellín and Cartagena pull people in at first glance, but anyone digging deeper always makes a pivot toward Bogotá...it blows anywhere else out the water. I certainly have done a total 180 and I can´t stop singing Bogotá´s praises. A lot of Colombians disparage the city, but jealousy can do that

It´s hard to compare Bogotá to anywhere else outside of the continent, but there´s no reason why it can´t keep up with or exceed other hard-hitters of the region like Rio, Buenos Aires, México City, etc.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Personally I think the UK is one of the nost tollerant and culturally respectful societies in the world without being anything near a racial paradise - its still perhaps the closest.
Ok that's interesting. Definitely gives me a different perspective in contrast to the assumptions I was starting to make. I appreciate the info, I'll keep a more open mind about it next time I'm there.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Absolutely. Medellín and Cartagena pull people in at first glance, but anyone digging deeper always makes a pivot toward Bogotá...it blows anywhere else out the water. I certainly have done a total 180 and I can´t stop singing Bogotá´s praises. A lot of Colombians disparage the city, but jealousy can do that
Yeah most of my family is disaparaging about rolos, as a result I haven't spent hardly any time there, plus we don't have any immediate/close relatives living there, but I would like to spend more time there someday.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 PM

Colombia is different all around and anyone that visits feels like they're visiting a bunch of countries, Medellin and Cartagena are just 2 examples of many. Its almost impossible to compare or say which one is better, the regions are really night and day and depends on your interests, likes and dislikes. Nowadays even Filipinos are ex-pats in Colombia...and suprisingly in less talked about places like Santander.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:21 PM

320 posts, read 349,949 times
I lived there for three years between June 2014 and July 2017 and I went on a short vacation this past winter, Dec. 2018/Jan 2019 for three weeks. My wife has also been away from Colombia between July 2017 and Dec 2018 (18 months).

Any way, when we returned for those three weeks we both agreed something has changed in Bogota in just those 18 months. Can't quite put a finger on it but something felt a little off, seemed like there were more sketchy people around too. We both felt the need to be more alert.

Any way, for those 3 years, as well as 3 weeks recently, we have been fine for the most part, even with some of the vibes we have gotten in our most recent visit. I had a cheap Nokia smartphone pick pocketed at theatron (my third visit to the place) during Halloween 2016 but otherwise, my wife has not had issues since at least 2012. She was robbed at knife point at the, wanna say Cardio Infantil station when TM first opened or whenever that station was open. I lived at Mazuren when I first met her so that station brought back memories for her when she passed it to get to Mazuren station to see me.

I digress, if you come be aware of your surroundings is the biggest thing, take well lit streets at night. Jump into a store or shop if you ever feel someone is following you (it can happen, happened to my wife and I once or twice during our recent visit and we just ran into an oxxo or juan valdez for 15 minutes), don't have more than you need on your person when going out, have a copy (not the original) of your passport and take ubers, they are cheaper and safer. A few times I have ended up in more sketchy areas exploring a little too much, especially in 2014 but people were always willing to let me know i was heading into a bad area. Not that someone else should depend on someone always being there to let you know...

My wife and I will be moving back to Colombia, sort of close to Bogota in a small town in a month so soon I will have even more experience. I would say come, just be street smart.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
when we returned for those three weeks we both agreed something has changed in Bogota in just those 18 months. Can't quite put a finger on it but something felt a little off, seemed like there were more sketchy people around too. We both felt the need to be more alert.
Funnily enough I was in Bogota in March/April of this year and I felt the same vibe. I love Bogota but there's definitely something off, I think people are getting tired of the constant institutional corruption, the mayor Peñalosa has completely failed in curbing violent muggings or fulfilling his promising infrastructural vision for the city and Petro before him was completely chaotic. The huge number of desperate Venezuelans has also made an impact.
It gives the sense that Bogota is ungovernable, I hope Claudia Lopez is sworn in and can turn the city around. Bogota does creative industries very well, this I believe is one of the tickets to putting the city back on track along with urgently needed accessible green spaces and transport infrastructure.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM

I was briefly in Bogota a couple years ago hanging on for a couple days. I didn't feel anything untowards but I don't have anything to compare it to as I'm not familar with the city and we were basically most of the time in one neighborhood.

I would like to spend some decent time (1+month) there someday. I wouldn't mind that at all. I've got a friend who's in a band there and being a musician myself I'm sure I could hang out with her and her friends and we would find ways to pass the time.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Quote:
Funnily enough I was in Bogota in March/April of this year and I felt the same vibe. I love Bogota but there's definitely something off, I think people are getting tired of the constant institutional corruption, the mayor Peñalosa has completely failed in curbing violent muggings or fulfilling his promising infrastructural vision for the city and Petro before him was completely chaotic. The huge number of desperate Venezuelans has also made an impact.
It gives the sense that Bogota is ungovernable, I hope Claudia Lopez is sworn in and can turn the city around. Bogota does creative industries very well, this I believe is one of the tickets to putting the city back on track along with urgently needed accessible green spaces and transport infrastructure.

I was planning on going to Bogota until recently. Bogota went through a period of increasing optimism and lower crime rates, but much of my recent readings warn of increasing crime and danger there. Even in the most "safe, upscale places". So for the time being i have crossed it off my desirable places to visit.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Two of my acquaintances were in Bogota recently and both witness a mugging close to them. It was their first time there. I haven’t had any issues in that city, but maybe something is changing. It could also be coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or