U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I was planning on going to Bogota until recently. Bogota went through a period of increasing optimism and lower crime rates, but much of my recent readings warn of increasing crime and danger there. Even in the most "safe, upscale places". So for the time being i have crossed it off my desirable places to visit.
I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you I would just go. The only thing you need in Colombia is some street smarts, if you've been in other places in Latin America or Mexico then it's basically the same. I've got family in Colombia and I go to visit every year. Plus they say Bogota is "safer" than the places I go (Valle del Cauca, Cali).

On a different note I see you are located in NM, I was born and raised in Albq (you've probably seen me commenting on the NM forums).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Two of my acquaintances were in Bogota recently and both witness a mugging close to them. It was their first time there. I haven’t had any issues in that city, but maybe something is changing. It could also be coincidence.
It's never been "mugging-free". It's a big city, there's a lot of poor neighborhoods, some of which have always been dangerous. Things probably fluctuate every few years, as they do in a lot of cities, but my rule of thumb is there's a baseline for Latin America, if you always view it like that, then you always know what to expect.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you I would just go. The only thing you need in Colombia is some street smarts, if you've been in other places in Latin America or Mexico then it's basically the same. I've got family in Colombia and I go to visit every year. Plus they say Bogota is "safer" than the places I go (Valle del Cauca, Cali).

On a different note I see you are located in NM, I was born and raised in Albq (you've probably seen me commenting on the NM forums).
Hi, thanks for your views. I"m a NYC transplant to ABQ and love it here.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks for your views. I"m a NYC transplant to ABQ and love it here.
Well if you were raised in NYC then you've got enough street smarts to handle yourself in Bogota.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

974 posts, read 1,963,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Well if you were raised in NYC then you've got enough street smarts to handle yourself in Bogota.
Definitely. It's just about common sense and not looking for trouble. I wouldn't discourage people from visiting Bogotá, it just has too much to offer.

Cali and Medellín are far more dangerous startistically, though Medellín's geography cuts a good bit of the most dangerous areas off from the tourists.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 1,545,141 times
Quote:
I was planning on going to Bogota until recently. Bogota went through a period of increasing optimism and lower crime rates, but much of my recent readings warn of increasing crime and danger there. Even in the most "safe, upscale places". So for the time being i have crossed it off my desirable places to visit.
Colombian cities are fine but it's towns and rural areas the country does best. I would never suggest Bogota, Medellin, Cali or even Cartagena as the top Colombian destinations, just great bases to discover the real jewels of the country, the surrounding villages and countryside.

I say give Bogota a year. To be fair the city's serious crime rate has continued to decrease to its lowest ever level, what they haven't been able to get a handle on is muggings and people are just truly getting fed up!! A change in the mayoralty will hopefully help to curb this as Bogota has had 3 mayoral terms of pretty mediocre administration in sharp contrast to the ones before that gave the sensation that Bogota was going to be the next global Alpha city. I remember the place was sooo alive until about 2010. I think what has happened to San Francisco can be relateable to Bogota.

As has been said by others if you're a New Yorker you'll have more than enough street smarts to be fine in Bogota. I say this as a South London boy with no problem in Bogota and London is way safer the New York for the most part.

A couple hours north of Bogota you got the state of Boyaca though which has first world crime rates. Tunja is as safe as San Jose or Albuquerque and loads of wonderful villages like Villa de Leyva, Mongui, Raquira and Guatavita to discover. I would split my Bogota region time up between these towns and the city.

Villa de Leyva

Plaza Mayor in Villa de Leyva, Kolumbien by Georg Rubin, on Flickr

Mongui

Portal Ciudad de Piedra by Pedro Pablo Orozco, on Flickr

Monguí by Jimena Alvarez, on Flickr

Raquira

Raquira, Colombia, artisanal village, by Rita Willaert, on Flickr

Guatavita

Guatavita Panoramica by Wladimir Valdes Avila, on Flickr

Guatavita by Jeremy Hurtado, on Flickr

Countryside around Bogota...

Old Today, 09:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 1,635,992 times
Bogota and Colombia in general have gotten less safe over the last few months due to the influx of Venezuelans. I know this because we have many friends and family there and a few were robbed at gunpoint in formerly safe areas. A boy was stabbed and critically injured when his cellphone was stolen in a really nice part of town.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

2,167 posts, read 4,193,974 times
Quote:
My husband and I stayed in Bogota for several days earlier this year (January) before joining up with a tour headed to other parts of the country. Bogota is great, and I highly recommend visiting. We stayed in the Chapinero neighborhood--it's very safe and adjacent to a string of other safe neighborhoods. This isn't to say that crimes don't happen there, but keep your wits about you and you'll do fine.

Same goes with the downtown and Candelaria (historic center)-- a little more edgy, but quite safe during the day (we didn't go there at night, though). The folks on this forum gave me good advice about neighborhoods to avoid and neighborhoods to make a point to visit. Bogota is a big city with a lot of big city problems, but it is also a historic city with amazing culture, arts, cuisine, etc. On one day, we hired a birding guide and explored a wetlands on the edge of the city as well as a couple of natural sites north of Bogota. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to see the salt cathedral in Zipaquirá or visit nearby colonial villages, but we'll just have to do that on our next visit.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

3,211 posts, read 1,635,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
My husband and I stayed in Bogota for several days earlier this year (January) before joining up with a tour headed to other parts of the country. Bogota is great, and I highly recommend visiting. We stayed in the Chapinero neighborhood--it's very safe and adjacent to a string of other safe neighborhoods. This isn't to say that crimes don't happen there, but keep your wits about you and you'll do fine.

Same goes with the downtown and Candelaria (historic center)-- a little more edgy, but quite safe during the day (we didn't go there at night, though). The folks on this forum gave me good advice about neighborhoods to avoid and neighborhoods to make a point to visit. Bogota is a big city with a lot of big city problems, but it is also a historic city with amazing culture, arts, cuisine, etc. On one day, we hired a birding guide and explored a wetlands on the edge of the city as well as a couple of natural sites north of Bogota. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to see the salt cathedral in Zipaquirá or visit nearby colonial villages, but we'll just have to do that on our next visit.
Things have changed a lot since January. Your experience might not be the norm at this point. We have many friends and family there and the security situation has deteriorated recently. The thieves know all about these "safe areas".

Old Today, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Colombian cities are fine but it's towns and rural areas the country does best. I would never suggest Bogota, Medellin, Cali or even Cartagena as the top Colombian destinations, just great bases to discover the real jewels of the country, the surrounding villages and countryside.
I'll second this. I don't bother with the cities much. When I go there, I go straight to the town where my relatives are and I hang out there. It's peaceful, the food is better.

Quote:
Tunja is as safe as San Jose or Albuquerque
I don't know how "safe" Albuquerque is. It ranks #1 in the USA for property crime and auto theft and ranks high for violent crime as well (just two days ago four people were shot, so far this year there's been roughly one shooting incident per day in Albq.).
But Tunja, I've been told has lower crime than the rest of Colombia. Not sure why. I've never been there. Driven by it on the highway but didn't stop.
What I recommend for people visiting Bogota or whatever is: when you're on the street, be aware of people looking at you and be aware if anyone starts following you. That's a sign of potential trouble. Also, ask locals where "hot spots" are for robberies or where "bad neighborhoods" are. One neighborhood might be okay while the neighborhood immediately adjacent looks exactly the same to your eyes but is problematic.

Last edited by 80skeys; Today at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or