U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 AM

5,880 posts, read 9,502,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post
I got back from a trip to Spain just last week. I was astounded by the number of Latin Americans I saw
"saw" ?? How were you able to distinguish them? There's quite a lot of dark-skinned Spaniards, and aside from someone who's obviously of native-indigenous origin, I wouldn't feel confident in visually distinguishing Latinos from other ethnic groups in Spain.

Now, if you mean "heard", that's a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:07 AM

Also, can someone please elaborate on the claim that if you are a "hispanic-American", you can get nationality in Spain after living there for two years?

What does this mean? What are the requirements? What's the process?

Old 09-13-2018, 09:03 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Spain has good relations with most of its former provinces, even Equatorial Guinea gets special treatment from Spain and that’s the only Spanish-speaking country in Africa.

I think the only countries that have a cooled off relationship with Spain are:

- Venezuela, especially after Hugo Chavez annoyed the living daylight of former King Juan Caros II in an Ibero-American reunion. Hugo Chavez interrupted Spain’s president and then the king got so fed up with Chavez’s babbling that he decided to interrupt Chavez and told him to shut up.

Here is the epic moment. It starts with the Spanish president, then Chavez interrupts, and then the visibly annoyed King of Spain drops the bomb. lol Needless to say, Chavez did shut up after the king’s reaction.

- Bolivia, I get the feeling that Spain isn’t too happy with this country.

That’s pretty much it.

Spain has good relations even with Puerto Rico, despite its not an independent country.

Cuba and Spain also get along well, despite very different ideologies. Spain never imposed an embargo on Cuba, to give an example.

Queen Letizia visited the Dominican Republic this past spring. Here is when she arrived at the National Palace in Santo Domingo. It was a big fanfare in the Dominican media.

In Spain itself Hispanic Americans get certain privileges. For example, anyone from Spanish America that moves to Spain can gain Spanish nationality after just 2 consecutive years of residence in the kingdom. All other foreigners can gain Spanish nationality after living in Spain for 10 consecutive years and proving they are fully integrated into Spanish society.

The King of Spain also attends the inauguration of every single president in Spanish America (including the inauguration of new governors in Puerto Rico). He’s usually reserved a distiguished seat in the front row of the ceremonies.

In comparison, after the US declared the Monroe Doctrine, the US became a sort of step father to many Hispanic American countries, but the US president hardly ever attends the inauguration of presidents in Latin America.
Lots of Venezuelans have moved to Spain, especially the wealthy ones.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:05 AM

24,247 posts, read 17,649,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
No, it's because the 60 years under the same kings in the XVII century. France, the US or Switzerland have received more than 1 million of spaniards and don't have the same rights.
Yes. Any country formerly a part of the Spanish empire has these rights. And Brazil spent those 60 years under the same kings of Spain because Spain and Portugal shared three kings.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. Any country formerly a part of the Spanish empire has these rights. And Brazil spent those 60 years under the same kings of Spain because Spain and Portugal shared three kings.
So, if I want nationality in Spain, all I have to do is show where I was born?

Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 PM

632 posts, read 288,759 times
Language binds them all together. The Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española helps keep them all on the same page, linguistically speaking... more or less... but only Spaniards use vosotrosmadrileños lisp a lot... caribeños swallow their post-vocalic esses… and Italian immigrants *intonated* rioplatense. Each country preserves its own regionalisms. Cubans talk like they have cotton in their mouths.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:44 PM

2,876 posts, read 1,554,845 times
Generally good except I think Spaniards are generally quite ignorant of Latin America, the converse is the case with Britain whereby the general populace is more informed of its former colonies on the most part.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:00 AM

426 posts, read 233,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Some people say the United States and Great Britain have a “special relationship”, one that is especially close. Can the same be said for relations between Spain and Latin American countries?
I think Great Britain hates the U.S. lol maybe some like America/americans but I feel that It’s the other way around and that Americans look up to Great Britain. Now when it comes to Latin America and Spain, I feel that it has always been like a siblings rivalry kind of relationship. There always seems to be some fighting with one another, some form of jealousy, animosity etc but not every individual is like that. Some Latin Americans are still very upset about what happened to their indeginous populations since colonialism and still have a lot of animosity towards them. Now of course what happened was horrible, In my opinion I feel that the Taino’s had it the worst but anyway, Latin Americans that still harbor these feelings cannot expect that every single Spaniard living today is related to let’s say someone like Vasco da gama, Columbus or Alvar núñez cabeza de vaca for example. Even if somebody had an ancestor who was a conquistador, what do they have to do with what their possible great great great great great great great grandfather has done? Then you have Latin Americans who love Spain, look up to Spain and refer to it as the mother of all Latin American countries. You will equally find stuck up Spaniards and stuck up Latin Americans who hate everyone lol. Then you will find very down to earth people who are very kind who treat each other as friends. I used to know a few Spaniards that worked in a restaurant with Latin Americans who were Mexican, Dominican etc and they would call each other brothers and get a long just fine. This might seem like a taboo thing but Spaniards actually do get married with Latin Americans sometimes. You might not hear about it a lot and Spaniards usually prefer to marry a European over a Latin American as first choice becuase they have more common ground, even though it would be easier to communicate with someone who’s Latin American so that way they can speak in Castilian but it does happen. I know a Peruvian woman who is married to a Spaniard and I have met a few others from different Latin American countries who are married to Spaniards or dating a Spaniard etc. I would actually like to see more positive relations between Latin America and Spain, I think that would be great.

Last edited by Yourgermanicanish; 09-14-2018 at 03:23 AM..

Old 09-14-2018, 03:01 AM

505 posts, read 461,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
"saw" ?? How were you able to distinguish them? There's quite a lot of dark-skinned Spaniards, and aside from someone who's obviously of native-indigenous origin, I wouldn't feel confident in visually distinguishing Latinos from other ethnic groups in Spain.

Now, if you mean "heard", that's a different matter.
According to official data from Spanish Statistics Institute, top 5 Hispanic American countries with immigrants in Spain are (in this order):

Ecuador
Colombia
Bolivia
Argentina
Peru

Other than Argentinians, who are ethnically mostly Spanish/Italian and quite similar in looks to Spaniards, all the other nations have people that are for the most part either mestizo (a combination of Spaniard and Native-American) or fully Native-Americans.

So it is very easy to distinguish one for the other, visually, because most Spanish people are white/European. Also, it is not only the facial features or the color of the skin, but also any other looks, like clothes, ways of behaving, etc, that will make the difference.

For example, people also know how to distinguish French or German or American people from Spaniards when in Spain, because their way of behaving and the activities of a tourist vs a local are different.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Generally good except I think Spaniards are generally quite ignorant of Latin America,
This is what a couple friends in Spain told me recently. I asked what they thought of the Mexican presidential elections and they said they didn't know anything about it and that most Spaniards don't care.

Regarding language, it's not just vosotros, it's also all the eis stuff (quereis, llamais, etc.) that is used a lot in Spain. For me that's probably the main language difference. They also sometimes use vocabulary in ways that are understandable, but sound strange, to Latins or American Hispanics. Taken by itself, each word is common, but they string them together in ways you wouldn't do. (I'm sure vice-versa is true to Spaniard's ears.)

Regarding conquistadors, Cabeza de Vaca was actually one of the few outspoken in support of indigenous peoples. He actively worked to prevent them from getting abused and, as a result, was imprisoned and put on trial in Spain for "treason". I doubt any Latin Americans harbor ill-feelings towards him, but they certainly do towards some of the other notorious ones like Pizarro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
So it is very easy to distinguish one for the other, visually, because most Spanish people are white/European.
No, there are many people in Spain with ethnic European roots - Arabic, Romano, and so forth - and they
look similar to Latinos.
Quote:
Also, it is not only the facial features or the color of the skin, but also any other looks, like clothes, ways of behaving
Or silicon-enhanced buttocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or