U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 PM

9,521 posts, read 9,399,709 times

Advertisements

Is there more than one accent heard among Puerto Rico’s Spanish speakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM

583 posts, read 907,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is there more than one accent heard among Puerto Rico’s Spanish speakers?
I have never noticed the difference in their speaking habits/accents from other P.Ricans.
And I have had friends from Mayagüez, Ponce, San Juan, etc.
There may be a difference from island Spanish (PR) and mainland US accent (mainly NE).

Old 10-03-2018, 12:00 PM

909 posts, read 666,589 times
Would be surprised if there weren't different accents in PR....other islands have different accents between rural and urban, working class and upper crust....PR is probably the same

Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 PM

632 posts, read 285,611 times
When I was studying at the Universidad de Puerto Rico in Río Piedras, a friend used to make fun of how people from the mountains talked.

I was reading a snippet in a book by Manuel Alvarez Nazario. He also states that people living in the western mountains have their own speech patterns. Too, people living in the Loíza area (on the northern coast east of San Juan) have a tonality to their speech that sets them apart from other Boricuas, according to this same author.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 AM

387 posts, read 112,882 times
I suppose that jibaros have a different accent.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:08 AM

974 posts, read 1,962,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
I suppose that jibaros have a different accent.
That´s the impression I always got. My neighbors in San Germán used to do impressions of people from ¨el campo¨ (meaning up there in the mountains), but back then my ear wasn´t trained enough to really pick up what was so different/funny about it. I also learned that there is slightly different vocabulary up in the mountains, like apparently instead of ¨malta¨ they say ¨black beer¨.

I´m headed back to PR in December, it´ll be interesting to try and pick up on the differences now that I have a much finer tuned ear.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 AM

7,555 posts, read 2,425,094 times
The ones from the mountains seem to have different accents to me...and that’s coming from someone who isn’t Puerto Rican or even a native Spanish-speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or