U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)

5,196 posts, read 8,032,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Colombia:
I've seen one too many Pitbull and Reggaeton music videos, but for a single man I think Colombia has some of the most beautiful latin women in existence. I've actually researched a couple destinations and traded emails with an expatriate guy who lived there & surrounding countries.

15 years ago I think this was one of the most dangerous possibilities, but the risk has fallen relative to then. I had some backpacker college girls laugh in my face when I suggested Colombia was not safe (they spent last summer there). I trust the US State Dept Travel advisories for where the current hot spots are:
https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Objectively, Colombia is safer than Mexico in 2018. I wil probably make a trip there in the next few years.
I wouldn´t put as much trust on the US State Dept reports, because unfortunately they have been known to be biased against countries the US government has some issues with (regardless if those issues are well known or state secrets). A much more balanced source is Great Britain´s travel advisories and even Canada´s. At least those governments don´t act like a pissed off ex that can´t get over that you left them and due to that they paint you as the reencarnation of the devil. lol

Compare their advisories with those of the US State Dept and you will see what I mean for several countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud
Puerto Rico:
Friend of mine raved about it before the last hurricane. Would give me pause in the near term for that reason.
I would go now. The island has greatly recovered and many of the top hotels are starting to finish their renovations, some (such as the swanky El San Juan Hotel) are already open for business again. Due to the lower numbers of tourists compared to before Maria, the possibility you can experience Puerto Rico at a discount is very real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 01:26 PM

5,832 posts, read 9,482,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
not sure if you are being serious about that but, just in case, no, it's not common at all that someone would get killed for messing with married women.
You are wrong. Not uncommon. Regarding this and the other things I listed, I can personally describe people who have been killed for those very reasons. Take a look at the homicide stats for Colombia. What do those numbers reflect? It's not all cartel or FARC violence. The other portion of it are the things I listed.

Many of these events aren't relayed on the news. Do you live in Colombia? Depending on where you live and how much socializing you do, you might not hear about them, but it certainly happens with regularity. Go hang out in towns in and around Valle del Cauca and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Being a policeman is actually perhaps less risky than the other things on the list. Most police in Colombia are shrewd enough (and corrupt enough) to know when to avoid meddling in something dangerous.

Regarding the married woman thing - oh, most certainly it happens. My cousin's coworker was knifed to death on the street (hired killing) for this very reason about two months ago in Cali. In Colombia it's very easy to pay someone to kill someone else - there are a lot of teenagers (< 18yo) running around who are paid to do this very thing.

Now, how does this relate to the thread? Very little except that when people talk about violence in Colombia they never provide any context. They simply throw out a statement about it being "violent" or "safe" without any clarification. So I'm providing the clarification and the context. The main threat to you as a tourist are not the things I mentioned on the list because most tourists don't get involved in those things. The main potential threats to tourists are: going into neighborhoods you shouldn't go into, or going into areas of the country with heavy presence from criminal groups (paramilitary, ELN, FARC, drug cartels). This latter one is mostly out in the middle of nowhere, so most tourists don't have to worry about that either. Backpackers usually don't have cash, but they do carry expensive cameras and need to realize they can get robbed.

Last edited by 80skeys; 12-23-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
but for a single man I think Colombia has some of the most beautiful latin women in existence. .
You can get that out of your head right now. 99% of the women in Colombia who are going to deign to give a foreign man the time of day are prostitutes, doing it for money only, they already have their own boyfriends/kids/etc. If you are looking for a *real* relationship with a Colombian woman, you have a much greater chance of finding this outside Colombia.

Quote:
15 years ago I think this was one of the most dangerous possibilities, but the risk has fallen relative to then.
Has fallen, but still can be dangerous depending on where you go.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 PM

2,876 posts, read 1,548,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Go hang out in towns in and around Valle del Cauca and you'll see what I'm talking about.
That's sort of the disparity between you two, not all of Colombia is Valle del Cauca if VdC were taken out of Colombia, Colombia's homicide rate would plummet. Joaco is from the Boyaca area, did you know Tunja has a homicide rate of 3.6 per 100k? We're talking Portland, Oregon rates.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 948,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Lol funny. I like that plenty of the newer generations in the US are not living on this fear propagated by the US media. Older generations in the US just seem more susceptible to brainwash.

I agree there is an "effect" where information is seeded into someone's memories, and then they do not acquire or process "new, more relevant information".

You can see this in yourself - you probably think the music from your own "late teens/early 20s" is the best kind of music, and everything on the radio in Dec 2018 is crap.

I literally hitchhiked from Teotihuacán back to Mexico City, (solo), because I was too cheap or impatient to buy a pass on a luxury private motor coach. Dont think I would do that again. Those backpaper college girls, apparently had the same lack of fear... ahhhhh to be young and foolish...

Old 12-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I wouldn´t put as much trust on the US State Dept reports, because unfortunately they have been known to be biased against countries the US government has some issues with

Compare their advisories with those of the US State Dept and you will see what I mean for several countries.
I do. I have professional business were peers/coworkers travel often, and not always to common tourist destinations. But I totally recognize the bias you speak of, and you are wise to get second opinions from the UK, or your other G6/8/20 sources. 30 years ago people used "travel agents" to guide their vacation choices, nowdays, people just sort the expedia or trip advisor search results by price, look at 5 pics of the hotel, and click "buy it now".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The island has greatly recovered and many of the top hotels are starting to finish their renovations,
Due to the lower numbers of tourists compared to before Maria, the possibility you can experience Puerto Rico at a discount is very real.
Agreed. I did the same thing visiting Cancun in 2006. I stayed in a true 5 star hotel for super-cheap. Just had to put up with the sound of hammers and skillsaws at 7am. The good news is, my then-wife and I were the *only ones* at the hotel pool, no waiting for as many strawberry margaritas as you wanted to ask for.

Last edited by SUPbud; 12-23-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
it's not common at all that someone would get killed for messing with married women.
The concept is very familiar and not controversial in the slightest, for many of us. She dont have to be married (or may not be inclined to tell you this)
and you don't have to be in sultry latin latitudes (but it helps)

I offer Jimmy Buffett's 'Cuban Crime of Passion'

/ messy and old fashioned /
/ anejo and knives a slashin' /
/ but thats what the people like to read about /
/ up in America /

I also like Jim Croce's Bad Bad Leroy Brown,
because my brother could play the song with his harmonica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E

Old 12-23-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
That's sort of the disparity between you two, not all of Colombia is Valle del Cauca
Thanks for pointing that out. Most of my experience pertains to the Valle area, so it tends to color my viewpoint, but you're right there's other towns and locations with less crime.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
That's sort of the disparity between you two, not all of Colombia is Valle del Cauca
Well... everyone who lives in colombia knows these things happen. I'm not sure why joaco would deny it ..
Quote:
Lol funny. I like that plenty of the newer generations in the US are not living on this fear propagated by the US media. Older generations in the US just seem more susceptible to brainwash.
Yes and no. You have to realize many of these backpacking people believe themselves to be invulnerable. It's sort of the result of an "entitled" attitude plus the fact they've never faced real danger in their lives. I'm not saying the "brainwashing" was accurate either, I'm just saying there are places in the world with real danger and it's foolish to ignore that. The trick is to figure out what kind of danger and how to avoid it as a tourist.

Last edited by 80skeys; 12-23-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 04:38 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,548,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yes and no. You have to realize many of these backpacking people believe themselves to be invulnerable. It's sort of the result of an "entitled" attitude plus the fact they've never faced real danger in their lives. I'm not saying the "brainwashing" was accurate either, I'm just saying there are places in the world with real danger and it's foolish to ignore that. The trick is to figure out what kind of danger and how to avoid it as a tourist.
I don't disagree but I'm inclined to think different, the fear propagated through the US media is real! It takes a lot of mental strength and logic to resist that bombardment especially as a young impressionable person. No doubt those college girls were scared before travelling to Colombia, I'm sure they did their due research taking from other traveller's experiences, most would have especially as a single female.

As for the "invincibility" thing we've all lived through that phase, backpacking people or not. As for your last statement, that I'm in total agreement with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or