U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 02:15 PM

5,828 posts, read 9,478,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmozey View Post
Costa Rica is probably the most "expensive" country to retire to.
No reason to go there anyway. It's like Colombia (same accent, same mountainous terrain, coffee), except strip away the things that are good about Colombia: in Costa Rica fresh juice is not readily available (despite the fact that it grows everywhere they sell canned juice instead), fresh food is not readily available, they don't hardly have any of their own industry, prices are high and quality is lacking because the country is geared towards tourism and expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,547,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No reason to go there anyway. It's like Colombia (same accent, same mountainous terrain, coffee)
Yes same accent and similar culture but only to the coffee region of Colombia because the rest of Colombia is quite different from Costa Rica except for some similarity between Limon and San Andres.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:32 PM

5,828 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes same accent and similar culture but only to the coffee region of Colombia because the rest of Colombia is quite different from Costa Rica
True.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM

715 posts, read 476,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes same accent and similar culture but only to the coffee region of Colombia because the rest of Colombia is quite different from Costa Rica except for some similarity between Limon and San Andres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
True.

untrue. Paisa accent is very sui generis, it has no comparison in Colombia, much less outside of the country.

To me, Costa Rican accent resembles that of Santander.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
untrue. Paisa accent is very sui generis, it has no comparison in Colombia, much less outside of the country.

To me, Costa Rican accent resembles that of Santander.
False. You're thinking of the Paisa accent from Medellin. The coffee region accent although a derivative of Paisa has deviated substantially. Cuyabro culture shares kinship with Costa Rican culture, my family is Cuyabro and I think partially 80skeys is too. I've actually had it happen to me twice where I've been speaking to someone thinking they're from around where my family is from and in the end it turns out that they're actually Costa Rican.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:36 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Taiwan has quite ugly cities and it seems every year its affected by a hurricane or an earthquake or both.
That's rich when like 95% of the Latin American cities are just as ugly (and barely functioning, not to mention violent and poverty-stricken) and have next to no capacity of handling any sort of natural disasters (except Chile).

Quote:
On top of that, the country faces an uncertain political future with only a handful of countries recognizing Taiwan as a separate country from China (while the rest of the world basically accepts that Taiwan is a rebellious province of mainland China).
I think most people would take limited statehood recognition over the banana republic mess, out-of-control criminality, outrageous corruption, extreme poverty, and hyper-inflation in Latin America except Chile, Costa Rica and Uruguay, and even in those three (plus the US) the crime and poverty level puts Taiwan to shame. The only country in the Americas with comparable poverty rate (one of the lowest in the world) or crime rate (close to Japan's level) to Taiwan is Canada.

Quote:
Add to that a very high cost of living and a difficult language for many people from the West (Europe + Americas) to learn properly.
Taiwan is cheaper than Brazil (at least Taipei's cost of living is lower than Rio or Sao Paulo's) but the income is considerably higher. Language is a poor argument as most expats in Taiwan get by with very limited knowledge in Mandarin. They don't really bother learning it.

Quote:
Last but not the least, Taiwan is a long flight away, not good for people with family in their home countries and that like to visit them often or receive their visits frequently.
Distance is relative. Latin America is extremey far for Asians and Europeans.

I'm not saying that Taiwan is the best country in the world (because it's not; I don't even like it that much myself) but it's definitely better than every single country in Latin America in almost every single parameter there is, and the HDI reflects it (0.907 as of the latest data; the highest in LA is Chile at 0.843, which would be Taiwan's figure like 30 years ago).

Last edited by Greysholic; 12-23-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 08:29 AM

715 posts, read 476,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's rich when like 95% of the Latin American cities are just as ugly (and barely functioning, not to mention violent and poverty-stricken) and have next to no capacity of handling any sort of natural disasters (except Chile).

lol no I remember seeing lootings and other things when that earthquake in Chile happened years ago.

Quote:
I think most people would take limited statehood recognition over the banana republic mess, out-of-control criminality, outrageous corruption, extreme poverty, and hyper-inflation in Latin America except Chile, Costa Rica and Uruguay, and even in those three (plus the US) the crime and poverty level puts Taiwan to shame.
Montevideo has roughly the same homicide rate as Bogota as of now: 11-12 per 100.000 people. Costa Rica has a lot of criminality, Chile too.

the two countries with more than one digit inflation are Argentina and Venezuela. Other countries don't have such problem.

extreme poverty exists all over LatAm with various degrees.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

).
True you make good points, But if the HDI is so high in Taiwan compared to banana republics, why is Taipei so ugly?

Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Only Guatemala and Honduras are Banana republics. That is where the term comes from. It doesn't really apply to the rest of Latin America.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Only Guatemala and Honduras are Banana republics. That is where the term comes from. It doesn't really apply to the rest of Latin America.
Actually you'll be surprised that the term actually finds its origins in the Magdalena department of the Caribbean coast of Colombia after the Cienaga massacre (Banana massacre) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Massacre also heavily depicted in the Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel, '100 years of Solitude'.

Chiquita (aka: United Fruit Company) still has legal charges against it relating to the 1928 massacre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or