Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which South American country has the highest standard of living?
Brazil 15 12.82%
Chile 46 39.32%
Argentina 33 28.21%
Uruguay 20 17.09%
other (write in your post) 3 2.56%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

I have never been to the South American continent before, but I'm starting to get curious about it for some reason. Chile and Argentina in particular, but a bunch of others as well. Which country do you think has the highest "standard of living" in South America? Which South American country is your favorite? Where would be a good choice for an American interested in working abroad but still wanting to maintain a "First World" lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Something like 75% of Argentina's population lives in the Buenos Aires metropolitan area, so it's very cosmopolitan. Santiago, Chile is also very "first world", though I've heard that once you get out of the big cities, it's just like any backwater Latin American country.

The large cities in Mexico are very much like large cities in the US. I hope to be able to find work there after college- though I have no interest in maintaining typical "1st world" amenities.

My favorite Latin American country by far though is Bolivia. While I haven't been there (my parents nixed a summer program there), an American could live with a very high standard of living on very little there.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I've heard very good things about Uruguay.
The spouse might be be going there this year to work on a development project.
But I've never been south of Guatemala.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 AM

3 posts, read 44,195 times
How can I find out the average income for an architect in Uruguay? I've been looking for days! I'm so frustrated

[email]deepspacedesign@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I have visited most countries in South America. There are no countries in South America that as a whole can be considered "first world" developed nations such as USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, Western Europe, Japan and a few other east Asian nations.

Chile is economically quite stable and has progressed a lot in the last two decades. Parts of Santiago (such as city center, Providencia, Las Condes, Lo Barnechea) are very prosperous and look like you might be somewhere in Spain or Italy. Many other parts of Santiago are not as prosperous (San Miguel, Puente Alto) and you know that it is a third world country, but even in those less prosperous places there are encouraging signs of economic development and improvement.

Outside of Santiago, there are many attractive and pleasant cities, especially in the central valley heading a few hours south on highway 5. The wine region in the Maule Valley has countryside that could pass for Napa or Sonoma valleys, but not the level of wealth in the towns.

Argentina has some prosperity around Buenos Aires, but they still have a big percentage of the population that is unemployed or underemployed. I think Argentina is sort of an economic teeter totter, very unstable. Leave the capital city and things really start to change. They don't have a large manufacturing base.

Brazil has the largest pockets of first world development in Latin America, mainly in the southern states of Sao Paulo, Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. There is still a portion of people living in third world poverty in the cities and countryside of these states, but there is a significant middle class in these four states and by far the strongest and most diverse economy going in Latin America. It is an interesting and eye opening place to visit, and many quite nice places to live. I am bullish on Brazil, the most potential for social and economic improvement of all countries in Latin America.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,260 times
Default Brazil

Hi!

I'd say Brazil has the highest standard of living in South America. At the same time it probably also contains one of the lowest ones, depending on where you are.

Saludos

Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Brazil has the largest pockets of first world development in Latin America, mainly in the southern states of Sao Paulo, Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. There is still a portion of people living in third world poverty in the cities and countryside of these states, but there is a significant middle class in these four states and by far the strongest and most diverse economy going in Latin America. .

I hear there's a movement in Southern Brazil to split away from the "northeasterners" and form their own country.

Brazil does seem like one of the most divided countries out there. In one section of the country, you have a primarly European population with a high standard of living, in another part of the country you have third world-esque slums and poverty and then in another part of the country you have wilderness.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:35 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I have never been to the South American continent before, but I'm starting to get curious about it for some reason. Chile and Argentina in particular, but a bunch of others as well. Which country do you think has the highest "standard of living" in South America? Which South American country is your favorite? Where would be a good choice for an American interested in working abroad but still wanting to maintain a "First World" lifestyle?
You sure are a sojourner Vegas pilgrim, I almost moved to Chile for many reasons but I would say Brazil is where many American investors are going today, I would go with Chile for it's traditional feel, both European and Latin American feel, low crimer rate, lower divorce rates and it's scenic divide from north to south of deserts, mediterranean, lakes and patagonia. I am nonetheless very fond of Chile and it's people.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,704 times
The countries in the southern part of South America like Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and some parts of Brazil have more of a European flavor. In the northern part of South America you have countries with a more uniquely Latin American flavor like Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecquador. For vacation I definitely prefer northern South America because it is more exotic and the people are friendlier. But as a place to live I might choose southern South America because it is a bit more like the US since the standard of living is often higher.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,187 times
Go for Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas