U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-07-2018, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,208 posts, read 1,593,153 times
Reputation: 706

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Sometimes I wonder why some of you keep debating with him. As soon that I noticed how quickly he misrepresented what I said (as if this debate is taking place in person and not in written form where anyone can go to the original posts and see what anyone actually said), I cut short my debates with him. No need to debate with someone that is comfortable exaggerating or misrepresenting others opinions. The line between that and outright lying is very thin.


This is obvious to anyone that accepts reality as it is. Dominicans see themselves as a separate cultural group from anyone else for the sole reason that they are a different cultural group with a different history and a different outlook in life. The other groups that are very similar to Dominicans are latino groups such as Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, and Panamanians; and most of that is due to the Spanish culture with strong African and important indigenous influences, in that order of importance, that makes up those cultures.

In maps of NYC that show the city’s ethnic demographic grouped in four groups (white=green , Asian=red, latinos=orange, and others=purple) it is very clear where Washington Heights end and Harlem begins in the northern part of Manhattan.

[img]https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/2015/07/08/census-map/0e13706b21b2d3c74408a9adc4b6e011e8bd540a/thumbnails/newyork.jpg[/ing]
New York Times: Mapping Segregation

Ironically, not too long ago Washington Heights got a new name.

Upper Manhattan Designated First ‘Little Dominican Republic’
Stupidity will not be allowed....what exactly did I state incorrectly? Where Dominicans in Harlem were located? I think your map confirmed. Did it not. If I need to start copying and pasting my posts to you in response let me know..just tell me what ws stated incorrectly that your map refutes....ill wait broski....

I cant help myself....so what Dominicans dont claim Harlem?? Please advise....I know yall havent lived thee but since you know so well...lol....Washington Heights has not been renamed....since you like links.....i have an apartment for you..
https://bohemiarealtygroup.com/view-ad/?id=186620

Man stop REACHING....they did not rename the neighborhood....they merely designated it little DR just as they did with little italy and spanish harlem....lmao....silly guy, tricks are for kids...

I can add more just let me know what you need....an idiot will always try to marginalize the facts of a wise man but will never answer his questions......

Last edited by SLIMMACKEY; 11-07-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2018, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,208 posts, read 1,593,153 times
Reputation: 706
Dominicans see themselves as a seperate group?? In Harlem?? They are nor intimate ingrained in the black, and boriqua communities as friends and lovers? Hmm......i should tell my daughters mother and a **** load of other Dominicans at they didnt get the message....and just like I asked PrizeWinner AntonioR, since yo FALSELY claim Wash Heights is not Harlem as he does, what about East Halem? Do Boriquas not claim Harlem as well...lol...what about Hamilton Heits? No Harlem either??....Morningside Heights? Not Harlem either huh....Strivers Row?...say it aint so......

You guys are funny....not Chappelle funny, but still funny....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 02:45 PM
 
301 posts, read 187,121 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post

I split my time between Rio and Harlem.....where did you stay? Cause my daughters mother, born in Santiago, raised in Manhattan sand every other Dominican I know absolutely will tell you Wash Heights is an extension of Harlem....just concede that your point is wrong.


LOL I doubt , I've never heard any Dominican claim Washington Heights as Harlem,they just refer to it as the Heights. How about you stop making up stuff and deal with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post

Crackpot statement...lmao...the words of a man who cannot support his argument and is mad when someone who refutes his statements does so in fact....so lets talk...

South Texas Mexican use the word just as much as blacks...why? they grew up with blacks....from Brownswille, to Corpus Cristi, to Houston....man Im verywell traveled so you should not make claims that are false...I will not comment on something I do not have intimate knowledge of....you should do the same sir...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Right and just as Mexicans in South Texas grew up with Afro Americans so did the Mexican Chicanos in LA. Although the relationship is strained and their is strong cholo style there still is a bit of Black Angeleno influence.

More over the blacks and Chicanos in Norcal have a culture that is almost intertwined.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post


Que amigo? Do you deny they use the term in Brazilian Hip Hop and Baile Funk? I mean you have an illiterate way of AGREEING with someone whom you really want to disagre with. I made the point that in everyday convo Brazilians do not use the term with each other but it is used in rap here...didnt i?? I believe I did.....do you listen to Brazilian Hip hop? Old and new? Do you know what they talk about? How they talk? I mean if you want to debate any of my statments then lets do it, one by one......
So what if its used in Brazilian rap, rap is fantasy and entertainment. Just as much as you have many rappers fantasizing they are playboys and kingpins, Brazilian rappers can emulate something in country foreign to them, doesn't mean they say the word.

I really don't understand your point. Do Brazilian Blacks and blacks in all over have things in common yes, but that doesn't mean their is relevancy to what they go through in their own turf.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post

And alas....you TRY to cherry pick to refute my facts but please stop...all Cabo Verdians are not mixed...and I specifically stated that my Great grandfather was dark as chocolate and considered himself white until he moved to New Orleans....he was in denial. He said it.....
Thats what I said , not all Cape Verdians are not mixed, thats why they know they can't claim white or Portguese, but around other Africans they are considered white.


LOL at your Great Grandfather who was Cape Verdian, thats just like a black dude from NYC to say they have Puerto Rican , Dominican,and now a Cape Verdian great-grandparent . That is literally 3 generations ago. By a long shot it might of been that way back then but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 PM
 
301 posts, read 187,121 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Sometimes I wonder why some of you keep debating with him. As soon that I noticed how quickly he misrepresented what I said (as if this debate is taking place in person and not in written form where anyone can go to the original posts and see what anyone actually said), I cut short my debates with him. No need to debate with someone that is comfortable exaggerating or misrepresenting others opinions. The line between that and outright lying is very thin.
I know but I'd figured I'll add my perspective to the topic, since many Dominicans and Non-Dominicans are getting sidetracked with subtopics ,I thought I would bring clarity and substance to these side topics so it can get back on track.

He definitely is not thinking from world view and sees it from his perspective as an Afro-American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

This is obvious to anyone that accepts reality as it is. Dominicans see themselves as a separate cultural group from anyone else for the sole reason that they are a different cultural group with a different history and a different outlook in life. The other groups that are very similar to Dominicans are latino groups such as Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, and Panamanians; and most of that is due to the Spanish culture with strong African and important indigenous influences, in that order of importance, that makes up those cultures.

In maps of NYC that show the city’s ethnic demographic grouped in four groups (white=green , Asian=red, latinos=orange, and others=purple) it is very clear where Washington Heights end and Harlem begins in the northern part of Manhattan.


New York Times: Mapping Segregation

Ironically, not too long ago Washington Heights got a new name.

Upper Manhattan Designated First ‘Little Dominican Republic’
Its not obvious to him, I dont know if its just cultural, I had a Latino that used to live in the Heights and they never called it Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,208 posts, read 1,593,153 times
Reputation: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
LOL I doubt , I've never heard any Dominican claim Washington Heights as Harlem,they just refer to it as the Heights. How about you stop making up stuff and deal with reality.

Sure.....ill be back at my apartment in November for thanksgiving so whyu not meet me in harlem and we can ask them directly? Its very telling how you think you know matter of factly but cannot dispell my facts...but OK...carry on...

Right and just as Mexicans in South Texas grew up with Afro Americans so did the Mexican Chicanos in LA. Although the relationship is strained and their is strong cholo style there still is a bit of Black Angeleno influence.

I know Im right....but how so is the relationship strained?

More over the blacks and Chicanos in Norcal have a culture that is almost intertwined.

No **** sherlock...I stated as much but carry on....this is very entertaining...



So what if its used in Brazilian rap, rap is fantasy and entertainment. Just as much as you have many rappers fantasizing they are playboys and kingpins, Brazilian rappers can emulate something in country foreign to them, doesn't mean they say the word.

Once again, when a fool is faced with the truth they will deny it....so what if its used in Brazilian rap....wow. It matters as a rebuttal to the statement that blacks in Latin America dont use it....and when faced with the facts how quickly an attempt to marginalize it...but carry on.....oh, and if they emulate it and say it in rap songs it kinda means they say the word. They had to say it to emulate it right? And when you wanna come to Rio and see how much the rap circle uses it or street guys in Lapa, Centro, and some Favelas use it let me know. I am accomodating here as well as NYC....but carry on....

I really don't understand your point. Do Brazilian Blacks and blacks in all over have things in common yes, but that doesn't mean their is relevancy to what they go through in their own turf.

Once again...see this happens when you try and marginalize or refute a fact thats in rebuttal to a speculative reach...maybe you should read all the statements made and my response. If you dont understand then maybe you cant...but carry on....



Thats what I said , not all Cape Verdians are not mixed, thats why they know they can't claim white or Portguese, but around other Africans they are considered white.

You and Antonio both tried to refute this fact when I stated it...now you state it and its a fact...hmmm...I see what you did there...but carry on...


LOL at your Great Grandfather who was Cape Verdian, thats just like a black dude from NYC to say they have Puerto Rican , Dominican,and now a Cape Verdian great-grandparent . That is literally 3 generations ago. By a long shot it might of been that way back then but not now.
So my great grandfather wasnt from Cape Verde?? And how do you know that?? Wow.....i mean where did we all get the portuguese language from that was passed down? Hmm.....

And lastly, your last statement just showed literally your ignorance....so no Black dude in NYC can claim A boriquan, dominican, cape verdian, columbian, panamanian, costa rican, etc family lineage?? Yeah, I knew you didnt know what you were talking about a few posts ago but you REALLY just showed...blatantly...lmao. For the 2nd time in this thread, Im from New Orleans, so I know you cant read or didnt read....and to be clear whatever you THINk you know about black people in the states you clearly are ignorant on that subject. But do indulge me by stating how it is impossible for a black person in th US to not have a great grandparent of one of those nationalities? Especially in NYC...are you wanna of those colorists that thinks everyone is all african because they are dark skinned? Ah, you must think that if one doesnt look as what you call "mulatto" then one cannot have that kind of admixture right? Wwow...i shouldnt be shocked at this ignorance that you just displayed but like I said its entertaining...please expound on this....if you can......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,208 posts, read 1,593,153 times
Reputation: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
I know but I'd figured I'll add my perspective to the topic, since many Dominicans and Non-Dominicans are getting sidetracked with subtopics ,I thought I would bring clarity and substance to these side topics so it can get back on track.

He definitely is not thinking from world view and sees it from his perspective as an Afro-American.

You have no clarity and substance. And I have proven that. World view? OK....Well I will gladly compare my passport stamps to yours...and I will gladly compare my living situation to yours...where is it you are again? The DR? I canshow you around NYC, or I can show you around Rio. Wwhich would you like? Because your uneducated views about the similarities of the black experience in countries with Afroxx populations is quite revealing.......if you want to unpack the issues you have with Afro Americans Im here and we can do that....and maybe you can share what the true perspective of black americans is since you may have "had" an African American...



Its not obvious to him, I dont know if its just cultural, I had a Latino that used to live in the Heights and they never called it Harlem.
You had a Latino that iused to live in the Heights and never called it Harlem? I own an apartment in Harlem, and never heard anyone who lived in the Wash Heights section deny they live in Harlem.....The only cultural issue is taht you and the other guy claim to know stuff you dont. And when questioned where you get you info from you start talking about right wing media and heresay. But what do I know...I just live there part of the year; you actually had a Latino there. So it doesnt matter that we both lived there you had the Latino...lmao.

And how does this guy know Im african american?? if you see a black person from america that doesnt mean they are african american...i mean thay have dark skinned latinos in the US....they have blacks who are from the caribbean....but the ignorance of yours and Prizewinners statements is on dispaly....i speak fluent portuguese and about half the cariocas here in Rio think im brazilian....i mean, i speak fench so i can to cameroon and fit in, haiti, benin, congo niger, senegal....so you dont know what I am bro. I ****ing speak spanish....thats how me and my daughters mother (who is from Santiago DR) met...she thought I was Dominican.why? Cause they have dark dominicans and I have very wavy hair? The fact that you probably think every black person in america is Afro-American says so much about you and your level of ignorance. Have you been to the US and spent time in her diverse cities? Where are you again??...

You too need to unpack whatever baggage you have as it pertains to Sfro Americans so as I stated to the other guy, we can do that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 AM
 
301 posts, read 187,121 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Sure.....ill be back at my apartment in November for thanksgiving so whyu not meet me in harlem and we can ask them directly? Its very telling how you think you know matter of factly but cannot dispell my facts...but OK...carry on...
Been here to already know,I don't want to meet you, I don't do homosexual booty calls.You need to learn how to quote btw.As messy as your posts are, I will clean it up and show you how its done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post


I know Im right....but how so is the relationship strained?

No you're not, and as far as the relationship you are going to have to do your homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post

Once again, when a fool is faced with the truth they will deny it....so what if its used in Brazilian rap....wow. It matters as a rebuttal to the statement that blacks in Latin America dont use it....and when faced with the facts how quickly an attempt to marginalize it..
The highlighted response is actually is so retarded , in your post before you said Brazilians whether they be Afro-Brazilian or not don't use the term in real life interactions , and just said that the use in rap is to mimic American rappers.


Now keep in mind that even if they happen to say n!kk@ in Brazilian rap thats just Brazil not all of Latin America especially the only Portuguese speaking country in South America.




I will quote your contradictions directly.




Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post



I made the point that in everyday convo Brazilians do not use the term with each other but it is used in rap here...didnt i?? I believe I did.....do you listen to Brazilian Hip hop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post


They had to say it to emulate it right? And when you wanna come to Rio and see how much the rap circle uses it or street guys in Lapa, Centro, and some Favelas use it let me know.
This is one of the many contradictions you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post


Once again...see this happens when you try and marginalize or refute a fact thats in rebuttal to a speculative reach...maybe you should read all the statements made and my response. If you dont understand then maybe you cant...but carry on....
Put your typing to better use.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post



You and Antonio both tried to refute this fact when I stated it...now you state it and its a fact...hmmm...I see what you did there...but carry on...
Put your typing to better use.







Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post


So my great grandfather wasnt from Cape Verde?? And how do you know that?? Wow.....i mean where did we all get the portuguese language from that was passed down? Hmm.....
Ok if you say so.




Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post


And lastly, your last statement just showed literally your ignorance....so no Black dude in NYC can claim A boriquan, dominican, cape verdian, columbian, panamanian, costa rican, etc family lineage?? Yeah, I knew you didnt know what you were talking about a few posts ago but you REALLY just showed...blatantly...lmao. For the 2nd time in this thread, Im from New Orleans, so I know you cant read or didnt read....and to be clear whatever you THINk you know about black people in the states you clearly are ignorant on that subject. But do indulge me by stating how it is impossible for a black person in th US to not have a great grandparent of one of those nationalities? Especially in NYC...are you wanna of those colorists that thinks everyone is all african because they are dark skinned? Ah, you must think that if one doesnt look as what you call "mulatto" then one cannot have that kind of admixture right? Wwow...i shouldnt be shocked at this ignorance that you just displayed but like I said its entertaining...please expound on this....if you can......
I know there are black Latinos in NYC tons of them, as I said my Latino friend used to live in Washington Heights so I know what the whole situation in Washington Heights is pertaining to the divide of Harlem.

Okay if you from the N.O. my fault, I just looked at your profile and didn't take your location(NYC) in your profile with a grain of salt.Although you come off like one of those arrogant New Yorkers, I should of guessed better.

I am not saying you don't have a great grandparent thats Cape Verdian its just strange that you claim you have Cape Verdian ancestry and so ignorant on how they perceive race.

And I never said to in order to be African you have to be dark skinned , I just not know many Africans and if you look mixed remotely they dont consider you a full blood African and are considered white sometimes by their standards specifically if you are mulatto.I've seen this racial projections like that by Nigerians.




Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
You had a Latino that iused to live in the Heights and never called it Harlem? I own an apartment in Harlem, and never heard anyone who lived in the Wash Heights section deny they live in Harlem.....The only cultural issue is taht you and the other guy claim to know stuff you dont. And when questioned where you get you info from you start talking about right wing media and heresay. But what do I know...I just live there part of the year; you actually had a Latino there. So it doesnt matter that we both lived there you had the Latino...lmao.
Not only did my Latino friend live there I hanged there sometimes too, and even had another Dominican chick I messed with there. And she made the distinction of going in the Heights as opposed to when she would go to East Harlem.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
And how does this guy know Im african american?? if you see a black person from america that doesnt mean they are african american...i mean thay have dark skinned latinos in the US....they have blacks who are from the caribbean....but the ignorance of yours and Prizewinners statements is on dispaly....i speak fluent portuguese and about half the cariocas here in Rio think im brazilian....i mean, i speak fench so i can to cameroon and fit in, haiti, benin, congo niger, senegal....so you dont know what I am bro. I ****ing speak spanish....thats how me and my daughters mother (who is from Santiago DR) met...she thought I was Dominican.why? Cause they have dark dominicans and I have very wavy hair? The fact that you probably think every black person in america is Afro-American says so much about you and your level of ignorance. Have you been to the US and spent time in her diverse cities? Where are you again??...

You too need to unpack whatever baggage you have as it pertains to Sfro Americans so as I stated to the other guy, we can do that....
Bro stop going off on a tangeant, I never made a statement of what Afro Americans,Dominicans or any other people are supposed to look like.

I just find it funny you are misconstruing reality and also not understanding of the politics for countries like Haiti and Dominican Republic.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 11-08-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 AM
 
Location: London, UK
2,899 posts, read 1,583,155 times
Reputation: 1642
Is it really that important whether Washington Heights is considered Harlem?

Heck I live between Brixton and Clapham, sometimes I'm Brixton sometimes I'm Clapham depending on who you talk to. Does it really matter that much that we should have like 10 posts about it on a Dominican-Haiti border subject thread and an ongoing fiery feud? We're all human guys, why not be kinder to each other, as the good people say in Colombia "it doesn't cost anything to be nice". That's my hippy speech over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 AM
 
390 posts, read 119,253 times
Reputation: 173
Man, you don't know what you are talking about.
Dominicans' concerns are authentic, and they don't want millions of Haitians with machetes as happened in the past,
Not racist or xenophobic, just reality.
Are Haitians evil or bad people?.. of course not, but when you have millions crowding a small territory with no vegetation something is bound to happen.
Could you imagine that 20 million Venezuelans enter into Colombia? Colombia would have to remove the cause to avoid destruction.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 11-08-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,017 posts, read 1,991,218 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
Man, you don't know what you are talking about.
Dominicans' concerns are authentic, and they don't want millions of Haitians with machetes as happened in the past,
Not racist or xenophobic, just reality.
Are Haitians evil or bad people?.. of course not, but when you have millions crowding a small territory with no vegetation something is bound to happen.
Could you imagine that 20 million Venezuelans enter into Colombia? Colombia would have to remove the cause to avoid destruction.
Clearly, transplanting the entire population of Venezuela into Colombia would be a disaster. Same goes for Haitians to the DR. But I have to say that when I think of Haitians and machetes, this comes to mind a lot faster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley_massacre

Racism and xenophobia is in play, it´s on the table. It´s the elephant in the room. That doesn´t change your point that yes, we can´t let them all in. I´ll say for the third time that Haitians who are law-abiding, have been there for generations, are in mixed marriages with Dominicans, etc. should be allowed citizenship. Most countries allow citizenship by naturalization. Maybe the naturalized foreigner loses their original passport, fine, but it´s a clear path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top