U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 AM

75 posts, read 15,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I can tell you for a fact that the US Embassy in Santo Domingo is not very happy with the encroachment of China in the DR. The previous Chinese representative in the DR even made fun of the US on national television, laughing at the US and everything. Also US representatives had made offers on several Dominican projects after China made its offers, even publicly denouncing the Chinese.

In some ways it is quite funny. In any case, as China encroaches even more on the DR, the US will continue to show its displeasure. Already the US treatment of the DR has changed, something that is evident to anyone putting attention. The DR now has an embassy from China, something done I think last year. Chinese involvement is only going to get stronger and more brash against the Americans, if up until now the Chinese and American 'battle' is any indication.
Thats great, I rather China over the US. China's economy is better, remember who owes who. Also US is like a selfish bully, they police the world (who tf told them to do that anyway) all for their own benefit, they dont really care about the countries they "help", they just after resources like oil, gold, and maintaining power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 10:28 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,139,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Thats great, I rather China over the US. China's economy is better, remember who owes who. Also US is like a selfish bully, they police the world (who tf told them to do that anyway) all for their own benefit, they dont really care about the countries they "help", they just after resources like oil, gold, and maintaining power.
The biggest difference between the American and Chinese help is the first one always includes conditionality on which their monetary help depends on, while the Chinese simply do business and don't get involved with the politics of the place. The US has always been like that though, make the world more like it is in the USA. In the process they helped some places and really messed up other places. The political strings attached is always part of the negotiations from the USA.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
DR is first World compare to Haiti. Haiti is a crap hole. Nasty mud eating people. I feel for your people though. Maybe you can take your master's degree back to your hometown in Haiti and try to help your starving, disease ridden, smelly people out.
I don’t know why you let one person’s word affect so much. All anyone has to do is ask several Haitians in different parts of DR if the DR is different from their country of birth and how much. The answer will come straight from their lips. That is all that is needed.

If you need the obvious, ask where do they live a better life and how much better. You know what the answer is going to be, but if you need it straight from the horses mouth so to speak... Where do they think that their kids have a better future...

Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 PM

24,396 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Sorry, your wrong. Haitians are more related to Black Americans. Dominicans's brothers are the Puerto Ricans and Cubans
I’m an only child who only cares for himself and certainly not for people on any broke island. I have no connection to any island.

And I a duel citizen. American and Spanish.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I don’t know why you let one person’s word affect so much. All anyone has to do is ask several Haitians in different parts of DR if the DR is different from their country of birth and how much. The answer will come straight from their lips. That is all that is needed.

If you need the obvious, ask where do they live a better life and how much better. You know what the answer is going to be, but if you need it straight from the horses mouth so to speak... Where do they think that their kids have a better future...
We’re both from NYC. He went to CUNY, a lowly ranked rock bottom state school. I have two Ivy League degrees. He lives in the Bronx, full of poverty and crime. I live in sunny Spain.

In short he is jealous.

We’ve posted on the same forum for years.

Outside the US he has access to the DR while I have the entire EU.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM

The Dominican Republic was a place where most people lived in wooden homes with thatch roofs and dirt floors. It was common to see kids with a bulging stomach enlarged due to malnutrition. Whomever had a television was few and the entire neighborhood went to those houses to see the novelas. Running water in the home for most of the population was unheard of and the girls had to go to the nearest river to get the water from the day. Washing clothes was mostly done in a river by the women. Something as simple as a toilet paper was unheard if for a good chunk of the population. Those that had access to it often was a bad quality one that disintegrated while they still had it on their hands. Going to the doctor was not a widespread practice. Most of the population lived in rural areas. Cooking in open air pits known as fogón was the norm. It was the poorest Spanish-speaking country in the world. Even the “major cities” was medium towns and to this day most people refer to the cities as ‘pueblos’ which means town in Spanish. Foreign people was a rarity and even the capital was a sleepy place with no traffic jams and few traffic lights. Something as simple as going to Santiago from Santo Domingo took 3 hours on the Duarte Highway, which was mostly a two lane road (one lane heading north and another lane heading south). I still remember when that road was widen and the number of houses on the side that were marked to be destroyed, and that was in the middle of the 1990s. The country had two airports, one in Santo Domingo and one in Puerto plata, but Santo Domingo was the main airport by a long shot. No one heard of Punta Cana because it used to take 5 hours on a two lane road and there was nothing there, just a jungle and a deserted beautiful beach. That’s basically it. Not even telephone lines extended that far. Higüey was a small and dusty town with most buildings being houses made of wood and dirt floors.

Now it has completely changed. The weird thing is that it wasn’t too long ago that the country was dominated by what I said and more. Plenty of people are still alive and they will tell anyone how things was a short decades ago not because they read it in a book, but because they lived it. These folks aren’t mostly ‘old people’ either.

Going to places like Puerto Rico or the USA was for the few and the places was gleaming compared to the DR. It was easy to tell who lived in those places. Now its different. People that travel don’t have the “brillo” that they used to and few things are now impressive, mostly because the DR has change so much in such short years.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-29-2019 at 06:45 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 07:08 AM

5,524 posts, read 17,755,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
We’re both from NYC. He went to CUNY, a lowly ranked rock bottom state school. I have two Ivy League degrees. He lives in the Bronx, full of poverty and crime. I live in sunny Spain.

In short he is jealous.

We’ve posted on the same forum for years.

Outside the US he has access to the DR while I have the entire EU.
Yes the above is true my friend. The only thing you forgot to mention was that you are still unemployed. You went to an IVY league school for a useless liberal arts degree, while I have a degree in the sciences. This is what frustrates you. The only reason you left the states was because you couldn't find a job lol

You're probably working in a gay bar in Spain or something.

Yes we go way back though. Don't take it personal.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yes the above is true my friend. The only thing you forgot to mention was that you are still unemployed. You went to an IVY league school for a useless liberal arts degree, while I have a degree in the sciences. This is what frustrates you. The only reason you left the states was because you couldn't find a job lol

You're probably working in a gay bar in Spain or something.

Yes we go way back though. Don't take it personal.
Very well employed.

Ivy graduates have no problem getting jobs anywhere in the world. BA from Cornell, MA from Columbia.

People with access to real money and real education have no problem finding jobs in business’s

Continue turning green with envy, my friend.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The Dominican Republic was a place where most people lived in wooden homes with thatch roofs and dirt floors. It was common to see kids with a bulging stomach enlarged due to malnutrition. Whomever had a television was few and the entire neighborhood went to those houses to see the novelas. Running water in the home for most of the population was unheard of and the girls had to go to the nearest river to get the water from the day. Washing clothes was mostly done in a river by the women. Something as simple as a toilet paper was unheard if for a good chunk of the population. Those that had access to it often was a bad quality one that disintegrated while they still had it on their hands. Going to the doctor was not a widespread practice. Most of the population lived in rural areas. Cooking in open air pits known as fogón was the norm. It was the poorest Spanish-speaking country in the world. Even the “major cities” was medium towns and to this day most people refer to the cities as ‘pueblos’ which means town in Spanish. Foreign people was a rarity and even the capital was a sleepy place with no traffic jams and few traffic lights. Something as simple as going to Santiago from Santo Domingo took 3 hours on the Duarte Highway, which was mostly a two lane road (one lane heading north and another lane heading south). I still remember when that road was widen and the number of houses on the side that were marked to be destroyed, and that was in the middle of the 1990s. The country had two airports, one in Santo Domingo and one in Puerto plata, but Santo Domingo was the main airport by a long shot. No one heard of Punta Cana because it used to take 5 hours on a two lane road and there was nothing there, just a jungle and a deserted beautiful beach. That’s basically it. Not even telephone lines extended that far. Higüey was a small and dusty town with most buildings being houses made of wood and dirt floors.

Now it has completely changed. The weird thing is that it wasn’t too long ago that the country was dominated by what I said and more. Plenty of people are still alive and they will tell anyone how things was a short decades ago not because they read it in a book, but because they lived it. These folks aren’t mostly ‘old people’ either.

Going to places like Puerto Rico or the USA was for the few and the places was gleaming compared to the DR. It was easy to tell who lived in those places. Now its different. People that travel don’t have the “brillo” that they used to and few things are now impressive, mostly because the DR has change so much in such short years.
I have not been in three years to Santo Domingo. But while I wa there I saw signs of the government giving tax credits to investors of real estate. You had gentrification in Zona Colonial. This is true in other Latin Americans cities too. I saw it personally in Bogota, and Mexico City.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Dominicans are very numerous in 3 main airports in the DR: Santiago where are over 90% of passengers, Santo Domingo which are around 60%, and Puerto Plata where they are around 50%.

To those three airports flights originating in NYC, Newark, Boston, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Panamá City, San Juan, and Madrid are either full or have a very sizable of Dominican passengers. There are no flights from those three airports to Chile, Argentina, Uruguay; but there are flights from Perú, México, Costa Rica, Venezuela, and Colombia. Cuba, Puerto Rico, and a handful of islands in the Lesser Antilles also have flights there, especially to Santo Domingo. There are a few other countries in Europe, but Dominicans in sizable numbers are seen in the Air France flight to Paris, everywhere else not so much.

I will tell you an anecdote. One time I was flying via Jetblue from NY JFK to Santiago (now I remember that the DR was the first place outside of the US that Jetblue began its international flights. I think I had something to do with that because one time I was heading to Florida and the head of the company seated right next to me). I was a little late due to unforeseen traffic, but I noticed that the vast majority of the passengers in line were blacks. I thought to myself that something was up because it definitely didn’t look like any NY flight that I have done to Puerto Plata, Santiago, and Santo Domingo. When I reach the check in counter, it turns out the stewardess was about to close the flight to Santiago because most of the people already checked in. I was surrounded by people that were going to Kingston, Jamaica!!! When I reach the gate and notice the kaleidoscope of colors, facial features, and people speaking Spanish with a Dominican accent I was literally relieved. lol

There was another time that literally a flight to Ponce, PR was across the hallway from the Santiago, DR flight. Many people stared at each other separated by a hallway.

Another time every single flight was heading to every airport to Hispaniola, including Port-au-Price, Haiti. Literally the flight to Haiti was the blackest, the flight to Punta Cana was the whitest and both very uniform, then the flights to Santo Domingo and Santiago had the typical kaleidoscope of colors and features. It was surreal. I noticed these things but simply looked around and remain shut about it. I’m sure other people notice this too, because it was so obvious and only a hallway separated each group, though some groups were literally side by side. I bet people don’t clap when landing in Punta Cana while flights full of Dominicans always clap when landing. I have noticed this in a few other latino flights in several countries in Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or