U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-01-2019, 02:47 PM
 
5,459 posts, read 8,139,984 times
Reputation: 4312

Advertisements

The DR is very nationalists because the people are like that, but what is happening now with immigration is simply beyond the wishes of Dominicans. By the looks of things, its going to get worst. Already 30% of all new borns in public hospitals are Haitian babies. Many women are crossed over the border to give birth and then don't leave. For most Haitian women that's the first time they see a doctor during the pregnancy, often times complicating the birth process. The Dominican middle class pays for that and the situation is very much against Dominican public opinion.

This is something that is happening regardless what people think or are willing to do. Wait when they reach their adulthood. There are several organizations that pick up Haitian women in Haiti about to give birth and drop them in groups and leave them at the Dominican hospitals as far as Santo Domingo and Santiago, where the largest hospitals and maternities of the country are located.


Last edited by AntonioR; 08-01-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2019, 03:09 PM
 
450 posts, read 159,373 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The DR is very nationalists because the people are like that, but what is happening now with immigration is simply beyond the wishes of Dominicans. By the looks of things, its going to get worst. Already 30% of all new borns in public hospitals already are Haitian babies. Many women are crossed over the border to give birth and then don't leave. For most Haitian women that's the first time they see a doctor during there pregnancy, often times complicating the birth process. The Dominican middle class pays for that , very much against Dominican public opinion.

This is something that is happening regardless what people think or are willing to do. Wait when they reach their adulthood. There are several organizations that pick up Haitian women about to give birth and drop them in groups and leave them at the Dominican hospitals as far as Santo Domingo and Santiago.

But according to lots of Haitians Venezuela and Cuba are their "true " friends. and look the other way to the 100s of millions of dollars DR spends helping Haiti every year.
DR has built hospitals there, universities, Provide medial care for hundred of thousands Haitians.
at great economic cost. this is not a temporary help, is a permanent, ongoing thing, going on for decades.

In some hospitals 60% of the patients come from Haiti, 30% of all births in the country are from Haitians mothers!!!


And what does DR gets from Haiti and its friends in the CARICOM? Slander and a campaign of hate, accusations of racism.

then they wonder why lots of Dominicans have strong opinions about Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 03:19 PM
 
5,459 posts, read 8,139,984 times
Reputation: 4312
For many people the problem is the existence of the DR and the solution is to either destroy the DR or make the DR a copy of Haiti. The slander campaign of some will not end until one or both situations becomes a reality. That is the reason anything the DR does to help Haitians and/or Haiti is either ignored or means little. The Dominican population to them means very little.

I've met plenty of people that think like that. Some of these people don't even have a connection to Haiti or the DR. Just get on a plane and have a wonderful life somewhere like the US. A change of a channel or not visiting certain websites/threads is enough for the island to be out of mind and out of sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 03:49 PM
 
24,396 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Reputation: 9232
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Many Dominians are already learning English and becoming billingual, but spanish would remain the only official language and the main language used by far.

However, the erasure of our identity.... Yeaaaa that WONT happen. We wont allow it. Never met a Dominican who doesnt love their caribbean latino culture and mixed ancestry and other things that make a dominican 'Dominican'. Nearly the whole country is made up of fierce nationalists. We wont allow our country to disappear or change beyond recognition. Point blank
You love the DR so much you live in the United States and even talk like an American.

From what the DR and from what Dominican culture was in the 60s, itís already been erased. Of course Spanish remain the language of peopleís private lives, but English is already extremely in major business. Donít speak English and your future is not so good.

You guys are holding on to something that has already died. It died as soon as the DR remixed tourism and foreign investment were the keys to economic growth.

Money talks and you know what walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 PM
 
24,396 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Reputation: 9232
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Foreign capital had a HUGE influence in cancelling the influence of traditional local elites that for centuries controlled the country and blocked any attempt of anyone to tap that market. It took a lot of pressure from inside and outside to break the monopoly of certain local economic groups. Now the country is more balanced and no one is absolute lord of the island as before, even now politicians are forced to do their job and find concerted exist to the political crisis without trashing the country in the process.
So wealthy foreigners help a great deal in multiple ways, from what youíre telling me. As I suspected.

Nationalism is for tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 04:14 PM
 
75 posts, read 15,020 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You love the DR so much you live in the United States and even talk like an American.

From what the DR and from what Dominican culture was in the 60s, itís already been erased. Of course Spanish remain the language of peopleís private lives, but English is already extremely in major business. Donít speak English and your future is not so good.

You guys are holding on to something that has already died. It died as soon as the DR remixed tourism and foreign investment were the keys to economic growth.

Money talks and you know what walks.
How do you know where i live? Did I mention it, No.... Im half Dominican (and half Puerto Rican) , raised half my life in the Bronx NY and now living in San Cristobal DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.... Dont make dumb ass asumptions, I invest in my country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 04:21 PM
 
75 posts, read 15,020 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For many people the problem is the existence of the DR and the solution is to either destroy the DR or make the DR a copy of Haiti. The slander campaign of some will not end until one or both situations becomes a reality. That is the reason anything the DR does to help Haitians and/or Haiti is either ignored or means little. The Dominican population to them means very little.

I've met plenty of people that think like that. Some of these people don't even have a connection to Haiti or the DR. Just get on a plane and have a wonderful life somewhere like the US. A change of a channel or not visiting certain websites/threads is enough for the island to be out of mind and out of sight.
I know what you mean, Iwitnessed it myself. Its the blacks and liberals who speak like that. Ive heard (and seen on youtube) many liberal whites and pro-black American blacks promoting the Unification of DR with Haiti, and sprewing hatred and false information against Dominicans.

Usually when Dominicans defend their sovereignty, the American Blacks guilt trip us and say we hate ourselves and think we are "white" for not taking care of the Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 04:44 PM
 
301 posts, read 187,121 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
100 percent Blacks get Spanish citizenship after living here for two years if they are from the Western Sahara or Equatorial Guinea. Just as Latin Americans can get citizenship here for two years because they are former colonies. Ditto for residents of the Phillipines. Itís easier for people from former colonies to get citizenship in France, Portugal, Britain, and Belgium.

With this in mind nobody in Spain has a problem with my Spanish citizenship. I tell everyone I interact with Iím a citizen and itís through distant ancestry.

Lots of South Americans get Italian or Spanish ancestry through distant ancestors. I actually live in Europe and know Europe first hand, and donít have to imagine it or look from it on the outside.

I know who my father is. I know the genealogy very well of both sides of my heritage.

Hahahahaha

But they does not mean I put down being African American. I just benefited from having a particular ancestor.

Itís happened in other cases. My last name is a Jewish last name due to said ancestor abd st times that has helped me with work. The head of my department at Columbia was Jewish abd from my application he probably thought I was (said ancestor was, Iím not).
Yea but you are not from Western Sahara or Equatorial Guinea are you?


If you some how supposedly got Spanish citizenship they are not going to ever see you as Spaniard end of story and yes with the rise of far right movements in Europe you are going to see you fair share of it.Imagine it from the outside I know what its like there ,and the only reason you say don't look at it from the outside is because you probably don't go outside to see the things stirring up.

Your jewish ancestry is from like what your great great great grandfather, you got more of a right of return than having Spanish citizenship , if you can prove your Sephardic ancestry.Have you been going to the synagogue and enjoy your Shabbat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 03:31 AM
 
24,396 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Reputation: 9232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Yea but you are not from Western Sahara or Equatorial Guinea are you?


If you some how supposedly got Spanish citizenship they are not going to ever see you as Spaniard end of story and yes with the rise of far right movements in Europe you are going to see you fair share of it.Imagine it from the outside I know what its like there ,and the only reason you say don't look at it from the outside is because you probably don't go outside to see the things stirring up.

Your jewish ancestry is from like what your great great great grandfather, you got more of a right of return than having Spanish citizenship , if you can prove your Sephardic ancestry.Have you been going to the synagogue and enjoy your Shabbat?
I live here, so I know Spain from the inside. My Spanish citizenship is via my distant Jewish ancestry.

But as I pointed out there are many ways to get Spanish or whatever European citizenship.

Personally I love it here and the people are amazing. Iíve hooked up with hot Spanish hunks. About to get back to that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,854 posts, read 2,519,737 times
Reputation: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
facts do not back that claim, less than 1000 people a year become Dominican citizens. mostly are Cubans and Italians married to Dominicans, that have been liven int eh country for decades. not a number large enough to change the country.

And thats another misconception, DR is not THAT dependent on tourism as all the other islands.
tourism is about 11% of the national GDP. the reason tourism is important is because employs a lots of people (lost of them Haitians), but the country and its finances are not that dependent on tourism as most people think.
Tourism is a low revenue industry that keeps lots of people busy.
the real bulk of the Dominican economy is light industry with 32.2 percent to the country's GDP.

if you live in santo Domingo like the majority of the people in the country, months can go by without seeing one single tourist, you have to go to zona colonial to see one. Most Dominicans make their living without interacting with tourist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris...nican_Republic
Who told you that ALL the other islands are so dependent on tourism?

Do you know anything about the other islands? Perhaps if you did, you would know that in Trinidad & Tobago ,oil and natural gas account for about 40% of the nation’s GDP.

Tourism is only about 3% of the national GDP.
https://oxfordbusinessgroup.com/trin...o-2017/tourism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top