U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM
 
5,459 posts, read 8,139,984 times
Reputation: 4312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
i have lived in north America most of my life (legally) and for the first time ever i feel like i have to becareful about speaking spanish in public when i go out with my family. Its not that I care what people think, its just that i actually feel like i have to be on guard now.
It's kind of funny that you made sure your legal status is understood by all. LOL

Generally, most Dominicans know the US has a problem with mass shooting and racial issues. Mass shootings has become so common that it no longer shocks the American population. It's one of the arguments that not only Dominicans, but Hispanics in general use to counterattack any criticism that an American might make of a Latin American country. Generally, it's something that doesn't concerns Dominicans as a whole, in part because most of the shootings happen faraway from where they live in the US.

In a country like the DR this is just one more news to flip the page on any newspaper. Not something people think about or impacts their day-to-day living.

On top of it all is that the current shooter in El Paso, TX appears to be angry with illegals. Something that doesn't concerns directly most Dominicans that migrate. As far as I know, not a single Dominican was killed or injured or was in the vicinity of the current shooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2019, 01:13 PM
 
976 posts, read 254,978 times
Reputation: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
So does DR, so why has DR to give citizenship to Haitians because they where born there?
DR citizenship is by blood, not soil, just like in Europe, being born in Germany does not make you a German.
same thing with DR.

you finally understood

"If you do not have German parents, but are born within the borders of Germany, you qualify for citizenship by birth or by right of soil."


https://www.germany-visa.org/german-citizenship/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,940 posts, read 4,510,135 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
It's kind of funny that you made sure your legal status is understood by all. LOL

.
Its not funny at all considering it is an acusation and stereotype lobbied at us frequently. If dominicans feel perfectly fine apart and above other latinos, good for you.

whats funny nywriter jsut called dominicans idiots and you didn't reply to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,940 posts, read 4,510,135 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

On top of it all is that the current shooter in El Paso, TX appears to be angry with illegals. Something that doesn't concerns directly most Dominicans that migrate. As far as I know, not a single Dominican was killed or injured or was in the vicinity of the current shooter.
Dominicans don't have to worry about being viewed as illegals as the vast majority would jsut look like African Americans to most white Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,017 posts, read 1,991,218 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Dominicans don't have to worry about being viewed as illegals as the vast majority would jsut look like African Americans to most white Americans.
Careful! A lot of people will become enraged at that assertion. (though true)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM
 
24,396 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Reputation: 9232
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
It's kind of funny that you made sure your legal status is understood by all. LOL

Generally, most Dominicans know the US has a problem with mass shooting and racial issues. Mass shootings has become so common that it no longer shocks the American population. It's one of the arguments that not only Dominicans, but Hispanics in general use to counterattack any criticism that an American might make of a Latin American country. Generally, it's something that doesn't concerns Dominicans as a whole, in part because most of the shootings happen faraway from where they live in the US.

In a country like the DR this is just one more news to flip the page on any newspaper. Not something people think about or impacts their day-to-day living.

On top of it all is that the current shooter in El Paso, TX appears to be angry with illegals. Something that doesn't concerns directly most Dominicans that migrate. As far as I know, not a single Dominican was killed or injured or was in the vicinity of the current shooter.
He killed Latinos without knowing there legal status. I’m sure Dominicans who have family in the US are worried. A white nationalist is not going to ID Latinos or other people of color before killing them.

Even here in Spain people with no connection to the US are appalled. This is horrific news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 03:42 PM
 
24,396 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Reputation: 9232
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Careful! A lot of people will become enraged at that assertion. (though true)
Latinos who come from non predominantly Black countries have often asked me if Iím Dominican. That has happened to other African Americans, especially if they speak Spanish.

The DR is definitely the Blackest country in Latin America.

And as only 12 percent of Americans are Black, itís definitely way Blacker than the US, which is a predominantly white country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM
 
5,459 posts, read 8,139,984 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Its not funny at all considering it is an acusation and stereotype lobbied at us frequently. If dominicans feel perfectly fine apart and above other latinos, good for you.

whats funny nywriter jsut called dominicans idiots and you didn't reply to him.
It certainly is funny considering that I never question your status until you mention it.

I don’t read all of his posts, mostly because I know what he will say regarding a few topics. We heard this already for many years. Its really nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Dominicans don't have to worry about being viewed as illegals as the vast majority would jsut look like African Americans to most white Americans.
Maybe, but most Dominicans concentrate in only a few areas of the eastern US, where many people have heard of the DR. Elsewhere in the US not so much. Doesn’t changes the fact that it’s one of the Hispanic nationalities with less illegality and one of the Hispanic nationalities that naturalize as US citizens the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,940 posts, read 4,510,135 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post


Maybe, but most Dominicans concentrate in only a few areas of the eastern US, where many people have heard of the DR. Elsewhere in the US not so much. Doesn’t changes the fact that it’s one of the Hispanic nationalities with less illegality and one of the Hispanic nationalities that naturalize as US citizens the most.

Yes and it also doesn't change the fact the right wingers like Ann Coulter have called out Dominicans (with less illegality or not) for being one of the groups in nyc that get deported for break the law the most and for being the biggest Latino group to recieve welfare. So what is your point exactly? Do you think Dominicans are beloved by racist for having less illegality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM
 
5,459 posts, read 8,139,984 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes and it also doesn't change the fact the right wingers like Ann Coulter have called out Dominicans (with less illegality or not) for being one of the groups in nyc that get deported for break the law the most and for being the biggest Latino group to recieve welfare. So what is your point exactly? Do you think Dominicans are beloved by racist for having less illegality?
My point is that mass shootings targeted to Hispanics that are illegals is a non-issue for most Dominicans. What happen the other day in Texas is a blimp in most Dominicans lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top