U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 PM

215 posts, read 301,934 times

Advertisements

I get why the DR gets a lot of flack- they're not very PC in terms of their relationship with Haiti. But none the less, I admire how many people the country took in after the disaster, and the recent surge in Venezuelans. The DR is not perfect, but I feel the they're a microcosm of the overpopulation we're experiencing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:15 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,137,017 times
In general, very few places outside of a handful of countries are PC (for now). Whenever anyone goes south of the US, you ask the locals about anything and people tell you exactly what they think or they don’t say nothing at all. They might get offended that you got offended by what they said. It’s almost like asking why you asked for their thought on a subject in the first place if you were clearly not ready for any results.

In the US there are many topics you have to figure out what someone means because they are either walking on eggshells or saying something that is completely different from what they said, and the listener is expected to know what is being said in reality (not word for word) vs what is actually said. Even the questions will often have a hidden meaning that those answering are expected to know but not mention. There are also some things a person may not say while someone else is allowed to say based on personal characteristics or circumstance.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:29 AM

24,388 posts, read 17,815,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Antonio is right, Dominicans dont care about any of that, they are not pschologially invested in US drama.
most of them are more concerned about whats going on in the island than here. I tried to explain that before, they are here temporarily and they dont get too invested. Maybe 3rd generation Dominicans, but can we even call them Dominicans at that point?
I knew a lot of Dominicans who were being gentrified out of places like Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, East Harlem. They weren´t happy about it at all, and yes they were very much caught up in the fact that they did not have access to the same jobs as the newly arriving white residents who were displacing them. Ditto for Dominicans on the Lower East Side.

Not to mention the fact many of them have been beaten by the police and locked up for drugs, while white New Yorkers almost never have problems with the police for drugs.

You guys are just outright LIARS and paint a very FALSE information of Dominican neighborhoods in the US. I actually LIVED in a heavily Dominican neighborhood (Hamilton Heights) while I was a graduate student in Columbia. I socially hung out in bars on the Lower East Side, which has many Latinos including Dominicans. I was born in another NYC neighborhood, Jackson Heights which had many Latinos, including Dominicans.

I saw the issues first hand, and I saw Latino activists, including Dominicans fight injustice.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:31 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ice-depor...gin-nationwide

NYC itself has ICE raids and of course Dominicans would be caught up in them. Also any Dominican on sort of visa or who does not yet have citizenship, if they get convicted are at a big risk for DEPORTATION. And the NYPD targets darker people as they are seen to be more likely to be FOREIGNERS/immigrants.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,516,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
My point is that mass shootings targeted to Hispanics that are illegals is a non-issue for most Dominicans. What happen the other day in Texas is a blimp in most Dominicans lives.
Ok but just because Dominicans didn’t become victims of mass shootings doesn’t mean everyone loves them either.

They are still lumped in with other Latinos and even with blacks.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:49 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,516,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Antonio is right, Dominicans dont care about any of that, they are not pschologially invested in US drama.
most of them are more concerned about whats going on in the island than here. I tried to explain that before, they are here temporarily and they dont get too invested. Maybe 3rd generation Dominicans, but can we even call them Dominicans at that point?
I live in a very Dominican city in the US and most choose to stay, even after saving enough to live a comfortable life here. I don’t think that many have the desire to go back.

And yes I would consider third generation Dominicans to still be “Dominican.” Italians and the Irish do the same

Old 08-12-2019, 07:55 AM

450 posts, read 159,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I knew a lot of Dominicans who were being gentrified out of places like Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, East Harlem. They weren´t happy about it at all, and yes they were very much caught up in the fact that they did not have access to the same jobs as the newly arriving white residents who were displacing them. Ditto for Dominicans on the Lower East Side.

Not to mention the fact many of them have been beaten by the police and locked up for drugs, while white New Yorkers almost never have problems with the police for drugs.

You guys are just outright LIARS and paint a very FALSE information of Dominican neighborhoods in the US. I actually LIVED in a heavily Dominican neighborhood (Hamilton Heights) while I was a graduate student in Columbia. I socially hung out in bars on the Lower East Side, which has many Latinos including Dominicans. I was born in another NYC neighborhood, Jackson Heights which had many Latinos, including Dominicans.

I saw the issues first hand, and I saw Latino activists, including Dominicans fight injustice.

thats a bunch of BS, Dominicans are desperate, waiting for their landlords to offer a buy out. are you crazy?
they want to leave the area, Dominicans are leaving NYC and they would like to do it with a bunch of cash at hand. Not happy? you really have no idea how dominicans work.

Dominicans do not have an attachment with Washington heights or the lower east side at all, they just want the cash to move to Florida or something. why? as i alreay said, dominicans do not seen themselves as living here permanently.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,137,017 times
I always wonder why there is a statue of Juan Pablo Duarte on Canal St when the Dominicans congregate in other areas of NYC. Granted that there are many Dominicans living in the most expensive parts of New York City and its most sought after suburbs, but generally the class divide that exist in the DR is also replicated elsewhere Dominicans are found. New York City is one of those places. While there is now much more social class movement among Dominicans on the island, especially with families that were poor and now are lower middle class, a person can tell the geographic origin and the social class (either where the person is in or was born into) of a Dominican by the accent alone. Anyone that has met Dominicans from different geographic and class origins would immediately recognize these things even if their eyes was blocked or closed. Also NYC is very popular with all types of Dominicans. Dominicans with means in the DR will go to NYC as its a neighboring town with multiple visits a year, despite they live in the DR. I know people that make the trip on a monthly basis. Its really no big deal.

Isn't the DR the most popular destination from JFK? I think I heard or read somewhere that more flights head for the DR from JFK in NYC than to any other country in the world.

The square has his name too.

How fitting that next door they had a nursery of tropical trees during NYC summers. How fitting. lol Those trees were most likely shipped from Southern Florida. I always wonder what they do with them during the winter, especially the smaller species. I have seen this done in other major cities such as in Paris, France. At least palm trees that can't grow there are seen outside in the summer time.

The pedestal can't be clearly seen, but it says in English that he is the founder of the Dominican Republic.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-12-2019 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
thats a bunch of BS, Dominicans are desperate, waiting for their landlords to offer a buy out. are you crazy?
they want to leave the area, Dominicans are leaving NYC and they would like to do it with a bunch of cash at hand. Not happy? you really have no idea how dominicans work.

Dominicans do not have an attachment with Washington heights or the lower east side at all, they just want the cash to move to Florida or something. why? as i alreay said, dominicans do not seen themselves as living here permanently.
Many of the Dominicans who move out of Washington Heights move to other places in the NYC area. Those that move up socioeconomically will move to suburbs or buildings where they can
Have a car.

Are you even Dominican or Dominican American? You know nothing about NYC Dominicans. There are many that will never move to Florida.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 AM

450 posts, read 159,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Many of the Dominicans who move out of Washington Heights move to other places in the NYC area. Those that move up socioeconomically will move to suburbs or buildings where they can
Have a car.

Are you even Dominican or Dominican American? You know nothing about NYC Dominicans. There are many that will never move to Florida.
Thats not happening, most dominicans leave the state when moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or