Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,120,155 times

Advertisements

Not sure what race has to do with anything. Either the D.R. can handle and will permit the illegal immigration from Haiti or it will not. The answer is obviously NO, so it can take whatever humane measures necessary to stop the illegal immigration.

However, it should expect the rest of the islands to do the same. There are illegal Dominicans all over the Caribbean that bring higher crime and prostitution. They should be sent back home, just as the D.R. does Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:20 AM

12,188 posts, read 7,148,062 times
They are a sovereign nation. They have a right to secure their borders.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:24 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,007,246 times
I´m not Colombian, but alright.

And yeah, racism is a big problem here also. I´ve always gone out of my way to try to help Venezuelans here in need, trying to escape such a horrific situation back home. My city doesn´t have too many Afro Colombian migrants, but it´s obvious that many people don´t welcome them here.

I suppose you´re from the States like me? Our country has a long history of racism and a recent revival of xenophobia. It doesn´t make us bad people. Being racist and wanting to expel people based solely on their nationality does though. It´s all up the individual, really.

Last edited by aab7855; 11-02-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM

453 posts, read 314,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooveysmoove View Post
Racially, the Dominican Republic is about 10% black, 10% white, and 80% mulatto, while Haiti is nearly 98% black. And basically what the Mexicans are trying to do to USA, "reconquer by mass immigration", is the same thing that Haiti is trying to do to the DR. Not only that but the vast majority of immigrants are illegal, illegal immigration is never good, they drive up the already high crime rate even more, bring diseases and prostitution. And are obviously unwanted by the majority of Dominican society, why try to come to a place you not wanted. The flow of migration is too high, with most of them coming for no good reason, they flee a hellhole to try to make another country a hellhole. Im Dominican American and I think my country should build a border wall like the USA, except our country's border is much smaller so it would be easier. What do you think?

I doubt you are Dominican as you claim, and if you are you havent lived in DR ever.
this is only another fake post to incite confrontation.
Hatians dont want to "reconquer by mass immigration" as you claim, they are just poor migrant workers.
The racism of this post is disgusting.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hmm.. It is ironic that Dominicans from the Cibao hardly migrate to Puerto Rico. The ones that do are mostly from other parts of the DR. Basically anyone that is familiar with the DR knows this.

There are forums online where Americans and Europeans that live in various parts of the DR not for “4 weeks” but for years share their experiences. I find it interesting that their general consensus is diametrically different from what you claim to experience in “4 weeks.” I still can´t get my head wrapped around something so basic as Dominicans from the Cibao hardly migrate to Puerto Rico legally or illegally and you didn´t seem to notice this. Dominicans from the Cibao fly through their own airports when leaving the island and somehow flights to Puerto Rico from those airports are quite scarce. By contrasts, flights to NY are a dime a dozen and those flights are mostly packed with Dominicans.

How can someone spend all their time in a region with the weakest connections to Puerto Rico, yet meet enough people that live in Puerto Rico illegally to be able to generalize on the entire Dominican population.

Spain has the second or third largest Dominican migrant community in the world and Dominicans born there to Dominican parents don´t get Spanish citizenship either. I do wonder why Dominicans there have no problem with that and register their Spain-born children as Dominican citizens. I assume Dominicans in the US would react the same way as their countrymen that live in Spain. The same happens with the small Dominican community in Italy.

There is also a tiny Dominican community in Haiti too, but in Haiti the only way to gain Haitian citizenship upon birth is by having at least one Haitian father or mother. Anyone born to foreign parents in Haiti gain the citizenship of their parents. Unlike Dominican law, which gives full Dominican citizenship to any child born to legal migrants, in Haiti it doesn´t matter if the foreign couple is legal or illegal. No Haitian blood means no Haitian citizenship upon birth.

Haiti is actually a very normal country when it comes to this. A minority of countries are like the USA (automatic citizenship simply for being born there) and a minority also give full citizenship to the children of legal immigrants but negates it to those of illegal immigrants. The key is to migrate legally.

I don´t see what this has to do with anything. You can´t go around imposing US labels in other countries that have completely different historic and cultural origins. The US spent a good part of its history imposing itself on other societies and because of that gained the label of imperialism. That the imperialists often are whites from stronger and richer countries is something that doesn´t remain unnoticed. Its a very self-righteaous way to live life, perhaps a part of what some call white privilege. The good thing about Americans is that practically there is no acceptance of other societies labels. That is fine, the US is a country with its own culture, traditions, and history. Why should Americans accept foreign impositions in their own country?

Are you aware that in Haiti the mulattoes are seen as different from the blacks? Haiti has a tradition of ethnic based political parties (something that never existed in Dominican politics), where the evidence of racial admixture or the lack of such was a close predictor of what political party a person was likely to support. The usual divisions was the mulatto-black dychotomy. Mulatto presidents tended to favor policies that benefitted the Haitian mulattoes, while black presidents did the same for the blacks. Now, you can go to Haiti and impose all the American labels that you want, but that means nothing in a country that has little to nothing to do with the USA.

The other ironic aspect in all of this is that its very easy to search various genetic studies that are posted in scientific journals where reality is widely on display regarding many peoples, the Dominicans among them.

Most Haitians presidents come form he mulatto class, and they tend to be from the southern part of Haiti where the mulatto minority lives. Black Americans also have imperialist tendencies just as whites, explicitly when imposing their own vision of blackness disregarding local history and culture. Americans cultural myopic imposition of values and historical perspectives is not only a white thing.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,007,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not sure what race has to do with anything. Either the D.R. can handle and will permit the illegal immigration from Haiti or it will not. The answer is obviously NO, so it can take whatever humane measures necessary to stop the illegal immigration.

However, it should expect the rest of the islands to do the same. There are illegal Dominicans all over the Caribbean that bring higher crime and prostitution. They should be sent back home, just as the D.R. does Haitians.
You underestimate the resurgence of the Dominican economy. It´s gotten to the point where even Puerto Ricans are migrating there looking for opportunities.

Back in 2006 when unemployment was much higher, I couldn´t find a single Dominican swinging a sledgehammer to the sidewalk on the streets of Puerto Plata. The macheteros in the canefields were all Haitians too. If any Dominicans are upset with that, they can always jump right in and take advantage of such opportunities if need be.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:45 AM

1,153 posts, read 625,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post

Yup. It's up to each country in the Americas to handle their own immigration matters.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,200,556 times
Absolutely a wall must go up. Countries have borders that must be protected from invasion. Laws governing who gets to cross borders must be enforced. Its a national security threat and endangers citizens of your country to leave borders unprotected and open.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM

1,153 posts, read 625,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
I doubt you are Dominican as you claim, and if you are you havent lived in DR ever.
this is only another fake post to incite confrontation.
Hatians dont want to "reconquer by mass immigration" as you claim, they are just poor migrant workers.
The racism of this post is disgusting.
Probably an alt account doing a "Poe's Law" portrayal of how people think Dominicans feel on the issue.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Probably an alt account doing a "Poe's Law" portrayal of how people think Dominicans feel on the issue.
Completely, this representation is cartoonist, no Dominican has such a simple, empty, childish characterization of the Haitian issue. this is like a bunch of american talking points forcefully applied to the Haitian-DR issue as if the author though the two circumstances are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas