U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Mexico City or Santiago De Chile to live abroad (learn Spanish and work)
Mexico City 10 43.48%
Santiago De Chile 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Clifton, Cincinnati
124 posts, read 61,970 times
Reputation: 161

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I see what you’re saying, but at the same time I’m not sure that something like that ends up having that much of an impact on the QOL of country’s residents.

Chile generally speaking I think has QOL advantage over Brazil which seems to really have major issues to sort out. And, while this may not be the best example, Scandinavian countries like Copenhagen/Denmark, Finland/Helsinki, etc, all have very high capital-national ratios yet people outside still have high standard of life.

I suppose there are certainly advantages, if you have multiple economic hubs that is generally good, but perhaps what some of these other places have is a certain economies of scale that helps commerce, governance, communicate more effectively and less corruptly.

That said, Brazil’s ability to have multiple major centers is why it and not Mexico is the largest economy in the LatAm region.
Oh I agree completely. Chile is really on a different level than Brazil when it comes to development, social issues such as inequality and crime. The list goes on.

I am a bigger fan of places like Argentina and Chile versus Brazil, but I also like the idea of having larger cities scattered around which can make a place more interesting. Travel, commerce, infrastructure, if connected well, can make a country an appealing place if there are more than one major city. Countries like Mexico, Chile or Argentina have some great smaller cities, but cities that have a bigger impact like Rio and Sao Paulo have a completely different feel to them and add immensely to the character of Southeastern Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
You taking Mexico's overall GDP and dividing on an per capita basis has no relevance nor does it refute the fact that Mexico City is a global center.

Mexico is ranked at the same level as Los Angeles, Chicago, Madrid, Milan, and Toronto according to the Global and World Cities Research Network 2018 data.

Los Angeles, Madrid, Milan and Toronto attract numerous immigrants which is an important features of being a global city. If MC is a "global city" with a "tremendous amount of wealth" as you claim, then you'd expect to see numerous immigrants heading there, specially from neighboring Central American countries who are notoriously desperate to leave their homelands. Having a common language, and a very similar culture and a reasonable distance would only make it a logic choice.

Yet, Mexico seems to be to Central Americans what the Yellow brick road is to Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz: a mere path to some land of wonders (note that I'm not American and don't have particular appreciation for the country). Most rather go home than settle there if they can't make it to the US. In fact, there are more Central Americans in faraway tiny Spain than in big Mexico.
How do you explain the lack of love for the Mexican global city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 AM
 
251 posts, read 189,863 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Los Angeles, Madrid, Milan and Toronto attract numerous immigrants which is an important features of being a global city. If MC is a "global city" with a "tremendous amount of wealth" as you claim, then you'd expect to see numerous immigrants heading there, specially from neighboring Central American countries who are notoriously desperate to leave their homelands. Having a common language, and a very similar culture and a reasonable distance would only make it a logic choice.

Yet, Mexico seems to be to Central Americans what the Yellow brick road is to Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz: a mere path to some land of wonders (note that I'm not American and don't have particular appreciation for the country). Most rather go home than settle there if they can't make it to the US. In fact, there are more Central Americans in faraway tiny Spain than in big Mexico.
How do you explain the lack of love for the Mexican global city?
Mexico City does attract immigrants but not to the degree that New York or Los Angeles or Buenos Aires have.

Most of Mexico City's explosive growth from the 1930's to the 1990's was due to large scale internal migration from rural areas or smaller towns to the capital. Mexico City is not a magnet for Central American migrants because the wealth gap is no better than their home country.

Yes, Mexico City is extremely wealthy, but that wealth does not equate to vast employment opportunities for most of it's inhabitants. Again, this has to do the tremendous inequality along side several other factors (monopolies, corruption, low wages, weak labor unions, exploitation of labor, etc). Sadly, a result of this is the jarring fact that nearly half the work force in the metropolitan area works in the informal economy (!!!!!)

The US and Canada do not have as high a gini coefficient as Mexico (the US isn't there just yet ) and both countries have stronger institutions to enforce laws and ensure safety of their citizens. Mexico has weak institutions and therefore weak rule of law.

Some images below of the distressing level of inequality in Mexico City:





















Last edited by sf_arkitect; 12-14-2018 at 02:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 02:33 AM
 
251 posts, read 189,863 times
Reputation: 229
Some more images of Mexico City's rich vs poor:







Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 08:12 PM
 
731 posts, read 1,187,492 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Los Angeles, Madrid, Milan and Toronto attract numerous immigrants which is an important features of being a global city. If MC is a "global city" with a "tremendous amount of wealth" as you claim, then you'd expect to see numerous immigrants heading there, specially from neighboring Central American countries who are notoriously desperate to leave their homelands. Having a common language, and a very similar culture and a reasonable distance would only make it a logic choice.

Yet, Mexico seems to be to Central Americans what the Yellow brick road is to Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz: a mere path to some land of wonders (note that I'm not American and don't have particular appreciation for the country). Most rather go home than settle there if they can't make it to the US. In fact, there are more Central Americans in faraway tiny Spain than in big Mexico.
How do you explain the lack of love for the Mexican global city?
Do you have any proof of this or are you just making it up as you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 04:55 AM
 
3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
Reputation: 2505
I'd agree with the point you make also Sense of Place-particularly as a lover of travel, it is good to have a place with so many environments, personalities, etc., that it feels like it would take a while to figure the place out, and Brazil is definitely one of those kinds of places! Culturally too. I'd venture beyond what you said, places like Manaus, Salvador, etc. would have radically different feel too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)
 
5,170 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Reputation: 4264
Avenida Masaryk is the most luxurious shopping street in Latin America and one of the most luxurious in the Spanish-speaking world (it’s the second most spoken language in the world). Needless to say this is one of my most favorite avenues in Mexico City. Just strolling down its sidewalks is a pleasant experience.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2018, 03:45 PM
 
26,085 posts, read 28,484,501 times
Reputation: 24788
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but while I enjoyed Santiago reasonably well and could see myself going back, the depth of CDMX is incredible. Arguably the favorite city I've ever visited.
I haven't been to CDMX but I have been to Santiago. Based on what I've read it's one of the safer and more pleasant large metro areas in Latin America for everyday living. However, having visited there, it's kind of boring and lacks a lot of unique or interesting culture. I call it the San Jose of South America (after San Jose, CA, which is also pleasant but boring).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-16-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)
 
5,170 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Reputation: 4264
One of the world´s greatest archeological museums is in Mexico City.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
One of the world´s greatest archeological museums is in Mexico City.



This is probably one of the greatest museums in the Americas, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top