U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mexico City or Santiago De Chile to live abroad (learn Spanish and work)
Mexico City 10 43.48%
Santiago De Chile 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 PM

251 posts, read 189,863 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Some time ago I created a thread comparing CDMX to Buenos Aires, asking which of the 2 cities would be best for living / working in (with the goal of learning Spanish).

However, Santiago De Chile has recently caught my interest as a potential alternative.

I will conceded that I have often overlooked Chile in the past because I do not know much about the country.

Online I have briefly glossed over articles praising Chile for it's political/economic stability and progress in relation to the rest of Latin America.

With that said, would Santiago be a better option to live and work in over Mexico City (that is, if I can secure a job in an architecture firm in either city)?

I am still strongly considering CDMX primarily because of it's proximity to the US (close enough to visit family in southern California) and because I am of Mexican heritage (would like to learn more about my ancestry).

However, my qualms with CDMX are the safety and corruption of the country. Frankly, my Mexican born relatives who now live in California often describe Mexico as a sh*t hole, citing the corruption and violence that spreads through the country like a cancer as a serious reason to avoid living there.

I will be visiting CDMX in February for 2 weeks to get a sense of the city for myself but I would like to hear opinions about Santiago (particularly from those who have been to either CDMX or Santiago De Chile).

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 AM

18,459 posts, read 9,561,235 times
Santiago easily wins this imo. I have thought about living there or Vina del Mar on the coast of Chile to get better with my Spanish ability. MC is also doable and is nice in certain areas so you could definitely do the same in Mexico but I don't think you can get around the fact that high crime and corruption are very hard to avoid in Mexico but are not the norm in Chile.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:33 PM

731 posts, read 1,187,492 times
CDMX is relatively safe, especially in the areas you'd most likely be living in and exploring (Roma, Condesa, Juarez, Polanco, Coyoacan, Centro Historico, etc). I've been almost all over the city and have never had any issues, during the day and at night.

CDMX offers so much more than Santiago imo. You won't get the Andes but there are still nice mountain ranges around Mexico City, and amazing beaches just a cheap flight away. There's an endless amount of things to do there. I feel like Santiago would get boring sooner rather than later.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
CDMX is pretty much "more" in many ways than Santiago (apart from fact that Santiago does have wine and closer beaches and closer, even bigger mountains though CDMX has great mountains too)

CDMX is more crowded, more polluted, and perhaps has more safety issues, and more poverty, and more traffic.

However, CDMX also is more cosmopolitan, more historic, more artsy, has more attractions, nightlife/food options, transport options, educational options, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but while I enjoyed Santiago reasonably well and could see myself going back, the depth of CDMX is incredible. Arguably the favorite city I've ever visited.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:18 PM

713 posts, read 475,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Santiago easily wins this imo. I have thought about living there or Vina del Mar on the coast of Chile to get better with my Spanish ability. MC is also doable and is nice in certain areas so you could definitely do the same in Mexico but I don't think you can get around the fact that high crime and corruption are very hard to avoid in Mexico but are not the norm in Chile.

Not really. For one, both cities are somewhat in the same range of income, level of development, GDP per capita, etc.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Mexico City is a global city, the most important city in Spanish America and among the top 5 Spanish-speaking cities in the world.

As great as Santiago is, its nowhere near the level of Mexico City in importance. For that reason, Mexico City takes the cake.

The amount of culture available in Mexico City is unparalleled in any other Spanish-speaking city.

Another plus no one mentioned is that Mexico City is closer to the rest of the world (or at least to the parts of the world where Westerners are more likely to travel to) than Santiago.

Mexico City is a short plane ride away from truly gorgeous beaches on the Pacific and the Atlantic, plus the Caribbean isn’t that faraway. Easy plane ride to the best theme parks in the world (Orlando, Florida); and within easy reach of the USA.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,167 times
This almost seems like a draw. Both are worthy cities with lots of attractions. Mexico city is a cultural powerhouse in Latin America with a fascinating history. Santiago less so. But if you like new and fresh much of Santiago looks and feels prosperous and forward looking. Both cities have beautiful areas to explore around them. The Andes with Santiago and the smoking volcanoes around Mexico City and sites studded with Pre Columbian interest.

Maybe it will come down to Mexico City's air being of poor quality and your having a greater anxiety about crime. The situation has improved but it can be pretty scary at times outside of some central districts.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:03 PM

410 posts, read 182,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Mexico City is a global city, the most important city in Spanish America and among the top 5 Spanish-speaking cities in the world.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:44 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,001,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Are you disagreeing with the fact that Mexico City is a global city? I would think a claim like that would be hard to argue, despite the fact it is not that diverse. Economically, culturally, politically, environmentally, etc., it is very influential.

Is it as much of a global city as say New York City or London? No. But, considering, as the other poster mentioned it's probable standing as most important Spanish speaking city in the world perhaps only rivaled by Madrid but I think in terms of importance it has even there beat, it has to be up there (Top 20-and as a destination, in my opinion, it's Top 10, if not Top 5-maybe my favorite major city I've visited, and I've been all over)

Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 PM

251 posts, read 189,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Are you disagreeing with the fact that Mexico City is a global city? I would think a claim like that would be hard to argue, despite the fact it is not that diverse. Economically, culturally, politically, environmentally, etc., it is very influential.

Is it as much of a global city as say New York City or London? No. But, considering, as the other poster mentioned it's probable standing as most important Spanish speaking city in the world perhaps only rivaled by Madrid but I think in terms of importance it has even there beat, it has to be up there (Top 20-and as a destination, in my opinion, it's Top 10, if not Top 5-maybe my favorite major city I've visited, and I've been all over)
Even though I have not been to CDMX (will be visiting in February 2019 for 2 weeks as I mentioned earlier), I would I agree that is an accurate statement.

From what I have read, an enormous amount of Mexico's wealth and infrastructure development is solely focused on Mexico City....at the expense of the rest of the country.

Mexico City is ranked as a 3rd tier Global Alpha city (at the same level as Los Angeles, Chicago, Moscow, Frankfurt, and Melbourne, etc).

Because wealth and economic productivity are highly centralized within Mexico (with the lions share of power and resourced devoted to just one city), CDMX is the only Global Alpha city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or