U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:49 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,961,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
White People nowhere in the world care if someone is mixed, after they are racists against Black People they will hate all Blacks whether mixed or not.

Race is a social construct so definitions of race differ. In Latin America someone who is 70% white may want to call themselves "white" if they are light skinned and affluent, and yet deny a person who is 70% "black" the right to so identify. That is one extreme. The USA is another. Mixed in Latin America is often an escape hatch from a black identity, just as how many light skinned people whose non Euro ancestry is quite visible rush to embrace "whiteness".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9I6b1JEb2k

You will note that most of the conservatives here self identify as "white" yet deny the Afro Latina the right to that identity.

I doubt many non Latinos see "whites" in this video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Haitians if they can get to the US or Europe do so.

Theyíd be no issue had Spain been able to keep the entire island. Haitians also have mixed race people. The only difference is one nation is French speaking and one group is Spanish speaking.

And yet I am not sure that Dominicans living in Spain are totally embraced by the Spanish as being one of them.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If a people worry about what the whites think as a group, then I can see how the white group opinion becomes paramount. .

The DR gets loads of attention because we are curious about why a "mixed" nation let a man like Balaguer describe it as a "European Catholic" nation in his obsession to communicate to the world that its not like the "savage African" nation that exists next door. This in his infamous book written in 1989 (NOT 1939). Yes by 1989 we ought to have known better.

Cuba and Brazil aren't seen in that light.

And were there loud condemnations by Dominicans about the naked anti black bigotry that Balaguer used as the core of his campaign against?

This isn't to say that most Dominicans are racists, but it is to say that they seem to have a high threshold for tolerating racism. If being "black" is "bad" then being part black (which most Dominicans are) cannot be that "good"! And of course we now here that the "natural hair movement" seems to be viewed almost as a civil rights movement, with some who advocate it being seen as "militant".

THAT is why people speak so much of the DR. Cuba and Brazil have their issues, as do most post plantation societies in the Americas, but its in the DR where blatant bigotry seems to be allowed virtually unchallenged.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
A Louisiana Creole got upset when I asked her about being Black. She had claimed her ancestry was just French. Iíve met every Black Jamaicans who have denied ever having African slave ancestors.

And when these people pull off that delusional rant there are many others of their group to laugh at them.

In fact in Jamaica the whole black vs. brown thing is much talked about. You think that a Jamaican Prime Minister could have called that island a "white British island lying 90 miles from savage African Haiti". He would lose the election in a landslide.

I also urge you to ask continental Africans about certain ignorant AAs who displayed the same behavior towards them that one would expect from Trump. Yes even the "go back to your grass huts" thing. I suspect that those AAs who do this are embarrassed about any connection to black Africa.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Under certain contexts, one can use certain European ancestries to gain EU citizenship. I did that myself.

Nothing wrong with that.

But beyond that, no one gives a crap and you look plain stupid if you always desperately have to try say youíre mixed.

Don't you see a contradiction here? You get to Spain because of a possible mythology (you claim that you have documentary proof) that you have some Spanish ancestry. Did you make the same effort to go live in Ghana where people of African descent receive similar privileges if they wish to reside in that nation?

Apparently you make much of your European ancestors so why ridicule those who self identify as "mixed"?

Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM

5,345 posts, read 8,083,624 times
At least five posts one after the other in one page. My goodness. lol

Old 07-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In some people the Puerto Rican case is based on race, but most people that I have met appear to do it out of tradition more than anything else.

lol

Quit your nonsense. What you describe could just as easily have happened with Dominicans. In fact a Miss DR Universe contestant had to fight a virtual war to be allowed to wear her hair natural. If Dominicans didn't have bias why would that have been such a project?

Puerto Ricans perceive Dominicans to be darker and so think that they are better. Dominican elites carry the same attitudes to people from the rest of the Caribbean, not just Haitians. Look at the condescending attitudes towards CARICOM that we saw from certain posters here even as some of these islands (plus the VI and St. Maarten) are full of Dominicans flocking for a better life.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
You see many more white tourists and retirees in the Dominican Republic than AAs Dominican Repuic can say its number one in prostitution.

In fact Dominican prostitutes cater mainly to Euros and many even move to those countries to play their trade. People like exotic and that is where the demand for Dominican girls comes from. That plus the fact that this poor girls can be manipulated by these more affluent white and black tourists.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
lol We give your Haitian people jobs so they don't starve to death in Haiti. Haitians eat cookies made of dirt and fecal matter. ]
DR per capita income (nominal) $7,900 is virtually tied with St Vincent ($7,500) and is ahead of only Dominica and Jamaica among the Caribbean islands. Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados, Antigua, The Bahamas and St Kitts & Nevis are above $16,000. DOUBLE.

So where does this "DR is the richest country in the Caribbean" nonsense come from. Yes I know that many DR elites cannot stand the fact that its poorer than a bunch of little Caribbean islands run by black people, but it is what it is. And they will gladly hire Dominican women to be domestics and bar maids as well!

Understand this. Many in other parts of the Caribbean look at Dominicans with the same contempt because of their poverty as you look down on Haitians. Many jokes about how a Dominican woman would spread her legs for a few dollars.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Ocasio Cortez and the other three Congresswomen fear for their lives, fools. What do you think will happen to Dominican neighborhoods in NYC as women of color in Congress are targeted? Trump and his supporters are saying non white donít belong.

Have your passports ready. Iím not trolling. Only a blind person cannot see whatís coming.

Stop falling for Trump's hysteria. Time has come and gone and few undocumented migrants were caught and deported. Just Trump's manic ranting to get his white nationalist base excited, but nothing to report here.

Obama actually deported more people in all years, except 2015 and 2016, than Trump did in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas